Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Another WTF Moment

Me and JH went on a service call today at a women's clothing store to
repair a point of sale cash register. After I finisher swapping out the
whole chassis and hard drive in the NCR register, I was in the back of
the store waiting on JH to call dispatch and close out the service
ticket when I saw on the wall something that caused the "WTF". It was a
shrinkage report for the store, a report about the cost of lost or
stolen merchandise. For the year 2012 it was $38,675.00 and 3.08% of
store revenues. I suppose that was considered a good year, WTF! O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:31:07 PM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Me and JH went on a service call today at a women's clothing store to

repair a point of sale cash register. After I finisher swapping out the

whole chassis and hard drive in the NCR register, I was in the back of

the store waiting on JH to call dispatch and close out the service

ticket when I saw on the wall something that caused the "WTF". It was a

shrinkage report for the store, a report about the cost of lost or

stolen merchandise. For the year 2012 it was $38,675.00 and 3.08% of

store revenues. I suppose that was considered a good year, WTF! O_o

TDD

That’s a good example of the disadvantages of a big company.
The bigger they are the harder it is to control who is stealing what.
The next time someone complains about those big box stores
putting the small stores out of business remind them of this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The once or twice I've been in womens clothing stores for repairs, they
have made effort to count the number of items that go in to the fitting
rooms. Still, they appear to lose a lot of items due to theft. That's a
real shame, that peoples morality is going down hill like that.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Me and JH went on a service call today at a women's clothing store to
repair a point of sale cash register. After I finisher swapping out the
whole chassis and hard drive in the NCR register, I was in the back of
the store waiting on JH to call dispatch and close out the service
ticket when I saw on the wall something that caused the "WTF". It was a
shrinkage report for the store, a report about the cost of lost or
stolen merchandise. For the year 2012 it was $38,675.00 and 3.08% of
store revenues. I suppose that was considered a good year, WTF! O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The once or twice I've been in womens clothing stores for repairs, they
have made effort to count the number of items that go in to the fitting
rooms. Still, they appear to lose a lot of items due to theft. That's a
real shame, that peoples morality is going down hill like that.

Shoplifting has been going on as long as there have been shops.

In fact it's probably not as prevalent now as it has been in the past because of surveillance and electronic security devices.

The key is not spending more on security than you lose in theft. If you spend $50,000 a year to prevent the loss of $38,000 of product, you may as well let them take the stuff.

You can take the moral indignation high road but sometimes the moral indignation high road leads to bankruptcy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The once or twice I've been in womens clothing stores for repairs, they
have made effort to count the number of items that go in to the fitting
rooms. Still, they appear to lose a lot of items due to theft. That's a
real shame, that peoples morality is going down hill like that.

Shoplifting has been going on as long as there have been shops.

In fact it's probably not as prevalent now as it has been in the past because of surveillance and electronic security devices.

The key is not spending more on security than you lose in theft. If you spend $50,000 a year to prevent the loss of $38,000 of product, you may as well let them take the stuff.

You can take the moral indignation high road but sometimes the moral indignation high road leads to bankruptcy.

Before I retired, the company was employing more and more contract
workers at the lab site I was at. Real PITA. Even though they
increased security, theft losses doubled. Night janitors were a real
problem and even though they had to walk through the gate and open their
lunch boxes, stuff disappeared. I'm told of spotting tracks in the snow
on either side of the fence where stuff was tossed over.
I was waiting for a lock to be put on a lab balance (also contractors)
and forgot to lock it up and it was stolen. Cost me a half day with the
paperwork and investigation. Contract electricians, millwrights and
painters caused me lots of grief but I guess the company thought it was
worth it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've had problems with guys who worked for me even after I told them
"Don't take anything without permission from someone in charge. Don't
even take a dirty snot rag unless someone gives you permission." I had a
guy working for me who knocked out communications for a hamburger chain
by taking a souvenir which was a wall wort power supply for a
modem. I told the guy not to take any of the abandon phone equipment
in a telephone room without permission. My admonition was in front of an
employee of the company I was doing work for. The moron couldn't help
it, he just had to take something and he was a former convict I
was trying to help. I learned my lesson after I lost that account. No
more convicts, no more alcoholics and no more pot heads. I won't even
hire a smoker because they're addicted to a very powerful albeit legal
drug. Besides I'm very allergic to the smoke as are many employees of my
customers. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 2, 2013 4:56:36 PM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:

On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:36:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...snip....]

