Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connector ID please

what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this
but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search
keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable
batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take
12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS
when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Two come to mind. One is "lighter plug" which is the automobile version.
Other is "coaxial power plug". I think.... hang on.

Coaxial :
http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/8/5/...l_00563558.jpg

Coaxial to 9 volt clip (looks useful)

http://www.active123.com/310645-Coax...-Prodview.html

Lighter plug to coaxial adaptor:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-P...316299466.html

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/12/2013 10:12 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this
but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search
keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable
batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take
12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS
when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this
but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search
keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable
batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take
12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS
when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Post a picture somewhere as there are dozens of different "battery"
connectors. Molex, AMP Mate and lock, Anderson Power Pole, various
"coaxial" styles, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 11:12 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this
but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search
keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable
batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take
12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS
when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Post a picture somewhere as there are dozens of different "battery"
connectors. Molex, AMP Mate and lock, Anderson Power Pole, various
"coaxial" styles, etc.

Sorry, I had thought I'd copied and pasted a link to a specific product,
but it clearly didn't "take." (I don't know why, sometimes ctrl-c,
ctrl-v works, sometimes it doesn't.) I'm sure I've seen a larger
version of this same connector used for electric winches as well. Let's
try this again... THIS external battery pack connector.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SU1...qid=1379002059

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:08:21 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:
....Snip...

Sorry, I had thought I'd copied and pasted a link to a specific product,
but it clearly didn't "take." (I don't know why, sometimes ctrl-c,
ctrl-v works, sometimes it doesn't.) I'm sure I've seen a larger
version of this same connector used for electric winches as well. Let's
try this again... THIS external battery pack connector.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SU1...qid=1379002059

nate

I'm confused. That link is to a rack mount UPS. Why are you calling it a "connector"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 12:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:08:21 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:
...Snip...

Sorry, I had thought I'd copied and pasted a link to a specific product,
but it clearly didn't "take." (I don't know why, sometimes ctrl-c,
ctrl-v works, sometimes it doesn't.) I'm sure I've seen a larger
version of this same connector used for electric winches as well. Let's
try this again... THIS external battery pack connector.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SU1...qid=1379002059

nate

I'm confused. That link is to a rack mount UPS. Why are you calling it a "connector"?

That's the connector that I'm trying to identify, the one used for the
external battery pack for that UPS. I was hoping to be able to purchase
the connector and then connect it to a lighter socket or terminal strip
so that I could use natively 12VDC devices in the house without using
wall warts.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 09:37 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

What connector? All I see is a UPS.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 12:48 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Look at the back of it, there's a red and black plastic connector on the
back panel, intended for attaching an expansion battery pack

This looks like the same connector...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-OMN.../dp/B0002935BA

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...allouts-LG.jpg

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 9/12/2013 12:01 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Look at the back of it, there's a red and black plastic connector on
the back panel, intended for attaching an expansion battery pack

This looks like the same connector...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-OMN.../dp/B0002935BA

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...allouts-LG.jpg

nate

Anderson Connector

http://www.andersonpower.com/product...onnectors.html

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 01:29 PM, LdB wrote:
On 9/12/2013 12:01 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Look at the back of it, there's a red and black plastic connector on
the back panel, intended for attaching an expansion battery pack

This looks like the same connector...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-OMN.../dp/B0002935BA

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...allouts-LG.jpg

nate

Anderson Connector

http://www.andersonpower.com/product...onnectors.html

LdB

Thank you! I knew someone would know if I could just find a good enough
picture.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On 09/12/2013 01:29 PM, LdB wrote:
On 9/12/2013 12:01 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Look at the back of it, there's a red and black plastic connector on
the back panel, intended for attaching an expansion battery pack

This looks like the same connector...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-OMN.../dp/B0002935BA

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...allouts-LG.jpg

nate

Anderson Connector

http://www.andersonpower.com/product...onnectors.html

LdB

Thank you! I knew someone would know if I could just find a good enough
picture.

I agree that it looks like a Powerpole connector. There are several
differant sizes of them. Often a connector for the positive and another for
the negative and you use a small pin to connect them together.

You are talking about 12 volt devices, doesn't that connector have 24
volts on it ?

Inverters are often ran on other than 12 volts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2013 10:46 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Nate wrote in message
[...]

Yup! The connector is for an external "battery pack" 24 volts.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

"Anderson Power Pole"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 01:46 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Dangit you're right!

I was getting the Tripp-Lite unit confused with the last one I replaced
the battery in... which was an old APC unit with a single typical 12V
7AH security battery... the TL unit uses TWO batteries... and sure
enough they're in series! And the other two UPSes that I still have
also use two batteries as well, I gave the old one to a friend of mine a
while back.

Well there goes a perfectly good idea.

I do have a 12VDC benchtop power supply as well as a CTEK battery
charger with a "power supply" mode so it's not like I can't make my
stuff work. I was just thinking that since the UPS was powered up all
the time anyway I could avoid adding any more transformer losses to the
power bill... but c'est la vie

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

You need something like this $ 5 device including shipping to drop the
voltage at high efficency.

I would not take the maximum current they list as the actual ammount you can
use for long periods of time.

