DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Supernova travel stoop screw. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/184265-supernova-travel-stoop-screw.html)

SR November 29th 06 09:29 PM

Supernova travel stoop screw.

Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before
coming out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

SR

William Noble November 30th 06 12:12 AM

Supernova travel stoop screw.

some of us find it convenient to eliminate that screw so it's easier to take
the chuck apart for cleaning - of course doing so obligates you to pay
attention and not open it up too far and expect it to work.

George November 30th 06 01:23 PM

"SR" wrote in message
Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before coming
out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

Both mine have them, and it's a weird little beggar, so if you want the
memory aid, you'd have to get them from a supplier. It's supposed to
protect you from yourself and the company from your lawyer, though if you
always use a mortise, the piece will hold the slides from unwinding. For a
tenon you could get some inertial unwind, so if you use them at max
expansion rather than minimum, which is most effective, you might get into
trouble before you feel the piece wobble. Especially with something like
Cole jaws.

Watch that little bugger. As Bill says, it's deliberately in the way, so
when you open to eject dirt and add lube, you'll often forget and be
cranking and cussing about why the jaws won't thread out. DAMHIKT

SR November 30th 06 10:55 PM

"SR" wrote in message

Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before coming
out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

SR

Thats the problem!!! I'd like to increasse the travel very slightly to
accomodate a bigger bowl, but since it ain't there to remove I'm
wondering if there was a design revision.

Either that, or I'm being really stoopid.,,,

SR

Tony Wells December 20th 06 04:37 PM

Supernova travel stoop screw.

This was initially brought in to comply with European Union safety
regulations, and is there to stop the cracked knuckles that you can get with
engineering lathe chucks - and they HURT, as I have found out from personal
experience!

Tony Wells.

Alun December 20th 06 07:04 PM

SR wrote:
Anyone know if they changed the design of the Supanova chuck before
coming out with the latest version? (NB, I do mean Supernova, and not
Supernova2). I just looked in the manual -online at:

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...upermanual.pdf

and where it says there should be a 'Travel stop screw' to stop the jaw
slides being unscrewed to far, it ain't there.

The stop screw can either be found under jaw slide 1 or jaw slide 3. If
the screw is under jaw slide 1 (as shown in the manual) then the jaws
can be extended a little way beyond the body (about 3mm), but cannot be
unscrewed completely. If it's under jaw slide 3 (European safety
regulations mode) the jaws cannot be extended past the edge of the chuck
body at all.

Mine came standard with the screw under jaw slide 3, but you can just
take it out and move it as I did.

--
Alun Saunders