I won't even hire a smoker because they're addicted to a very powerful albeit legal drug. Besides I'm very allergic to the smoke as are many employees of my
customers. ^_^

Got a call the other day out of the blue from a friend I had worked with in the non-smokers' rights movement -- must be at least 2 decades ago. What we had to go through, between the all-powerful tobacco lobby and the freaking politicians who were too scared or too venal to vote in the public interest!!!

People today who can breathe freely in restaurants, movies, stores, etc. don't realize what it was like back then -- threats, insults, sometimes physical violence.

There are STILL problems we hear about all the time from apartment dwellers who are suffering like hell from smoke drifting into their space from another unit or from a balcony. The smokers are indignant that they can't do what they like in their own space. The victims -- perhaps with a medical condition that could be life-threatening if they inhale smoke -- are equally indignant that they have to live with windows closed in all weather, can't go out on their porches/balconies, and even so, smoke finds its way into their space.

Some newer construction is dedicated smoke-free, but that doesn't help people stuck in an unbearable situation in older housing.

How would Solomon render judgment?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

At the Hoover washing machine manufacturing plant. (Merthyr Tydfil)
Washing machines were disappearing but how?

Went on for years.
It finally trnspired that the guys who loaded the trucks figuered out how to
pack in two extra machines in every truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 8/2/2013 6:08 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

So why are frequently blowing smoke outta your ass?

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

I used to work with a HVAC maintenance guy who wore one of those blue denim
shop jackets with big pockets, every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. His
reason:

On the days he wanted to take small items from the "open parts bins" (nuts,
bolts, etc.) it wouldn't look weird if he suddenly wore a jacket. If he
wore the jacket everyday, no one would suspect him of stealing like they
would if he showed up wearing it on a random 90 degree day.

Think about that. He wasn't planning on stealing stuff everyday, but he was
dressing so that he could do so whenever he wanted to without raising
suspicion. What a strange way to go through life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2013 10:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

There is an old story most likely apocryphal about a factory worker who
rolled a wheelbarrow filled with sand out the gate every day he worked
at the factory. The guard always stopped him and dug through the sand
slinging the sand every where but never found anything hidden in the
sand. On the factory workers last day on the job, he exited the gate
without his customary wheelbarrow. Upon seeing this, the guard stopped
him and said, "I know you were stealing something all these years, so
tell me before I go nuts." The factory worker answered, "wheelbarrows".
^_^
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 03:42:47 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2013 3:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

What do you have against planning ahead??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08-02-2013 19:08, Frank wrote:
Before I retired, the company was employing more and more contract
workers at the lab site I was at. Real PITA. Even though they
increased security, theft losses doubled. Night janitors were a real
problem and even though they had to walk through the gate and open their
lunch boxes, stuff disappeared. I'm told of spotting tracks in the snow
on either side of the fence where stuff was tossed over.
I was waiting for a lock to be put on a lab balance (also contractors)
and forgot to lock it up and it was stolen. Cost me a half day with the
paperwork and investigation. Contract electricians, millwrights and
painters caused me lots of grief but I guess the company thought it was
worth it.

At one place I worked, a rather small lady took a large empty box.
I suppose she needed it for moving. I was leaving the plant right
behind her. She tossed the box over the ten-foot fence, and CLICK, the
turnstile locked and the speaker spewed, "What's in that box?"

I'm thinking, "If there were anything of any size in that box. she
couldn't have thrown it like that, and if it were of any value, it isn't
after falling ten feet onto the parking lot."

But before I could say that, the guard said something like, "Hold it
where we can look inside."

Now I'm thinking, "Odd to ask her to do anything with the box after
you locked the gate between her and it."

--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
€” Samuel Butler, 1612-1680

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

There are lots of very light, yet valuable items. In addition, value is in
the eye of the beholder. A small, relatively unbreakable item, cushioned
with lots of bubble wrap, could easily survive a ten-ten foot fall.

But before I could say that, the guard said something like, "Hold it
where we can look inside."

Now I'm thinking, "Odd to ask her to do anything with the box after
you locked the gate between her and it."

Now I'm thinking, "Odd that someone could throw a large empty box over a
ten-foot fence." I would have liked to have seen her technique.

Would you stop for a moment?! aassime abdellatif Woodworking 7 September 2nd 08 02:13 PM
Meldrew Moment The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 January 29th 07 01:47 PM
A MOMENT OF SILENCE, PLEASE.... MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 9 November 1st 06 11:29 AM
Duh moment Mike Richardson Woodworking 2 November 23rd 05 12:51 AM
B&Q v cheap sds at the moment David UK diy 17 June 24th 04 04:05 AM