Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Email effectiveness

In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice this
past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored and
I've had to send USPS letters instead. (I prefer such responses in writing
so I have an accurate record.) Hope those get read. This is getting more
and more common.

Evidently the great rise in spam and phish has caused companies to poorly
sort their incoming email or just ignore it unless they recognize the
sender.

The USPS shall rise again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

| In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice
this
| past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored and
| I've had to send USPS letters instead. (I prefer such responses in writing
| so I have an accurate record.) Hope those get read. This is getting more
| and more common.

It may be, but it's not my experience. I find that
it depends on people. Some use email a lot. Some
always read it but often don't bother to respond.
Others don't use their email accounts very much.
I'm surprised you'd see that with a company. It
sounds to me like they're either just not on the ball
or for some reason they don't want to bother with
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/2/2014 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:
In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice this
past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored ...

Direct e-mail or thru a web "Contact us" link? I'm not terribly
surprised at an outside email from an unknown domain; I'd be more so if
it were from their own source/link.

Then again, depending on the size of the company and the nature of the
question, I could see response time varying greatly all the way to the
bit-bucket for trivial stuff. I _would_ however, expect an automated
mailer response at a minimum from that route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I've found that some companies respond to emails or the "contact us" forms on their website, but some don't. My guess is that a lot of companies put up websites for advertising but either don't have the staff or understand the need to check their inboxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2014 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:
In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice this
past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored and
I've had to send USPS letters instead. (I prefer such responses in writing
so I have an accurate record.) Hope those get read. This is getting more
and more common.

Evidently the great rise in spam and phish has caused companies to poorly
sort their incoming email or just ignore it unless they recognize the
sender.

The USPS shall rise again!

I find email to still be quite effective but occasionally use regular
mail if I have someone really important to contact.

A few years back I got almost instant results by writing directly to the
CEO of the company I worked for. A serious problem that had "gone to
committee" was solved instantly and he had the VP call me with a "thank
you". Some of my managers were not too thrilled to hear that I had gone
over their heads but that was tough.

More recently I wrote directly to a major developer in town and much to
my surprise he sent me... via regular mail... a nice hand written note.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 May 2014 13:57:13 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/2/2014 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:
In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice this
past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored ...

Direct e-mail or thru a web "Contact us" link?

My stockbroker has his own personal Contact Me link, on the brokerage
webpage.. I suspect most brokers do.

But when I use that, they have control over the email. If they delete
my incoming email, I have no record that I sent one.

So I email him directly, with an brokerage address he gave me. So far,
he hasn't ignored me. But I can't help asking myself what the
upside of using the Contact Me link would be. And what all the
downsides of writing driectrly are.

Well, if there's a dispute and I've written to Contact Me, his boss,
everyone who outranks him, will know what I wrote and when, and there
will be no question that I did write. OTOH, I'd be glad to show them
my outgoing email, and also, they know -- I'm sure they keep a copy of
-- what comes in on his direct brokerage email address. OT3H, I could
address my direct email to an invalid address, and then go back with a
harddrive editor and change the address to his, or change the date to
one that makes me look good... Before I print it out.

I'm not terribly
surprised at an outside email from an unknown domain; I'd be more so if
it were from their own source/link.

Then again, depending on the size of the company and the nature of the
question, I could see response time varying greatly all the way to the
bit-bucket for trivial stuff. I _would_ however, expect an automated
mailer response at a minimum from that route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 May 2014 14:33:12 -0500, philo* wrote:

I find email to still be quite effective but occasionally use regular
mail if I have someone really important to contact.

A few years back I got almost instant results by writing directly to the
CEO of the company I worked for. A serious problem that had "gone to
committee" was solved instantly and he had the VP call me with a "thank
you". Some of my managers were not too thrilled to hear that I had gone
over their heads but that was tough.

More recently I wrote directly to a major developer in town and much to
my surprise he sent me... via regular mail... a nice hand written note.

Not about email, but a billionaire, iirc, died fairly recently here, and
my friend and I were discussing where he lived. I looked him up in the
phonebook (that is, switchboar.com) and he was listed, with his phone
number, his address, and even the apartment number.

I think he was in his 90's and the idea of an unlisted number was even
stranger for him than for me. Plus aiui, he was a totally honest
businessman, self-made, and probably didn't get phone calls at home from
angry people. People only do that when they get nowhere at someone's
work number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice this
past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored and
I've had to send USPS letters instead. (I prefer such responses in writing
so I have an accurate record.) Hope those get read. This is getting more
and more common.

