Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Another WTF Moment

Me and JH went on a service call today at a women's clothing store to
repair a point of sale cash register. After I finisher swapping out the
whole chassis and hard drive in the NCR register, I was in the back of
the store waiting on JH to call dispatch and close out the service
ticket when I saw on the wall something that caused the "WTF". It was a
shrinkage report for the store, a report about the cost of lost or
stolen merchandise. For the year 2012 it was $38,675.00 and 3.08% of
store revenues. I suppose that was considered a good year, WTF! O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:31:07 PM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Me and JH went on a service call today at a women's clothing store to

repair a point of sale cash register. After I finisher swapping out the

whole chassis and hard drive in the NCR register, I was in the back of

the store waiting on JH to call dispatch and close out the service

ticket when I saw on the wall something that caused the "WTF". It was a

shrinkage report for the store, a report about the cost of lost or

stolen merchandise. For the year 2012 it was $38,675.00 and 3.08% of

store revenues. I suppose that was considered a good year, WTF! O_o

TDD

That’s a good example of the disadvantages of a big company.
The bigger they are the harder it is to control who is stealing what.
The next time someone complains about those big box stores
putting the small stores out of business remind them of this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The once or twice I've been in womens clothing stores for repairs, they
have made effort to count the number of items that go in to the fitting
rooms. Still, they appear to lose a lot of items due to theft. That's a
real shame, that peoples morality is going down hill like that.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Me and JH went on a service call today at a women's clothing store to
repair a point of sale cash register. After I finisher swapping out the
whole chassis and hard drive in the NCR register, I was in the back of
the store waiting on JH to call dispatch and close out the service
ticket when I saw on the wall something that caused the "WTF". It was a
shrinkage report for the store, a report about the cost of lost or
stolen merchandise. For the year 2012 it was $38,675.00 and 3.08% of
store revenues. I suppose that was considered a good year, WTF! O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The once or twice I've been in womens clothing stores for repairs, they
have made effort to count the number of items that go in to the fitting
rooms. Still, they appear to lose a lot of items due to theft. That's a
real shame, that peoples morality is going down hill like that.

Shoplifting has been going on as long as there have been shops.

In fact it's probably not as prevalent now as it has been in the past because of surveillance and electronic security devices.

The key is not spending more on security than you lose in theft. If you spend $50,000 a year to prevent the loss of $38,000 of product, you may as well let them take the stuff.

You can take the moral indignation high road but sometimes the moral indignation high road leads to bankruptcy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The once or twice I've been in womens clothing stores for repairs, they
have made effort to count the number of items that go in to the fitting
rooms. Still, they appear to lose a lot of items due to theft. That's a
real shame, that peoples morality is going down hill like that.

Shoplifting has been going on as long as there have been shops.

In fact it's probably not as prevalent now as it has been in the past because of surveillance and electronic security devices.

The key is not spending more on security than you lose in theft. If you spend $50,000 a year to prevent the loss of $38,000 of product, you may as well let them take the stuff.

You can take the moral indignation high road but sometimes the moral indignation high road leads to bankruptcy.

Before I retired, the company was employing more and more contract
workers at the lab site I was at. Real PITA. Even though they
increased security, theft losses doubled. Night janitors were a real
problem and even though they had to walk through the gate and open their
lunch boxes, stuff disappeared. I'm told of spotting tracks in the snow
on either side of the fence where stuff was tossed over.
I was waiting for a lock to be put on a lab balance (also contractors)
and forgot to lock it up and it was stolen. Cost me a half day with the
paperwork and investigation. Contract electricians, millwrights and
painters caused me lots of grief but I guess the company thought it was
worth it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've had problems with guys who worked for me even after I told them
"Don't take anything without permission from someone in charge. Don't
even take a dirty snot rag unless someone gives you permission." I had a
guy working for me who knocked out communications for a hamburger chain
by taking a souvenir which was a wall wort power supply for a
modem. I told the guy not to take any of the abandon phone equipment
in a telephone room without permission. My admonition was in front of an
employee of the company I was doing work for. The moron couldn't help
it, he just had to take something and he was a former convict I
was trying to help. I learned my lesson after I lost that account. No
more convicts, no more alcoholics and no more pot heads. I won't even
hire a smoker because they're addicted to a very powerful albeit legal
drug. Besides I'm very allergic to the smoke as are many employees of my
customers. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 2, 2013 4:56:36 PM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...snip....]

