Barry N. Turner

Default Supernova II Chuck

Has anyone seen a new Supernova II Chuck? ? ? I have one Supernova and have
been totally satisfied with it; albeit turning small stuff on a Jet Mini.

Now, I have a Stubby on order and am in the market for another new chuck.
Is this new version worth a look? How about the big one, the Nova Titan
Chuck? I'm tempted to just go for another Supernova while they are still on
the shelves. Comments please?

Barry

Lyn J. Mangiameli

I haven't had a chance to get put a SuperNova2 through its paces yet,
but given that it is mostly a downsized Titan, I would say that it
should be an excellent midsized chuck. Indeed, it has a few features,
like the build in indexing (which for me is useless) that its slightly
older big brother doesn't even have.

I certainly find the Titan to be an excellent chuck and use it all the
time for coring, when before I usually used faceplates. I think it has
the very best key arrangement currently available, going Vicmark one
better by having a ball end on the key which makes insertion even easier
and allows for a little angling of the key.

You can get a pdf of the Titan review I did for More Woodturning he

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

and since that review the Titan has gotten even better with some minor
upgrades in gearing that make it an even smoother chuck.

I think you will be happy with either chuck, but since you are getting a
Stubby and are apt to want to maximally use its capabilities, I think
you might be even happier with the Titan.

Lyn

Supernova 2 chuck guy Woodturning 13 May 28th 04 08:29 PM
Attaching a Supernova chuck to a South Bend Lathe? Leo Van Der Loo Woodturning 5 March 19th 04 07:34 AM
Supernova chuck pricing? ghayward Woodturning 6 January 26th 04 11:36 AM
Teknatool Titan Chuck draft review Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 1 January 12th 04 05:07 PM
Supernova Chuck on Jet Mini? Rusty Myers Woodturning 10 November 4th 03 12:33 AM