Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
SR SR is offline

Default Supernova travel stoop screw.

Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before
coming out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

SR
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

some of us find it convenient to eliminate that screw so it's easier to take
the chuck apart for cleaning - of course doing so obligates you to pay
attention and not open it up too far and expect it to work.
"SR" wrote in message
news
Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before coming
out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

SR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"SR" wrote in message
news
Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before coming
out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

Both mine have them, and it's a weird little beggar, so if you want the
memory aid, you'd have to get them from a supplier. It's supposed to
protect you from yourself and the company from your lawyer, though if you
always use a mortise, the piece will hold the slides from unwinding. For a
tenon you could get some inertial unwind, so if you use them at max
expansion rather than minimum, which is most effective, you might get into
trouble before you feel the piece wobble. Especially with something like
Cole jaws.

Watch that little bugger. As Bill says, it's deliberately in the way, so
when you open to eject dirt and add lube, you'll often forget and be
cranking and cussing about why the jaws won't thread out. DAMHIKT

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
SR SR is offline

William Noble wrote:
some of us find it convenient to eliminate that screw so it's easier to take
the chuck apart for cleaning - of course doing so obligates you to pay
attention and not open it up too far and expect it to work.
"SR" wrote in message
news
Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before coming
out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

SR

Thats the problem!!! I'd like to increasse the travel very slightly to
accomodate a bigger bowl, but since it ain't there to remove I'm
wondering if there was a design revision.

Either that, or I'm being really stoopid.,,,

SR
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This was initially brought in to comply with European Union safety
regulations, and is there to stop the cracked knuckles that you can get with
engineering lathe chucks - and they HURT, as I have found out from personal
experience!

Tony Wells.

"SR" wrote in message
news
Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before coming
out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

SR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

SR wrote:
Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before
coming out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

The stop screw can either be found under jaw slide 1 or jaw slide 3. If
the screw is under jaw slide 1 (as shown in the manual) then the jaws
can be extended a little way beyond the body (about 3mm), but cannot be
unscrewed completely. If it's under jaw slide 3 (European safety
regulations mode) the jaws cannot be extended past the edge of the chuck
body at all.

Mine came standard with the screw under jaw slide 3, but you can just
take it out and move it as I did.

--
Alun Saunders

Broken concrete stoop - repair or replace? cas Home Repair 10 August 27th 06 05:18 AM
SuperNova chuck Kevin Woodturning 1 April 26th 05 05:37 PM
SuperNova 2 chuck Gerald Ross Woodturning 3 November 11th 04 11:34 AM
Supernova II Chuck Barry N. Turner Woodturning 2 August 29th 04 05:05 AM
Supernova 2 chuck guy Woodturning 13 May 28th 04 08:29 PM