Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default OT, Another WTF Moment

Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 14:29:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 12:53:52 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

One day somebody says, "You hear about Joe? Guard caught him with a
load of copper in his lunchbox. Fired."

This Joe guy was a pretty highly paid machinist. Had about 20 years
in, and IH had a sweet retirement program.
I remember thinking WTF?

Companies like it when stories like that get around. Discourages
others from taking the risk.

Most the time that's true, but not always. I used to chat with a girl
at my first IT job. She was an accountant.
Then I noticed she was missing. Asked a senior manager I was friendly
with where she went. He hesitated, but he trusted me.
Told me she had embezzled $30k. Lot of money then. 1980.
Also said to keep it to myself, which I have until now.
Said they didn't recover the money, and didn't prosecute her either.
Bad for company image.
So ole Joe loses his job and retirement for stealing a couple pounds
of copper, and maybe gets a misdemeanor theft conviction so he can't
contest anything. I don't recall if he got charged though.
This gal walks away with $30k.
But hey, nobody ever said life is "fair."

Embezzlers rarely get prosecuted, unless the amount is outrageous and
cannot be kept secret by their employers.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY