Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I may attempt to murder a gopher ... I just might stoop to thatlevel (so help me God)

Up until now I've been trying to pee down his hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid, pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/1...1d8bc73c_o.gif

But, this guy (or family?) is already turning my freshly wood-chipped "lawn" into dirt piles!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...f10033dd_o.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to get tougher than just using annoying chemicals!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D'Amico wrote in news
Up until now I've been trying to pee down his hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid,

pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/1...1d8bc73c_o.gif

That's *not* a gopher hole; it's waaaaaaay too small. You have chipmunks.

Get a rat trap, and bait it with raisins. If you have pets or small children, make sure they can't
reach it: a rat trap will crush a dog's or cat's paw, or a child's hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

use a live trap and relocate whatever is bothering you.

but seriously how bad are some chipmunk holes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2013 8:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
Up until now I've been trying to pee down his hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid, pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/1...1d8bc73c_o.gif

But, this guy (or family?) is already turning my freshly wood-chipped "lawn" into dirt piles!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...f10033dd_o.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to get tougher than just using annoying chemicals!

trap and drown.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller writes:

use a live trap and relocate whatever is bothering you.

but seriously how bad are some chipmunk holes?

Looked like a chipmunk to me too, but maybe more pictures
or observation would help.

I've got quite a few chipmunks, and sometimes they are a problem.
I had one get under the area my garden hose hangs and
the ground collapsed.

Then I had a city right by the front door that the postman
kept sinking into.

I mostly block the entrances so they go somewhere else.

My guests really like watching them scamper around at
barbecues. So, I say live with them but deal with digging
where you don't want it.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 01:47:30 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Get a rat trap, and bait it with raisins.

Actually, I've seen the guy, and he's not a chipmunk, but,
I realize you can only tell from his holes in the picture.

Here is a picture of the cute guy in the summer:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/1...c5dd5b36_o.jpg

And, here's a picture of the devastation on my "lawn" he wrought:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/1...2506924d_o.jpg

I don't like to kill - I just want him to go away - so I already
tried all the obnoxious chemicals I could find around my pool:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/1...e016e77b_o.jpg

Since then, I covered my "lawn" with wood chips. But, the darn
gopher is overturning them with a half-dozen holes daily.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7348/1...773a032d_o.gif

So, it's time to get tough. I already know the main methods, but,
I was hoping one of the "obnoxious" methods I was attempting would
just make him go away.

I know I can kill him with:
a) Exhaust from my vehicle
b) Special two-way traps for gophers
c) Poisons such as strychnine (which I've never seen in California)

I guess I can try these obnoxious methods:
d) Filling his holes up with the garden hose
e) Smoking 'em out with something called 'gopher flares'
f) Buying a few "gopher snakes" and letting them roam the lawn
g) Making repellent cotton balls out of Tabasco sause
h) I've heard filling the open gopher holes with dog poo works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D'Amico wrote in news
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 01:47:30 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Get a rat trap, and bait it with raisins.

Actually, I've seen the guy, and he's not a chipmunk, but,
I realize you can only tell from his holes in the picture.

Here is a picture of the cute guy in the summer:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/1...c5dd5b36_o.jpg

Even worse: you have chipmunks *and* a gopher.

And, here's a picture of the devastation on my "lawn" he wrought:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/1...2506924d_o.jpg

Yep, looks like a gopher hole.

[...]
Since then, I covered my "lawn" with wood chips. But, the darn
gopher is overturning them with a half-dozen holes daily.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7348/1...773a032d_o.gif

And *that* is a chipmunk hole.

Rat traps for the chipmunks, and a rat terrier for the gopher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 04:30:58 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

a rat terrier for the gopher.

I'm done with creating noxious gases out of pool chemicals.
I'll try some dog poop in each hole tomorrow.
Then, I'll move on to flooding them out.
If that doesn't work, a road flare or two may smoke 'em out.
And, if that still doesn't work, I might move on to the exhaust
gas method; but that actually kills 'em, so, I prefer not to move
forward to traps which do kill 'em fer' sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:19:50 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

BTW the chemical trick is bleach and ammonia but run like hell. It is
real WMD. (chlorine gas) along with a bunch of other nasties

I tried that already!
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/1...e016e77b_o.jpg

Didn't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:18:07 -0800, Todd wrote:

Dig out about a foot of their hole. Cram cat s-- down
the hole. Dried cat pee from the litter box works too.
Cover the hole back up. Felines are their mortal enemies.

Don't have cats; but, I was wondering a mechanical thing.

If I exhaust gas them out, how do you connect the exhaust pipe to
a 2" pool vacuum hose without melting the hose?

Any suggestions for a cheap and already available fitting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:12:17 -0800, Todd wrote:

On 11/29/2013 09:37 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
Don't have cats;

Borrow some poo from the neighbor's litter box.

Does that mean he has to return it later?

This is how kids get in trouble.

They start of saying to a classmate, "Can I borrow a sheet of paper",
when they have no intention of returning it, and the lender has no
expectation of getting it back.

Later they borrow a car from car dealer's parking lot.

Then they borrow 50,000 from the armored car guard.

And they figure they're borrowing, not stealing so it's all right.

Danny, be up front and set a good example for your kids. Tell the
people with the cat you want the poo for keeps. No backsies.

This way they won't grow up to be armored car robbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2013 8:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
Up until now I've been trying to pee down his hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid, pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/1...1d8bc73c_o.gif

But, this guy (or family?) is already turning my freshly wood-chipped "lawn" into dirt piles!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...f10033dd_o.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to get tougher than just using annoying chemicals!

Last spring was our first in our new home, and it didn't take long to
see that there were lots and lots of critters residing with us.
Chipmunks galore, thanks to the former owner and me leaving some indian
corn in the garden over winter. Dumb. With garden planting soon upon
us, I went out to get some really good chipmunk (rat) traps. They
couldn't be bothered with the peanut butter on the traps. Next idea,
limited use of poison. Apparently not appetizing. I was soon busy with
planting garden, putting in new flower beds, feeding grandkids, cleaning
koi pond, etc., so ignored the chippers for a while. Now I had moles
digging up the whole west side of the yard! Darn! $20 for a mole trap,
which is an extremely evil looking device....put in the mole trap, put
my plants back into the ground where there were tunnels, and wait.
Seems the moles were interested only in my newly turned soil in flower
beds; not ambitious enough to get into the lawn. They made exploratory
tunnels and then apparently departed. My tender new plants were doing
just fine in the garden, so I stopped worrying about the chipmunks for a
while. They used the bottom of our wood fence as a highway, and liked
to stop at the pond for refreshments. They didn't like where I planted
some seeds and bulbs, so they moved a few. They planted sorghum next to
the back door. Then a neighborhood cat started showing up in our yard
and patrolling along the garden fence. The rabbits disappeared and the
chippers apparently moved out. Very few of them around after mid
summer. There is one chipmunk that lives in the pile of rocks that
forms a waterfall for the pond, and he isn't shy at all. Runs right by
me when out and about, and likes the dead tomatoes that fall of plants.
Son's schnauzer likes tomatoes, too.

Why on earth cover the yard with wood chips? Plant ground cover and
then forget about weeds and chipmunks. Deer LOVE hosta....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message
news
I guess I can try these obnoxious methods:
d) Filling his holes up with the garden hose

I tried that once. Shoved the hose in as far as possible (6-8 feet) and let
it run. Our soil is sand and all the water did was soak in, burrow never
flooded. Went to pull out the hose, no way...the burrow had collapsed
around it and I had to dig it out. YMMV

I've learned to live with gophers. They move around quite a bit so wait and
he will go next door.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2013 7:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
Up until now I've been trying to pee down his hole with chemicals,
such as hydrochloric acid, pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/1...1d8bc73c_o.gif

But, this guy (or family?) is already turning my freshly wood-chipped
"lawn" into dirt piles!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...f10033dd_o.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to get tougher than just using annoying
chemicals!

There is a way. ^_^

http://www.rodenator.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 06:45:35 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Why on earth cover the yard with wood chips? Plant ground cover and
then forget about weeds and chipmunks. Deer LOVE hosta....

California. Doesn't rain for 8 months of the year. Why put water on
a lawn if nature didn't intend grass to grow there?

Wood chips, I was assuming, didn't need maintenance.
Plus, I have a huge amount.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/1...ac2ec144_o.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 12:35 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:19:50 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

BTW the chemical trick is bleach and ammonia but run like hell. It is
real WMD. (chlorine gas) along with a bunch of other nasties

I tried that already!
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/1...e016e77b_o.jpg

Didn't work.

I had some success with lit road flare "highway
fusee" stuffed into the hole, and then back fill
with rocks and dirt.

Firearm and hollow points has such a much more
satisfying feel to it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 7:30 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 06:45:35 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Why on earth cover the yard with wood chips? Plant ground cover and
then forget about weeds and chipmunks. Deer LOVE hosta....

California. Doesn't rain for 8 months of the year. Why put water on
a lawn if nature didn't intend grass to grow there?

Who said anything about water? ;o)

Wood chips, I was assuming, didn't need maintenance.
Plus, I have a huge amount.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/1...ac2ec144_o.gif

Ooooohh............then lets plan for termites, then carpenter ants.
Solution: ant eater.

How large an area are you covering?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 12:10 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 04:30:58 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

a rat terrier for the gopher.

I'm done with creating noxious gases out of pool chemicals.
I'll try some dog poop in each hole tomorrow.
Then, I'll move on to flooding them out.
If that doesn't work, a road flare or two may smoke 'em out.
And, if that still doesn't work, I might move on to the exhaust
gas method; but that actually kills 'em, so, I prefer not to move
forward to traps which do kill 'em fer' sure.

At a hardware store, I did see a gadget, that allows
you to park a vehicle near the hole, and run exhaust
into the gopher hole. I figure it would either bug out
the other hole, or die in place and stink.

I tried one time to flood it out with the garden hose,
but 15 minutes or so, and no results I could tell.

Wonder if the actor Bill Murray makes house calls?
Hello, Mr. Groundhog, this is Mr. Squirrel, your
friend....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2013 10:36 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
bob haller writes:

use a live trap and relocate whatever is bothering you.

but seriously how bad are some chipmunk holes?

Looked like a chipmunk to me too, but maybe more pictures
or observation would help.

I've got quite a few chipmunks, and sometimes they are a problem.
I had one get under the area my garden hose hangs and
the ground collapsed.

Then I had a city right by the front door that the postman
kept sinking into.

I mostly block the entrances so they go somewhere else.

My guests really like watching them scamper around at
barbecues. So, I say live with them but deal with digging
where you don't want it.

1) Trap and move is ineffective. My Dad did that
with squirrels in the bird feeder. He concluded
it was like trying to make a hole in the ocean
by dipping on one side of the boat, and pour onto
the other.
2) Shooting the squirrel in your bird feeder is
ineffective. My Dad's friend Vic (world war two
vet) shot the squirrel in his feeder. Another one
arrived the next day. he gave up after having shot
300 squirrels.
3) Chipmunks are cute, but I've known them to do
incredible damage. Try feeding them fruit dipped in
auto antifreeze, see if that helps.

The RKBA ain't about duck hunting, or deer hunting.
It's about politicians and rodents, who are often
indistinguishable.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 12:18 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi Danny,

Dig out about a foot of their hole. Cram cat s-- down
the hole. Dried cat pee from the litter box works too.
Cover the hole back up. Felines are their mortal enemies.

-T

I know if I lived in a neighborhood where people
crammed cat**** in my home and left, I'd be sure
to move.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2013 10:55 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 01:47:30 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Here is a picture of the cute guy in the summer:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/1...c5dd5b36_o.jpg

And, here's a picture of the devastation on my "lawn" he wrought:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/1...2506924d_o.jpg

I don't like to kill - I just want him to go away - so I already
tried all the obnoxious chemicals I could find around my pool:

My trailer park has a trap they put out, and they
do catch and move and release. Wasted effort.
On the roads near me, I see woodchuck / groundhog
all the time near the roads. Scampering about.
This part of the world has plenty of them. I could
trap and kill five a day, and hardly affect the
population.

You may be unable to do much about things.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 12:25 AM, Todd wrote:
Dig out about a foot of their hole. Cram cat s-- down
the hole. Dried cat pee from the litter box works too.
Cover the hole back up. Felines are their mortal enemies.

-T

What? Real men don't have cats? Try this: "Excuse me kind
neighbor. Might I impose upon you for a steaming hot cup
of cat s---?" Should do the trick. :-D

-T

I am going to the bad hell for jokes like that. I just
know I am going to wind up playing golf for eternity
with Stormin' :'(

I've already used the word cat**** on Usenet,
so we'll have each other for company. Well, at
least I didn't use the A word, the B word, the
C word.... oh, wait, cat****. I'm doomed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 05:35:27 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

BTW the chemical trick is bleach and ammonia but run like hell. It is
real WMD. (chlorine gas) along with a bunch of other nasties

I tried that already!
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/1...e016e77b_o.jpg

This article seems to be pretty good about what to do:
http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/pocketgophers.asp

It seems to indicate I have a Bottas (or valley) pocket gopher:
Thomism bottae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botta%27s_pocket_gopher

Since you have to know thine enemy before you can make it leave,
I'm researching a bit on this particular species set.

The female produces one litter of about 6 gophers per year and
the babies live on average about 3 years. Their deep lodge system
can easily be 1 to 3 meters below ground, but their tunnels are
shallower, at about 10 to 50 cm deep. They move about above ground
mostly at night but are most active underground in the afternoon.
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...omomys_bottae/

However, this article says they breed thrice a year:
http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/thombott.htm

Since they feed wholly on plant matter, you'd think they would
go away once I covered the "lawn" with chips...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 4:17 AM, Todd wrote:

Golf with Stormin' in eternity can't be all that bad, can it?

The gophers in the next yard thing actually happened to my
sister's neighbors after a good helping of cat s--- down
their holes. She is single and did not have to borrow
any.

Perhaps we can look up bill Murray, and see if he
needs help as a greenskeeper? We can spend eternity
chasing gophers, and waking up for groundhog day,
repeatedly.

Ah, that could make for a fun movie.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 08:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I see woodchuck / groundhog
all the time near the roads. Scampering about.
This part of the world has plenty of them. I could
trap and kill five a day,

http://www.wildliferecipes.net/game_...ipes/index.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 05:37:39 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

I was wondering a mechanical thing.

"10 PSI on the Propane & 80 PSI on the Oxygen. Only putting Oxygen in
75% of the time"

The guy will send you plans to make a Rodenator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4CNsRwtFy8

http://www.rodenator.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was wondering a mechanical thing.

"10 PSI on the Propane & 80 PSI on the Oxygen. Only putting Oxygen in
75% of the time"

The guy will send you plans to make a Rodenator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4CNsRwtFy8

http://www.rodenator.com/

If you pump enough oxy propane into the hole,
you could start a heck of an earth quake. The
seismic recorder guys would send you membership
subscriptions. Is that what they did in Vietnam,
with the VC tunnels? Might research that. More
likely gasoline poured into the tunnels. Or
gas grenades. Smoke grenades.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 9:46 AM, Oren wrote:
"10 PSI on the Propane & 80 PSI on the Oxygen. Only putting Oxygen in
75% of the time"

The guy will send you plans to make a Rodenator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4CNsRwtFy8

http://www.rodenator.com/

Wonder if you can find retired tunnel rats?
http://www.warchapter.com/Vietnam_war_Tunnels.html
You could hire forestry planes, and do carpet bombing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller writes:

[...]

Squirrels are evil.

2) Shooting the squirrel in your bird feeder is
ineffective. My Dad's friend Vic (world war two
vet) shot the squirrel in his feeder. Another one
arrived the next day. he gave up after having shot
300 squirrels.

Squirrels are evil. He stopped about 10,000 short.

3) Chipmunks are cute, but I've known them to do
incredible damage.

I've never known them to do "incredible" damage. I've never bothered
them. I'd never be allowed to.

Try feeding them fruit dipped in auto antifreeze, see if that helps.

That is just animal cruelty. Shoot them if you need to. Trap them if
necessary. Poisoning them with antifreeze is horrible. I'm surprised
you came up with that one, Mormon.

The RKBA ain't about duck hunting, or deer hunting.
It's about politicians and rodents, who are often
indistinguishable.

If you'd said, "snakes", I'd agree. Politicians aren't cute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 05:10:28 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 04:30:58 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

a rat terrier for the gopher.

I'm done with creating noxious gases out of pool chemicals.
I'll try some dog poop in each hole tomorrow.
Then, I'll move on to flooding them out.
If that doesn't work, a road flare or two may smoke 'em out.
And, if that still doesn't work, I might move on to the exhaust
gas method; but that actually kills 'em, so, I prefer not to move
forward to traps which do kill 'em fer' sure.

Before you go down this road, you should watch "Caddy Shack". It's
only funny because it's true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 03:18:41 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:12:17 -0800, Todd wrote:

On 11/29/2013 09:37 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
Don't have cats;

Borrow some poo from the neighbor's litter box.

Does that mean he has to return it later?

This is how kids get in trouble.

They start of saying to a classmate, "Can I borrow a sheet of paper",
when they have no intention of returning it, and the lender has no
expectation of getting it back.

Later they borrow a car from car dealer's parking lot.

Then they borrow 50,000 from the armored car guard.

The they borrow $17,000,000,000,000.00 from their unborn children. But
that's OK, because they can be killed before they have to pay. Someone
else's children can pay.

And they figure they're borrowing, not stealing so it's all right.

Danny, be up front and set a good example for your kids. Tell the
people with the cat you want the poo for keeps. No backsies.

This way they won't grow up to be armored car robbers.