261222501361
eBay item number:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 02:15 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting idea... however my battery charger's wall wart is rated at
12V 2A and I was hoping to be able to run 2 or 3 of these simultaneously
so that is probably pushing it. (I may be charging NiMH cells, NiMH
"9V" batteries, and/or Li-Ion cells, and that's three different chargers
unfortunately...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2013 9:12 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this
but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search
keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable
batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take
12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS
when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate

Perhaps this link will help you out? I have a number of large UPS units
and I needed the info anyway. ^_^

http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cables/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2013 9:12 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this
but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search
keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable
batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take
12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS
when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate

Perhaps this link will help you out? I have a number of large UPS units
and I needed the info anyway. ^_^

http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cables/

TDD

I think it's been confirmed that they're Anderson Powerpole, this would
have solved the problem nicely

http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cab...powerpole.html

if I had a smaller unit, but as another poster pointed out, the decently
sized ones are actually 24VDC not 12VDC. D'oh.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2013 03:02 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Oh, and searching for "powerpole winch" reveals that I wasn't smoking
crack, they are apparently used for winch wiring as well. But for some
reason I couldn't find it without knowing the name...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2013 2:02 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I rebuild UPS units and take bad batteries to the recycler all the time.
I'll never understand why people throw the units out when
all they need are new batteries. I suppose it's good for me but the
dummies still toss perfectly good equipment. I just put two new AGM
batteries in a 750va UPS that would cost $400.00 new, $32.00 for new
batteries. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/13 03:27 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I used to replace APC UPSes because a new "genuine APC" battery pack
cost more than a new UPS on sale from Staples, Costco, etc. However,
having not thrown out the old UPSes, I have simply bought new batteries
for some of them and returned them to service. The last few batteries
came from Chrome Battery (with which I have no relationship other than
as a satisfied customer).

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Well, the $100 ones it probably isn't worth it, because a newer one
will have better features (able to e.g. shut off your printer, scanner,
etc. for you when you power down your PC) but I agree in principle.
This unit I'm using would retail for over $400, I picked it up for $100
used figuring that it would need batteries, guess what, I got luck,
batteries are still good (for now, anyway.)

I wouldn't mind replacing some of my other ones with better quality
ones, but I can't justify the cost now, and they're only backing up
computer equipment anyway, which contrary to popular belief is not
really that picky about the power that you feed through it. The reason
for searching out a good, double-conversion UPS is it's also backing up
my rack of entertainment stuff (not that I want to keep it on during an
outage, but I prefer my stuff to shut down gracefully; also, the cable
box takes forever to come back up after an outage of only a few seconds)
and believe it or not but my LCD TV is highly not happy with anything
other than a true sine wave output as I discovered one day when the
power went out while I was watching TV.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2013 3:24 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

The only piece of equipment I've ever installed that required a true
sine wave output UPS was an Intertel GMX-48 phone system and that was
more than 20 years ago. I don't think it had a switching power supply
most of which don't care about the quality of power supplied to them. I
imagine electronic gear of the future will operate on the electrical
charge produced when you walk across a carpet. Anyway, I must pick up
another case of 12 volt AGM batteries with 1/4" Faston terminals at the
supply house so I can repair some of the 1kw and larger rack mount UPS
units I have holding down the carpet. We just picked up a 55" LCD TV
from an individual desperate for cash and I'll see if a UPS will work on
it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Very true! Most anything with a switching power supply you can feed a
ringing square wave and it'll just keep on working. I was honestly
quite surprised when the TV started making a loud buzzing when the power
went off and my old APC UPS kicked in. But a used true sine wave UPS
was cheaper than a different TV, and I needed another UPS anyway so I
could put one on the FiOS box - apparently the internal battery only
backs up the POTS line not the cable TV or internet. I don't care so
much about CATV but having the interwebs drop out is annoying

imagine electronic gear of the future will operate on the electrical
charge produced when you walk across a carpet. Anyway, I must pick up
another case of 12 volt AGM batteries with 1/4" Faston terminals at the
supply house so I can repair some of the 1kw and larger rack mount UPS
units I have holding down the carpet. We just picked up a 55" LCD TV
from an individual desperate for cash and I'll see if a UPS will work on
it. ^_^

Mine's a Samsung, couple years old, just for reference.

Are you getting a quantity deal on the batteries? I know they're a high
markup item.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2013 4:49 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

A few years ago there was a Crown Battery industrial supply house that
had them for $7.00ea in case quantities but the company shifted its
focus at that location and no longer carries the AGM/gel cells so I pick
them up at one of the electronic supply houses for $16.00ea or
less in case quantities. Batteries Plus stores have them for $25.00ea
or more. BP is very expensive but they usually have or can get any
battery. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like it would be easier to open the case, and wire directly.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/12/2013 12:37 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

That's the connector that I'm trying to identify, the one used for the
external battery pack for that UPS. I was hoping to be able to purchase
the connector and then connect it to a lighter socket or terminal strip
so that I could use natively 12VDC devices in the house without using
wall warts.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/12/2013 01:29 PM, LdB wrote:
On 9/12/2013 12:01 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Look at the back of it, there's a red and black plastic connector on
the back panel, intended for attaching an expansion battery pack

This looks like the same connector...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-OMN.../dp/B0002935BA

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...allouts-LG.jpg

nate

Anderson Connector

http://www.andersonpower.com/product...onnectors.html

LdB

Thank you! I knew someone would know if I could just find a good enough picture.

nate

You can also see it here...

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products...xtModelID=3827

Greg

Name that connector Theo Markettos UK diy 7 May 22nd 15 02:44 PM
Pan connector Tom Pickles[_2_] UK diy 7 January 11th 11 10:51 AM
Connector for MC? Ted[_9_] Home Repair 4 June 11th 08 04:34 AM
BSP Connector Help [email protected] UK diy 3 June 16th 05 12:16 PM
WC pan connector help please Broadback UK diy 3 December 17th 04 07:50 PM