Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.components

Default Name that connector

I have a Yamaha X07G battery charger with an obscure connector that I'm
trying to source more of. It has 4 pins (2 battery, 2 thermistor) in a plug
about an inch across.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~t...s/DSC_0002.JPG
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~t...s/DSC_0003.JPG

There's a symbol on the plug which looks like a T with an extra
horizontal bar sticking to the left halfway up:

-------

--|

I'm completely at a loss to work out who the manufacturer might be or what
this type of plug is called. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.components

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:

I have a Yamaha X07G battery charger with an obscure connector that I'm
trying to source more of. It has 4 pins (2 battery, 2 thermistor) in a plug
about an inch across.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~t...s/DSC_0002.JPG
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~t...s/DSC_0003.JPG

There's a symbol on the plug which looks like a T with an extra
horizontal bar sticking to the left halfway up:

-------

--|

I'm completely at a loss to work out who the manufacturer might be or
what this type of plug is called. Anyone have any ideas?

Sadly, many makers take a delight in using a non standard connector you
can't buy except from them. As an over priced spare lead or whatever.
Often as easy to buy a complete new whatsit.

Had that with a BMW fitted wiper motor I wanted to use for something else.
It was made by Valeo, but the connector a special made by another company,
and although a similar design to others used on the car which are
standard, was a special and only available as part of an expensive loom.

Yeah, but their some reasoning behind that..

1. You have to buy from them, any replacement cords. That locks you
in .

2. When they decide not to support it any more, You need to buy a
whole new item, because no one makes a replacement cord like that.

They only hope that you got enough enjoyment out of it so that you
will once again, buy a whole new item from them.

Some of these people are pretty cocky when they think they have the
competition over a barrel with a product.

Jamie

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.components

In uk.d-i-y The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Same experience with the Freelander. In the end I realised that the
connector was only there to facilitate assembly, so cut it off and
soldered the wires in place.

I forgot to mention the pitch is roughly 3.6mm... but you might be right.
Since I have control over both ends, I have the option of replacing the lot.
Looks like some high-end D connectors would fit in the space (31mmx17mm) and
carry the current (eg ITW McMurdo DE9P - 500 mate cycles, 6.5A per pin, gold
plated). Leaves some extra pins to play with too...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos writes:

There's a symbol on the plug which looks like a T with an extra
horizontal bar sticking to the left halfway up:

-------

--|

This is almost certainly no help at all, but if you rotate that
through 180°, its the Chinese/Japanese character for upon.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
This is almost certainly no help at all, but if you rotate that
through 180°, its the Chinese/Japanese character for upon.

Hmm... can you give me a Unicode code point? That might be something useful
to Google for. Google Translate in Japanese or Chinese (Simple/Traditional)
don't give me anything that looks similar.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos writes:

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
This is almost certainly no help at all, but if you rotate that
through 180°, its the Chinese/Japanese character for upon.

Hmm... can you give me a Unicode code point?

上 (might not make it through nntp...) is

hex 4E0A

That might be something useful to Google for.

Seems unlikely: that character is going to be all over the
place!

Google Translate in Japanese or Chinese (Simple/Traditional)
don't give me anything that looks similar.

Try on rather than upon

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
上 (might not make it through nntp...) is

hex 4E0A

That might be something useful to Google for.

Seems unlikely: that character is going to be all over the
place!

You're right, it's everywhere. Still, was worth a try...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Theo Markettos , Umbertho C wrote:
theom+news wrote:

I have a Yamaha X07G battery charger with an obscure connector that I'm
trying to source more of. It has 4 pins (2 battery, 2 thermistor) in a

plug
about an inch across.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~t...s/DSC_0002.JPG
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~t...s/DSC_0003.JPG
There's a symbol on the plug which looks like a T with an extra
horizontal bar sticking to the left halfway up:
-------

--|

I'm completely at a loss to work out who the manufacturer might be or what
this type of plug is called. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Theo

Theo,

Rather late and not exactly an answer to the question, but might still be
helpful (for others):
Found out that the cable between charger and battery was internally broken
so the battery could not be charged anymore.
Problem was IN the connector so I had to open it.
You have to strip back the insulating plastic cover that goes over the
actual connector piece . Eventually make an incision to make room.
The connector, 2 parts, is glued together over the edges. You can take it
apart with a sharp knife.
Internally it has some latches on the front (contacts side) and back end
(cable inlet) I used some brute force which the connector withstand.
Looks like there are also some guidance pins or latches in the middle
edges, but these became broken apparently.

After disconnecting and shortening the cable by removing the section with
the broken strain(s) and re-soldering it, I tested the charger.
[I also took that one apart because the cable was broken on that side
too... harsh user who probably pulled out the connector by the cable and
rolled up the cable to tight to the charger body. Can't explain why the
cable was broken this way on both ends... ]
Fortunately the charger showed no problem. After testing, I put the
connector together again. Eventually by adding some glue on the same edges
as where I broke it open.

Problem solved.

You have a real problem when the connector is damaged/broken. There is no
other way it seems then trying to fetch an old charger or atleats the
charger-battery cable part incl. the connector. Searched around without
any success.
A complete new/refurbed charger would cost you ~ 80 - 100 it looks
like. Pretty much for an VERY old type of charger for legacy NiCd
batteries...

Hope this helps! U.C.

Pan connector Tom Pickles[_2_] UK diy 7 January 11th 11 10:51 AM
name that connector Karl Townsend Metalworking 4 October 18th 10 08:49 PM
What's the name of this connector JoeJoe UK diy 19 May 29th 10 10:33 PM
WC connector Robert UK diy 4 March 8th 05 08:37 AM
WC pan connector help please Broadback UK diy 3 December 17th 04 07:50 PM