I won't even hire a smoker because they're addicted to a very powerful albeit legal drug. Besides I'm very allergic to the smoke as are many employees of my
customers. ^_^

Got a call the other day out of the blue from a friend I had worked with in the non-smokers' rights movement -- must be at least 2 decades ago. What we had to go through, between the all-powerful tobacco lobby and the freaking politicians who were too scared or too venal to vote in the public interest!!!

People today who can breathe freely in restaurants, movies, stores, etc. don't realize what it was like back then -- threats, insults, sometimes physical violence.

There are STILL problems we hear about all the time from apartment dwellers who are suffering like hell from smoke drifting into their space from another unit or from a balcony. The smokers are indignant that they can't do what they like in their own space. The victims -- perhaps with a medical condition that could be life-threatening if they inhale smoke -- are equally indignant that they have to live with windows closed in all weather, can't go out on their porches/balconies, and even so, smoke finds its way into their space.

Some newer construction is dedicated smoke-free, but that doesn't help people stuck in an unbearable situation in older housing.

How would Solomon render judgment?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...snip....]

I won't even hire a smoker because they're addicted to a very
powerful albeit legal drug. Besides I'm very allergic to the
smoke as are many employees of my customers. ^_^

Got a call the other day out of the blue from a friend I had
worked with in the non-smokers' rights movement -- must be at least
2 decades ago. What we had to go through, between the
all-powerful tobacco lobby and the freaking politicians who were
too scared or too venal to vote in the public interest!!!

People today who can breathe freely in restaurants, movies,
stores, etc. don't realize what it was like back then -- threats,
insults, sometimes physical violence.

I quit jobs twice because of smokers, and should have the first time
they were ruining my health. Yes, I really like the improvements we
now have.

I love seeing how obnoxious reformed smokers can be when smokers
bother them now. After they did the same to others for years.

I smoked for 9 months, then I went cold turkey at the age of one day.
That's why I'm horribly allergic to tobacco smoke. The crap is like
pepper spray to me and after exposure to it in any smokey place, I can
be sick for several days depending on my exposure to the poison. ^_^

I never have understood why someone sets something on fire then inhales
the byproducts of combustion. Which caveman discovered smoking pot, I
wonder if Ug and Nog started a fire to cook a Brontosaurus leg then used
some dried weeds they found to get the fire going? The smoke from the
fire must have gotten them going, probably causing the first time a man
tried to contemplate the vastness of the Universe. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

I used to work with a HVAC maintenance guy who wore one of those blue denim
shop jackets with big pockets, every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. His
reason:

On the days he wanted to take small items from the "open parts bins" (nuts,
bolts, etc.) it wouldn't look weird if he suddenly wore a jacket. If he
wore the jacket everyday, no one would suspect him of stealing like they
would if he showed up wearing it on a random 90 degree day.

Think about that. He wasn't planning on stealing stuff everyday, but he was
dressing so that he could do so whenever he wanted to without raising
suspicion. What a strange way to go through life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08-02-2013 19:08, Frank wrote:
Before I retired, the company was employing more and more contract
workers at the lab site I was at. Real PITA. Even though they
increased security, theft losses doubled. Night janitors were a real
problem and even though they had to walk through the gate and open their
lunch boxes, stuff disappeared. I'm told of spotting tracks in the snow
on either side of the fence where stuff was tossed over.
I was waiting for a lock to be put on a lab balance (also contractors)
and forgot to lock it up and it was stolen. Cost me a half day with the
paperwork and investigation. Contract electricians, millwrights and
painters caused me lots of grief but I guess the company thought it was
worth it.

At one place I worked, a rather small lady took a large empty box.
I suppose she needed it for moving. I was leaving the plant right
behind her. She tossed the box over the ten-foot fence, and CLICK, the
turnstile locked and the speaker spewed, "What's in that box?"

I'm thinking, "If there were anything of any size in that box. she
couldn't have thrown it like that, and if it were of any value, it isn't
after falling ten feet onto the parking lot."

But before I could say that, the guard said something like, "Hold it
where we can look inside."

Now I'm thinking, "Odd to ask her to do anything with the box after
you locked the gate between her and it."

--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
€” Samuel Butler, 1612-1680

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

[...]

I've never smoked, and I HATE the smell. Nevertheless, I believe
government meddles far too much and usually in the wrong places.

Here, we mandated that all restaurants have the smoking section walled
off with separate ventilation. I figure the owner should have the right
to do what he wants with his property and I have the right to choose
whether to enter.

A lot of restaurants chose to close rather than remodel. And after the
rest had spent all that money in compliance, the same council outlawed
smoking completely in restaurants.

I have far less "freedom of choice" on whether or not to enter a
hospital. But the council didn't see any reason to address smoking there.

--
Wes Groleau

Curmudgeon's Complaints on Courtesy:
http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 10:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

There is an old story most likely apocryphal about a factory worker who
rolled a wheelbarrow filled with sand out the gate every day he worked
at the factory. The guard always stopped him and dug through the sand
slinging the sand every where but never found anything hidden in the
sand. On the factory workers last day on the job, he exited the gate
without his customary wheelbarrow. Upon seeing this, the guard stopped
him and said, "I know you were stealing something all these years, so
tell me before I go nuts." The factory worker answered, "wheelbarrows".
^_^
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

There are lots of very light, yet valuable items. In addition, value is in
the eye of the beholder. A small, relatively unbreakable item, cushioned
with lots of bubble wrap, could easily survive a ten-ten foot fall.

But before I could say that, the guard said something like, "Hold it
where we can look inside."

Now I'm thinking, "Odd to ask her to do anything with the box after
you locked the gate between her and it."

Now I'm thinking, "Odd that someone could throw a large empty box over a
ten-foot fence." I would have liked to have seen her technique.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hope that was one totally big Bronto, those stark raving munchies are
quite extreme, some times. Did Wilma bring a couple Glockingspeal frozen
TV dinners home for Fred that night?

I had the privilege to work on a walk in freezer last night, at a
restaurant. Sadly, the condensing unit is in the smoking area for the
staff. Yikk. I got out alive, but wasn't happy about it.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I smoked for 9 months, then I went cold turkey at the age of one day.
That's why I'm horribly allergic to tobacco smoke. The crap is like
pepper spray to me and after exposure to it in any smokey place, I can
be sick for several days depending on my exposure to the poison. ^_^

I never have understood why someone sets something on fire then inhales
the byproducts of combustion. Which caveman discovered smoking pot, I
wonder if Ug and Nog started a fire to cook a Brontosaurus leg then used
some dried weeds they found to get the fire going? The smoke from the
fire must have gotten them going, probably causing the first time a man
tried to contemplate the vastness of the Universe. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thread reminds me of random checks we would go through being stopped at
the gate and guard having us pop our car trunk so he could inspect it.

On guy put a Playboy fold out in his trunk so when it popped it would
unfold in front of the guard. He got one too but guard acted like
nothing happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

It might have been folded up, like when you buy them.
And we don't know how big is 'big'.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

If it was folded up, why would Wes have wondered what could have been in
it? Why would the guards have asked her to open it so they could look
inside? Why would she have had to throw it over the fence?

Even folded up, I would like to see the technique used. Frisbee style
perhaps? 10' feet is fairly high when trying to throw an object that will
catch wind, unless of course the wind was in her favor. Maybe it was windy
enough that she just threw it straight up and the wind carried it over. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

the byproducts of combustion. Which caveman discovered smoking pot, I
wonder if Ug and Nog started a fire to cook a Brontosaurus leg then used
some dried weeds they found to get the fire going? The smoke from the
fire must have gotten them going, probably causing the first time a man
tried to contemplate the vastness of the Universe. o_O

Of course if you are going to get the munchies, having a brontosaurus
leg nearby probably is a good thing.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 07:39:12 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Thread reminds me of random checks we would go through being stopped at
the gate and guard having us pop our car trunk so he could inspect it.