Evidently the great rise in spam and phish has caused companies to poorly
sort their incoming email or just ignore it unless they recognize the
sender.

The USPS shall rise again!

Hi,
It is not a problem with email itself. email or snail mail if recipient
does not read them and take care of them, no difference. Been long since
I wrote a letter via PO. Also postage got almost doubled lately. When I
send email usually I enable the option to make sure it
is delivered(and read) Also email saves time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 May 2014 14:45:28 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hi,
It is not a problem with email itself. email or snail mail if recipient
does not read them and take care of them, no difference. Been long since
I wrote a letter via PO. Also postage got almost doubled lately. When I
send email usually I enable the option to make sure it
is delivered(and read) Also email saves time.

Depends on the reason for writing. Today, a letter printed on a nice
letterhead is likely to be notices more than hundreds of email the
same person may get.
If I want to thank someone, congratulate someone, I'll either type or
had write with a fountain pen. For about a half a buck to deliver it,
I think it is quite a bargain.

Recently, I used email through a web site requesting information. Two
companies failed to respond. This was about hydraulic parts and a
boiler feed pump. OK by me, my money went elsewhere. One purchase
was $2000, the other was $3500.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2014 03:02 PM, micky wrote:

Not about email, but a billionaire, iirc, died fairly recently here, and
my friend and I were discussing where he lived. I looked him up in the
phonebook (that is, switchboar.com) and he was listed, with his phone
number, his address, and even the apartment number.

I think he was in his 90's and the idea of an unlisted number was even
stranger for him than for me. Plus aiui, he was a totally honest
businessman, self-made, and probably didn't get phone calls at home from
angry people. People only do that when they get nowhere at someone's
work number.

I don't know any billionaires but...

ten years ago I used to do work for a local millionaire who turned
philanthropist.

One of the first jobs was to repair a lamp in his bedroom.

He literally had millions of dollars worth of art on the walls, but his
phone was a dial-phone. I'm sure his name and address were in the phone
book.

Occasionally I'd do some computer repair work for his wife and she was
on dial-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Bader

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 May 2014 17:27:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice this
past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored and
I've had to send USPS letters instead. (I prefer such responses in writing
so I have an accurate record.) Hope those get read. This is getting more
and more common.

Evidently the great rise in spam and phish has caused companies to poorly
sort their incoming email or just ignore it unless they recognize the
sender.

The USPS shall rise again!

If I write an E-mail of importance, I do a cc: and bc:. The headers
will show it was sent. Display the headers and print a copy.

Is does not mean is was read, though. In a corporate environment - use
an option that shows the email was received and opened. I recall it
sends a reply back saying the email was at least opened.

YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One exception is cards with hand writing for many different occasions.
Being retired almost 20 years now, I am of no importance to any one
any more. Lately many web sites have live chat. Some are very good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2014 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:

In my experience email is losing its effectiveness. For example, twice this

past week my email to a company with a question/problem was ignored ...

Direct e-mail or thru a web "Contact us" link? I'm not terribly

surprised at an outside email from an unknown domain; I'd be more so if

it were from their own source/link.

Then again, depending on the size of the company and the nature of the

question, I could see response time varying greatly all the way to the

bit-bucket for trivial stuff. I _would_ however, expect an automated

mailer response at a minimum from that route.

--

I've found that some companies respond to emails or the "contact us" forms on their website, but some don't. My guess is that a lot of companies put up websites for advertising but either don't have the staff or understand the need to check their inboxes.

Even worse, with all the "security" being implemented on e-mail, many
messages do not even make it through. Some bounce, so you know -
others either get caught in the spam filter or get put into the trash
- and others simply seem to dissapear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2014 6:54 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
One exception is cards with hand writing for many different occasions.
Being retired almost 20 years now, I am of no importance to any one
any more.

Hey, you;re important to us as a contributor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in :

I'm not terribly
surprised at an outside email from an unknown domain

Then why put your email address on your business card?

Some web sites do not have Contact Us links or they don't work - at least
with my up-to-date Firefox browser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* wrote in :

A few years back I got almost instant results by writing directly to the
CEO of the company

I used to do that often years ago when I had no success going though
channels when I had a product problem. Usually worked quickly and very
effectively. For example, I wrote the CEO of my former phone company when
for a month or more I couldn't get a repair guy and one showed up in a
couple of days.

Haven't tried it in the past few years though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in news:RmV8v.640747$dK.420314
@fx07.iad:

Lately many web sites have live chat. Some are very good.

Never tried that. Perhaps I should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in news:UtT8v.1067042$2N5.636802
@fx05.iad:

When I
send email usually I enable the option to make sure it
is delivered(and read)

How do you do that? I use gmail mostly, sometimes my ISP's email. I've
never noticed this option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 May 2014 17:54:49 GMT, KenK wrote:

philo* wrote in :

A few years back I got almost instant results by writing directly to the
CEO of the company

I used to do that often years ago when I had no success going though
channels when I had a product problem. Usually worked quickly and very
effectively. For example, I wrote the CEO of my former phone company when
for a month or more I couldn't get a repair guy and one showed up in a
couple of days.

Haven't tried it in the past few years though.

Letters to the Editor can work too. I took an adult class that was
given at the high school. Instructor told us that many of the
bathrooms don't work so use care and they have been like that for
years. I found out for myself they were in deplorable condition.

I had my letter published in the morning paper. That afternoon, work
started fixing them. I imagine the Superintendent of Schools in that
city was reading the morning paper and . . . oh ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:

When I
send email usually I enable the option to make sure it
is delivered(and read)

How do you do that? I use gmail mostly, sometimes my ISP's email. I've
never noticed this option.

It is an option in Microsoft Outlook. Not sure about others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 May 2014 17:57:35 GMT, KenK wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in news:RmV8v.640747$dK.420314
:

Lately many web sites have live chat. Some are very good.

Never tried that. Perhaps I should.

Live chat takes out the "thick accent" variable. You don't know if
you are communicating with Texas, Mumbai, or Londonderry, or anywhere
else when you are on chat. Which often does make it work better than
voice comm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 May 2014 14:30:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3 May 2014 17:59:32 GMT, KenK wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in news:UtT8v.1067042$2N5.636802
:

When I
send email usually I enable the option to make sure it
is delivered(and read)

How do you do that? I use gmail mostly, sometimes my ISP's email. I've
never noticed this option.

It is an option in Microsoft Outlook. Not sure about others.

Which is a good reason to use a REAL mail program instead of
"webmail"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2014 2:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
When I
send email usually I enable the option to make sure it
is delivered(and read)

How do you do that? I use gmail mostly, sometimes my ISP's email. I've
never noticed this option.

It is an option in Microsoft Outlook. Not sure about others.

"read reciept requested" comes to mind.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 May 2014 14:30:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3 May 2014 17:59:32 GMT, KenK wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in news:UtT8v.1067042$2N5.636802
:

When I
send email usually I enable the option to make sure it
is delivered(and read)

How do you do that? I use gmail mostly, sometimes my ISP's email. I've
never noticed this option.

It is an option in Microsoft Outlook. Not sure about others.

I think it's an option in every real mail client (i.e. mail program),
and probably not in any webmail setup. One more reason to use one, like
Eudora 7, which is now free (later versions are also free but they are
not really Eudora. They are mozilla software made to appear like
Eudora.)

It's called Return Receipt Requested. Although afaik, you can't
tell if it has been delievered, unless it's been opened. ????

And you can't tell if it's been read, only if it's been opened, and if
the recipient says, "Don't tell him even that", it won't. I presume
all of them work about the same way. The best situation woudl be that
mine had all those options and other programs could only obey my request
for a receipt, but I doubt it is that way. I usually cooperate,
howevrer.

I've used Erols/RCN/Starpower webmail and Verizon webmail, mostly when
traveling, and they have nowhere near the capabilities of real mail
client.

If one wants to keep his travel computer and his home computer
synchronized for email, he can use IMAP instead of POP. That's what
it's designed for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 May 2014 21:25:12 -0400, micky
wrote:

[...]

Don't know about Mozilla or Eudora, but outlook 2007 and above, for
sure, give a delivered report that the recipient has no control over,
The read report is a request that can be ignored.

And you can't tell if it's been read, only if it's been opened, and if
the recipient says, "Don't tell him even that", it won't. I presume
all of them work about the same way. The best situation woudl be that
mine had all those options and other programs could only obey my request
for a receipt, but I doubt it is that way. I usually cooperate,
howevrer.

I've used Erols/RCN/Starpower webmail and Verizon webmail, mostly when
traveling, and they have nowhere near the capabilities of real mail
client.

If one wants to keep his travel computer and his home computer
synchronized for email, he can use IMAP instead of POP. That's what
it's designed for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

return receipt Some some email s/w won't allow them to be sent.

On web contacts I just copy the filled out form by a print screen.

--
Tekkie