....or Democrats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 10:26 AM, wrote:

Before you go down this road, you should watch "Caddy Shack". It's
only funny because it's true.

I remembered there was a Bil Murray movie.
Yep, that's the one. Thanks for reminding
me.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D'Amico wrote:
Up until now I've been trying to pee down his hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid, pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/1...1d8bc73c_o.gif

But, this guy (or family?) is already turning my freshly wood-chipped "lawn" into dirt piles!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...f10033dd_o.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to get tougher than just using annoying chemicals!

Live Trap and relocate.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/o5cju7j

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D'Amico wrote:

Up until now I've been trying to pee down his hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid, pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/1...1d8bc73c_o.gif

But, this guy (or family?) is already turning my freshly wood-chipped "lawn" into dirt piles!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...f10033dd_o.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to get tougher than just using annoying chemicals!

Give these a try:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQLWCS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You need to have a clear tunnel. I use a short piece of plastic hose
to stuff down and make sure that it is clear. These work best on a
new or recently use tunnel.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:07:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had some success with lit road flare "highway
fusee" stuffed into the hole, and then back fill
with rocks and dirt

Can a road flare burn without air?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 16:52:17 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:07:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had some success with lit road flare "highway
fusee" stuffed into the hole, and then back fill
with rocks and dirt

Can a road flare burn without air?

You mentioned car exhaust earlier (?...

This guy did it:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrwNpxyaiA

One commenter suggest using an engine with a carburetor///
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:07:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had some success with lit road flare "highway
fusee" stuffed into the hole, and then back fill
with rocks and dirt

Can a road flare burn without air?

Sure. They'll burn underwater, once struck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2013 6:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
Up until now I've been trying to pee down his

hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid,

pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.

But, this guy (or family?) is already turning

my freshly wood-chipped "lawn" into dirt piles!

gif

Looks like I'm going to have to get tougher

than just using annoying chemicals!

Learn to trap them. It's simple. Get a Macabee trap,
and no other brand.
..
The secrets are few. Put a small chain or cord
on the trap so the gopher can't drag it down
into the tunnel.

One, always dig into the freshest, darkest
dirt pile you see. Get one of those metal Army
surplus type spoons. Dig down until you find the
tunnel, looking for the soft dirt and probing with the
small end of the spoon, and here's secret 2.
Open the tunnel up
side to side so the grabbers on the trap don't
hit the sides of the walls. You just have to widen the
spot where your trap will go, not the whole thing.
Go about 8" to 12" deep if you can.
Cock the trap. Use your forefinger to push forward on
the little trip flap to keep it from triggering as
you slide it down into the tunnel. After placement,
put the spoon in the tunnel to block
the dirt you will push in there from triggering
the trap. Put an orange cone on it so you can find
it. It takes me 4 to 12 hours to catch one. They are
active at all times, so just check it every 12 hours or so.
If you don't get it, move it to the freshest pile
if he has piled up another, recognizing it by the darkness
of it, as he has used wet dirt from underground.

Short story, I made a www.rodinator.com and had some very
interesting experiences with it, some not so good. I am a
gadget guy, but that scared me, and I dismantled it. Two
guys in Canada burned up several buildings, and caused
$600,000 USD damage with one. It was fun, but was dangerous
around houses, and trapping works MUCH better.

Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to trap them. Do not use
poison, as your dog or neighbor's cat can eat a poisoned
gopher and die.

It is actually very easy. e mail me if you need more info.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2013 11:52 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:07:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had some success with lit road flare "highway
fusee" stuffed into the hole, and then back fill
with rocks and dirt

Can a road flare burn without air?

Yes, it has oxidizer chemicals. Saltpeter,
etc. Well, the old round red ones with the
black phosphorous lighter on the end, did.
Not sure what's sold these days.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2013 7:33 PM, bob haller wrote:
use a live trap and relocate whatever is bothering you.

but seriously how bad are some chipmunk holes?

I can see you have never been around gophers, as you
call them chipmunks. The holes are big enough for a
person, horse, farm animal, or dog to step into and
snap a leg bone.

Steve

Pouring A New Concrete Stoop DerbyDad03 Home Repair 10 July 11th 12 03:39 PM
Rebuilding Front Stoop With Pavers DerbyDad03 Home Repair 4 April 17th 11 06:52 PM
Repair front stoop Jim Home Repair 1 August 28th 08 06:47 PM
Sinking stoop Phisherman Home Repair 15 June 21st 07 10:05 PM
Need advice on stained concrete stoop Gina Home Repair 2 May 7th 07 10:24 PM