Random probably let's a lot get through. I worked at IH for years and
every day carried out my coveralls for washing. Dirty job.
My wife would wash them all in the wringer machine once a week.
So I ended up with 5 sets when I quit.
Those were damn good coveralls, and cost about 50 bucks today.
I used them for many years after.
Didn't think about that then, and they didn't either.
Pretty much how I'd come home from office work with a company pen or
marker in my pocket and they'd pile up until I made it a habit to
leave them at work.

Anyway, I carried the coveralls in, and out in a shopping bag with my
other dirty clothes, as I always showered and put on my clean clothes
from my locker before walking out.
The gate guard would always ask me to hold the bag up and open so he
could see inside. Never hefted it, but it was just a cheap paper
shopping bag, so it couldn't hold anything heavy, and he could see it
wasn't lined with canvas.
I noticed the guards would randomly open the metal lunchboxes some
guys carried. I always brown-bagged.
One day somebody says, "You hear about Joe? Guard caught him with a
load of copper in his lunchbox. Fired."

This Joe guy was a pretty highly paid machinist. Had about 20 years
in, and IH had a sweet retirement program.
I remember thinking WTF? How can anybody be so stupid?
I don't understand the thief mentality on several levels.
Though copper was pretty cheap then, I guess it was easy to sell.
Or maybe Joe's hobby was copper working. Don't know.
Thing is, the risk/reward was all out of whack.

OTOH, I'm not saying I'm perfect either. Did some of my own thieving
when I was a machine mechanic. Took about 10 each of maybe 3 small
sizes of nuts/bolts. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8. A few different lengths, along
with flat and lock washers for them. Put them in my parts arsenal and
they came in handy over the years. Wasn't the money, as that wasn't a
hill of beans. Just the convenience. Still stealing when you get
down to it.

The biggest difference is there was absolutely no risk for me.
It's pretty common for people to steal from the workplace if the
workplace accepts it, or just doesn't police it.
I also copped a staple remover, hole punch, and some manilla folders
from my office jobs. Again, no risk.
Some might call it a job "benefit."
But I'll just admit to thievery in my past. Doesn't bother me much,
but a spade is a spade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've told guys working for me to just ask. That way I'll know what I
need to replace. If it's not an expensive item and the guy asks for
some hardware, no problem as long as it's not a 50lb box. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

At the Hoover washing machine manufacturing plant. (Merthyr Tydfil)
Washing machines were disappearing but how?

Went on for years.
It finally trnspired that the guys who loaded the trucks figuered out how to
pack in two extra machines in every truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

Darn evil Honkey Crackers, always scamming. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 12:53:52 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

One day somebody says, "You hear about Joe? Guard caught him with a
load of copper in his lunchbox. Fired."

This Joe guy was a pretty highly paid machinist. Had about 20 years
in, and IH had a sweet retirement program.
I remember thinking WTF?

Companies like it when stories like that get around. Discourages
others from taking the risk.

OTOH, I'm not saying I'm perfect either. Did some of my own thieving
when I was a machine mechanic. Took about 10 each of maybe 3 small
sizes of nuts/bolts. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8. A few different lengths, along
with flat and lock washers for them. Put them in my parts arsenal and
they came in handy over the years. Wasn't the money, as that wasn't a
hill of beans. Just the convenience. Still stealing when you get
down to it.

Many of us have done things like that. I have some brass, SS, and
aluminum nuts and bolts too. Damned handy.

Where I worked we had many fasteners as well as copper fittings. Some
of the fittings were in bins and the little used ones became dull as
they sat for a long time. We'd take two fitting, clean them up and
lay them in the bin of oxidized parts. Next day the tow shiny ones
were gone but the 200 old ones were untouched.

The biggest difference is there was absolutely no risk for me.
It's pretty common for people to steal from the workplace if the
workplace accepts it, or just doesn't police it.
I also copped a staple remover, hole punch, and some manilla folders
from my office jobs. Again, no risk.
Some might call it a job "benefit."
But I'll just admit to thievery in my past. Doesn't bother me much,
but a spade is a spade.

Maybe I'm getting even now. This past year I took a Dremel tool and
shop vac to work for shop use. They were in the way at home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This Joe guy was a pretty highly paid machinist. Had about 20 years
in, and IH had a sweet retirement program.
I remember thinking WTF? How can anybody be so stupid?
I don't understand the thief mentality on several levels.
Though copper was pretty cheap then, I guess it was easy to sell.
Or maybe Joe's hobby was copper working. Don't know.
Thing is, the risk/reward was all out of whack.

Wish that I had carried out lots of stuff from where I retired from. The
company had a good retirement when I started. Then after about 25 years
they changed the retirement program and in effect stole about $ 15,000 per
year from me and others.
I also could have retired about 7 years sooner with the same or more money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:

I've never smoked, and I HATE the smell. Nevertheless, I believe
government meddles far too much and usually in the wrong places.

Unless it is necessary do to inconiderate smokers.

Here, we mandated that all restaurants have the smoking section walled
off with separate ventilation. I figure the owner should have the
right to do what he wants with his property and I have the right to
choose whether to enter.

Here, it was done under worker safety rules.

A lot of restaurants chose to close rather than remodel. And after
the rest had spent all that money in compliance, the same council
outlawed smoking completely in restaurants.

Which they should obviously have done in the first place.

I have far less "freedom of choice" on whether or not to enter a
hospital. But the council didn't see any reason to address smoking
there.

No hospitals allow smoking here. Amazing they ever could have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On F

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

[...]

****Where is "here"? Which state or locality?

Different states approached this problem with varying ardor.

For a while, restaurants tried "smoking sections", but very few spent the money to provide separate ventilation. Mostly it was a band-aid that did absolutely nothing to keep smoke away from non-smokers' the smoke didn't know it was not supposed to attack them.

Your "freedom of choice" argument that owner of restaurant can do whatever he/she wants is a fallacious one. Restaurants serve a public good. They are regulated as to the food they serve, as to toilet facilities, as to fire alarms/exits even as to parking in some localities.

There have been many tragic cases of people burned to death because of inadequate or inoperative fire systems OR EVEN LOCKED EXITS!

Same with bad food served to YOU and YOUR family, who got sick and maybe died.

It took DECADES to overcome the enormous amounts of money poured into this situation by the tobacco lobby. *You should educate yourself on how vicious and dishonest was the propaganda they put out*. And how openly they paid off national and local legi$lator$ to fight non-smokers' rights movements.

Please rethink your inaccurate comparison to restaurant access with hospital access. (You do, in fact, have the right to refuse to enter a hospital -- if you are conscious and weird enough to want to make that choice.)

But if you cannot enter a restaurant without suffering from tobacco smoke, where is your choice?

HB

[...]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

[...]

W***ell I do NOT "love" to see reformed drug users pick on the still-addicted.

Bad manners are bad manners, no matter who uses them.

The people you're talking about are a ****tiny minority ****who are showing their relief from attack in an unmannerly way, and who -- BTW -- accomplish nothing but antagonizing the still-addicted. Gentlefolk do not crow over their victories, even the hard-fought ones.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd guess that much of what they'd ask, you planned to get a new one
already, and it's all good.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I've told guys working for me to just ask. That way I'll know what I
need to replace. If it's not an expensive item and the guy asks for
some hardware, no problem as long as it's not a 50lb box. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The gov't stole about 20 gallons of gasoline from me, over the years. I
put back a $20 bill in the 1980s. Back then, it would buy 25 gallons of
gasoline. Now it will buy 5 gallons. Someone stole those 20 gallons from
me, and that was the good stuff before they started with this ethanol
diluant.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/3/2013 3:07 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Wish that I had carried out lots of stuff from where I retired from. The
company had a good retirement when I started. Then after about 25 years
they changed the retirement program and in effect stole about $ 15,000 per
year from me and others.
I also could have retired about 7 years sooner with the same or more money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

[...]

I feel sorry for the drug addicts referred to as smokers and I support
their right to destroy their OWN body but I still tell them to get the
hell away from me since I'm very allergic to the byproducts of
combustion produced by burning tobacco. When I'm driving down a highway,
I can tell if the idiot in the car in front of me is smoking because I
can smell it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

If it was folded up, why would Wes have wondered what could have been in
it? Why would the guards have asked her to open it so they could look
inside? Why would she have had to throw it over the fence?

You would have made more than a passable reporter, asking nagging questions
like that!

Maybe it was a box kite? Maybe she was a former discus thrower who "spun
up" the box to "escape" velocity? Maybe NBC reporters had previously
strapped a rocket motor to the box? The possibilities are endless.

Even folded up, I would like to see the technique used. Frisbee style
perhaps? 10' feet is fairly high when trying to throw an object that will
catch wind, unless of course the wind was in her favor. Maybe it was windy
enough that she just threw it straight up and the wind carried it over.

;-)

That's it. The winds were in her favor. For some odd reason I am reminded
of Nixon's secretary Rose Mary Woods showing press photographers how she
could have "accidentally" erased critical footage from the Nixon Tapes by
stretching her arms and legs out to a near impossible "split" and trying to
convince people she held them that way for 18 minutes. Gotta admire her
loyalty even if her veracity was questionable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rose_Mary_Woods.jpg

And the cow jumped over the moon . . . (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One day somebody says, "You hear about Joe? Guard caught him with a
load of copper in his lunchbox. Fired."

This Joe guy was a pretty highly paid machinist. Had about 20 years
in, and IH had a sweet retirement program.
I remember thinking WTF?

Companies like it when stories like that get around. Discourages
others from taking the risk.

Most the time that's true, but not always. I used to chat with a girl
at my first IT job. She was an accountant.
Then I noticed she was missing. Asked a senior manager I was friendly
with where she went. He hesitated, but he trusted me.
Told me she had embezzled $30k. Lot of money then. 1980.
Also said to keep it to myself, which I have until now.
Said they didn't recover the money, and didn't prosecute her either.
Bad for company image.
So ole Joe loses his job and retirement for stealing a couple pounds
of copper, and maybe gets a misdemeanor theft conviction so he can't
contest anything. I don't recall if he got charged though.
This gal walks away with $30k.
But hey, nobody ever said life is "fair."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

And the dog ate the tapes.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Embezzlers rarely get prosecuted, unless the amount is outrageous and
cannot be kept secret by their employers.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

stuff snipped

OTOH, I'm not saying I'm perfect either. Did some of my own thieving
when I was a machine mechanic. Took about 10 each of maybe 3 small
sizes of nuts/bolts. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8. A few different lengths, along
with flat and lock washers for them.

I *knew* we would get a confession out of you eventually. (-:

Signed,
Inspector Javert

But seriously. When certain Federal agencies (which PRISM requires me not
to mention) instituted polygraphs for new hires, they scrupulously
eliminated anyone who admitted to trying *any* kind of illegal drug or who
had admitted to stealing anything from the workplace. When the recruit pool
dwindled down to far too few candidates to choose from, they then instituted
a policy of evaluating the nature of the trangressions.

I think the questions are now phrased "did you ever take anything worth more
than $20 from an employer?" and whether illicit drug use occurred within the
last 3 years. That should give you some idea of the prevalance of employee
theft.

Speaking of polygraphs, there's a huge debate occurring at sensitive
agencies asking how Snowden clearly slipped through the vetting process with
a major loose screw going undetected. I believe, like GZ, Snowden was a
washout, only he washed out of Special Forces. Rejection has driven more
than a few people right off rails.

