Posted to alt.home.repair
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default OT, Another WTF Moment

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The once or twice I've been in womens clothing stores for repairs, they
have made effort to count the number of items that go in to the fitting
rooms. Still, they appear to lose a lot of items due to theft. That's a
real shame, that peoples morality is going down hill like that.

Shoplifting has been going on as long as there have been shops.

In fact it's probably not as prevalent now as it has been in the past
because of surveillance and electronic security devices.

The key is not spending more on security than you lose in theft. If
you spend $50,000 a year to prevent the loss of $38,000 of product,
you may as well let them take the stuff.

You can take the moral indignation high road but sometimes the moral
indignation high road leads to bankruptcy.

Before I retired, the company was employing more and more contract
workers at the lab site I was at. Real PITA. Even though they
increased security, theft losses doubled. Night janitors were a real
problem and even though they had to walk through the gate and open their
lunch boxes, stuff disappeared. I'm told of spotting tracks in the snow
on either side of the fence where stuff was tossed over.
I was waiting for a lock to be put on a lab balance (also contractors)
and forgot to lock it up and it was stolen. Cost me a half day with the
paperwork and investigation. Contract electricians, millwrights and
painters caused me lots of grief but I guess the company thought it was
worth it.

I've had problems with guys who worked for me even after I told them
"Don't take anything without permission from someone in charge. Don't even
take a dirty snot rag unless someone gives you permission." I had a guy
working for me who knocked out communications for a hamburger chain by
taking a souvenir which was a wall wort power supply for a
modem. I told the guy not to take any of the abandon phone equipment
in a telephone room without permission. My admonition was in front of an
employee of the company I was doing work for. The moron couldn't help it,
he just had to take something and he was a former convict I
was trying to help. I learned my lesson after I lost that account. No
more convicts, no more alcoholics and no more pot heads. I won't even hire
a smoker because they're addicted to a very powerful albeit legal
drug. Besides I'm very allergic to the smoke as are many employees of my
customers. ^_^

TDD

At the Hoover washing machine manufacturing plant. (Merthyr Tydfil)
Washing machines were disappearing but how?

Went on for years.
It finally trnspired that the guys who loaded the trucks figuered out how to
pack in two extra machines in every truck.