Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default OT, Another WTF Moment

On Friday, August 2, 2013 4:56:36 PM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I won't even hire a smoker because they're addicted to a very powerful albeit legal drug. Besides I'm very allergic to the smoke as are many employees of my
customers. ^_^

Got a call the other day out of the blue from a friend I had worked with in the non-smokers' rights movement -- must be at least 2 decades ago. What we had to go through, between the all-powerful tobacco lobby and the freaking politicians who were too scared or too venal to vote in the public interest!!!

People today who can breathe freely in restaurants, movies, stores, etc. don't realize what it was like back then -- threats, insults, sometimes physical violence.

There are STILL problems we hear about all the time from apartment dwellers who are suffering like hell from smoke drifting into their space from another unit or from a balcony. The smokers are indignant that they can't do what they like in their own space. The victims -- perhaps with a medical condition that could be life-threatening if they inhale smoke -- are equally indignant that they have to live with windows closed in all weather, can't go out on their porches/balconies, and even so, smoke finds its way into their space.

Some newer construction is dedicated smoke-free, but that doesn't help people stuck in an unbearable situation in older housing.

How would Solomon render judgment?

HB