People steal more today because they feel more entitled for a number of
reasons. The changing dynamic from "employer for life" to "contract
employer" had had an effect. When a company reneges on its committments to
employees, theft skyrockets because it becomes morally justified by
employees. "The company screwed me so I will screw them."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

So why are frequently blowing smoke outta your ass?

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2013 11:24 AM, Red Green wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

People sneaking hot pepper into my food, I can't take hot pepper or
anything like that either. Come to think of it, the gas I pass is prone
to spontaneous combustion. It reminds me of The National Lampoon's issue
from 1973 on T.F., Terminal Flatulence. I wish I could find it, the
closest I got were these sites:

http://www.marksverylarge.com/archives/2004_01.html

http://www.marksverylarge.com/archives/2010_08.html

https://www.abebooks.com/Best-Nation.../1929107233/bd

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=105x598635

I could swear it was a 1973 or 1974 issue. o_O

I did find a great site with a story on "The Chicago Flatulence
Exchange" ^_^

http://thepeoplescube.com/al-gore/ch...nge-t5230.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blamed on Mrs. O'Leary's cow?

Burning of Chicago, that's a WTF moment. Now, it's Detroit going down
with flames. That's a WTSL moment.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

People sneaking hot pepper into my food, I can't take hot pepper or
anything like that either. Come to think of it, the gas I pass is prone
to spontaneous combustion. It reminds me of The National Lampoon's issue
from 1973 on T.F., Terminal Flatulence. I wish I could find it, the
closest I got were these sites:

http://www.marksverylarge.com/archives/2004_01.html

http://www.marksverylarge.com/archives/2010_08.html

https://www.abebooks.com/Best-Nation.../1929107233/bd

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=105x598635

I could swear it was a 1973 or 1974 issue. o_O

I did find a great site with a story on "The Chicago Flatulence
Exchange" ^_^

http://thepeoplescube.com/al-gore/ch...nge-t5230.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08-03-2013 18:16, Higgs Boson wrote:
Please rethink your inaccurate comparison to restaurant access with hospital access. (You do, in fact, have the right to refuse to enter a hospital -- if you are conscious and weird enough to want to make that choice.)

It is very easy to choose another restaurant. There were a lot of them
that didn't get my business because of their poor choices regarding
smoking. And I could choose to visit _none_ of them without endangering
my health in the least.

It is considerably more difficult to refuse medical treatment if one
needs it.

The inaccuracy is in pretending the two choices are equal.

If they had chosen to ban smoking in health care facilities instead of
restaurants, I doubt any hospitals would have chosen to shut down and
put ___ people out of work.

If they had chosen to ban smoking instead of mandating expensive
remodeling, there would also have been less adverse effect on our
economy. But I still would have opposed it.

You were correct about the poorly designed smoking sections. A
non-smoking section is stupid when one has to walk through the smoking
section to get to it. I never went to such a place the second time.
Sometimes I told them why. Sometimes I didn't.

Someone said the law was to protect the health of the wait staff.
Nonsense. The law said nothing about withholding service from the
smokers in the special room.

Do you think I should lobby to forbid grocery stores from having the
aisles of detergents than bun my nostrils when I get near them?

How about the lack of a law banning perfume from department stores? Is
that unjust to my friend who has to stay out to avoid a medical emergency?

By the way, both of our hospitals decided to ban smoking without
government interference. The one nearest me even claims to not allow
tobacco products of any sort anywhere on their property. But they don't
make any effort to enforce it outside the building and away from the
entrance. (We actually have five hospitals, but only two companies run
them.)

--
Wes Groleau

Pat's Polemics
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett

Would you stop for a moment?! aassime abdellatif Woodworking 7 September 2nd 08 02:13 PM
Meldrew Moment The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 January 29th 07 01:47 PM
A MOMENT OF SILENCE, PLEASE.... MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 9 November 1st 06 11:29 AM
Duh moment Mike Richardson Woodworking 2 November 23rd 05 12:51 AM
B&Q v cheap sds at the moment David UK diy 17 June 24th 04 04:05 AM