Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Repair front stoop

I've got a front stoop in need of attention. Basic construction is
concrete block external walls with soil/sand filler. Steps and some trim
edges are red brick.

The top edges are brick with the center being cement with blue slate
pads. This is where the problem exists as moisture got underneath and
has pushed up the slate to where they might cause a person to trip. Much
of the surrounding cement is weak and crumbles.

I know the basics will be to remove the slate and chisel out the old
cement. Question is then how to best prepare that project so the new
cement will hold properly? Do I need some kind of chemical prepping so
the new will adhere to the old? How many inches thick should that top
layer be for strength and durability?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim wrote:
I've got a front stoop in need of attention. Basic construction is
concrete block external walls with soil/sand filler. Steps and some trim
edges are red brick.

The top edges are brick with the center being cement with blue slate
pads. This is where the problem exists as moisture got underneath and
has pushed up the slate to where they might cause a person to trip. Much
of the surrounding cement is weak and crumbles.

I know the basics will be to remove the slate and chisel out the old
cement. Question is then how to best prepare that project so the new
cement will hold properly? Do I need some kind of chemical prepping so
the new will adhere to the old? How many inches thick should that top
layer be for strength and durability?

This old "cement" is probably actually mortar, not concrete???

("Cement" is the dry powder that is used to make concrete, not the
finished product, just for terminology so all talk the same thing, btw)

Anyway, what you need depends on what you find. If it's just poured on
the fill, need to ensure it's a good base and, if it were me, I'd pour a
standard 3" sidewalk thickness as the base and then re-lay the slate in
a mortar bed on that rather than put it in the concrete itself.

If what you're talking about is actually a mortar bet to begin with,
where to go after getting it off depends on what you find underneath--it
may be there's a decent subbase and a new mortar bed will be good for
years, maybe it needs replacing, maybe...

Best way to repair a solid front door Brian Henderson Woodworking 27 March 6th 08 05:35 AM
Sinking stoop Phisherman Home Repair 15 June 21st 07 10:05 PM
Need advice on stained concrete stoop Gina Home Repair 2 May 7th 07 10:24 PM
Supernova travel stoop screw. SR Woodturning 5 December 20th 06 07:04 PM
Broken concrete stoop - repair or replace? cas Home Repair 10 August 27th 06 05:18 AM