ghayward

Default Supernova chuck pricing?

I live in Cape Town South Africa & am about to purchase a Supernova chuck &
adapter for my lathe. The price is R1800 which works out to more than
US$260. This is almost as much as I paid for my lathe! Is this a reasonable
price? I don't mind spending on quality tools but this appears to be out of
proportion to other equipment I've bought. What prices out there have other
people paid?

Graeme Hayward

wally

Hi Graeme
Don't know what the currency conversion would be, but I got mine
here in the UK for £130. ( British pounds ) last December.
HTH.

Wally

&
adapter for my lathe. The price is R1800 which works out to more than
US$260. This is almost as much as I paid for my lathe! Is this a

reasonable
price? I don't mind spending on quality tools but this appears to be out

of
proportion to other equipment I've bought. What prices out there have

other
people paid?

Graeme Hayward

Dr. Deb

ghayward wrote:

I live in Cape Town South Africa & am about to purchase a Supernova chuck
& adapter for my lathe. The price is R1800 which works out to more than
US$260. This is almost as much as I paid for my lathe! Is this a
reasonable price? I don't mind spending on quality tools but this appears
to be out of proportion to other equipment I've bought. What prices out
there have other people paid?

Graeme Hayward

Graeme, If you just "gotta" have a supernova try do a "Google" search and
look for a place in Vancouver Canada. price is quite a bit below what you
paid. A second alternative is go to the Penn State Industries site and
look at their chucks. They have a Chinese knock off for about $45.00US and
a house brand for not a whole lot more.

Deb
James Barley

That place in Vancouver Canada is KMS Tools...

http://www.kmstools.com/main.php?scr...ts/cat.php?4&2

James Barley
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
ghayward wrote:

[...]

Reyd Dorakeen

How come the teknatool site doesnt have all the Nova chucks that KMS
does?(compact) the dovetail scraper is close to twice the price from the
teknatool site, are the chucks the same?(more expensive then elsewhere).
isnt there another Nova chuck called the talon, or something like that? is
it made by teknatool too(they don't have it on their website either)
in article Uq%Qb.274221$X%5.215563@pd7tw2no, James Barley at

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
ghayward wrote:

[...]

billh

The Talon is made by Oneway which is located in Ontario, Canada. The Oneway
products are superior to the Nova products IMO but the Nova products are
quite satisfactory and less expensive. A lot of good turners do a lot of
good work with them.
Billh

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
ghayward wrote:

[...]

George

Sounds steep, but I have no idea what "comes with" beyond the adapter. Some
sellers package with two or three sets of jaws, which would drive up the
price. Some countries have import duties and taxes which would do the
same. You've got a web's worth of answers to the first, but there is no
answer to the second.

If you want some free advice, get the 25mm pin jaws, 50mm standard and 35 mm
spigot jaws. The pin jaws are superb for roughing and for small work, and
the 35mm spigot jaws have squared cutouts, unlike the 45mm, allowing a quick
center chuck for square billets.