Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connector ID please

On 9/12/2013 4:49 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 9/12/2013 3:24 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 9/12/2013 2:02 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 9/12/2013 9:12 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know
this
but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right
search
keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable
batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to
take
12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the
UPS
when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate

Perhaps this link will help you out? I have a number of large UPS
units
and I needed the info anyway. ^_^

http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cables/

TDD

I think it's been confirmed that they're Anderson Powerpole, this
would
have solved the problem nicely

http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cab...powerpole.html

if I had a smaller unit, but as another poster pointed out, the
decently
sized ones are actually 24VDC not 12VDC. D'oh.

nate

I rebuild UPS units and take bad batteries to the recycler all the
time.
I'll never understand why people throw the units out when
all they need are new batteries. I suppose it's good for me but the
dummies still toss perfectly good equipment. I just put two new AGM
batteries in a 750va UPS that would cost $400.00 new, $32.00 for new
batteries. O_o

TDD

Well, the $100 ones it probably isn't worth it, because a newer one
will have better features (able to e.g. shut off your printer, scanner,
etc. for you when you power down your PC) but I agree in principle. This
unit I'm using would retail for over $400, I picked it up for $100 used
figuring that it would need batteries, guess what, I got luck, batteries
are still good (for now, anyway.)

I wouldn't mind replacing some of my other ones with better quality
ones, but I can't justify the cost now, and they're only backing up
computer equipment anyway, which contrary to popular belief is not
really that picky about the power that you feed through it. The reason
for searching out a good, double-conversion UPS is it's also backing up
my rack of entertainment stuff (not that I want to keep it on during an
outage, but I prefer my stuff to shut down gracefully; also, the cable
box takes forever to come back up after an outage of only a few seconds)
and believe it or not but my LCD TV is highly not happy with anything
other than a true sine wave output as I discovered one day when the
power went out while I was watching TV.

nate

The only piece of equipment I've ever installed that required a true
sine wave output UPS was an Intertel GMX-48 phone system and that was
more than 20 years ago. I don't think it had a switching power supply
most of which don't care about the quality of power supplied to them.

Very true! Most anything with a switching power supply you can feed a
ringing square wave and it'll just keep on working. I was honestly
quite surprised when the TV started making a loud buzzing when the power
went off and my old APC UPS kicked in. But a used true sine wave UPS
was cheaper than a different TV, and I needed another UPS anyway so I
could put one on the FiOS box - apparently the internal battery only
backs up the POTS line not the cable TV or internet. I don't care so
much about CATV but having the interwebs drop out is annoying

imagine electronic gear of the future will operate on the electrical
charge produced when you walk across a carpet. Anyway, I must pick up
another case of 12 volt AGM batteries with 1/4" Faston terminals at the
supply house so I can repair some of the 1kw and larger rack mount UPS
units I have holding down the carpet. We just picked up a 55" LCD TV
from an individual desperate for cash and I'll see if a UPS will work on
it. ^_^

Mine's a Samsung, couple years old, just for reference.

Are you getting a quantity deal on the batteries? I know they're a high
markup item.

nate

A few years ago there was a Crown Battery industrial supply house that
had them for $7.00ea in case quantities but the company shifted its
focus at that location and no longer carries the AGM/gel cells so I pick
them up at one of the electronic supply houses for $16.00ea or
less in case quantities. Batteries Plus stores have them for $25.00ea
or more. BP is very expensive but they usually have or can get any
battery. ^_^

TDD