Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What material is used for pool equipment o-rings (buna? viton?nitrile? silicone?)

On May 26, 12:16*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:04:52 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
I fully understand fourier transforms (classical & FFT's).
Can I easily / simply explain them? *to you?

I understand them, and can explain them (to the level that
I need to).

To me, it's simply the ability to mathematically break down a
complex periodic wave into its component sine waves of various
frequencies.

For example, if I take a square wave, I can break it down
into component sine waves of different frequencies; and vice
versa, if I mix the right frequencies of sine waves together,
I get back my original square wave.

I suppose I could explain them to you in a few dozens of hours?
Would that count?

I think I know Fourier transforms as well as I need to know,
but if you want to correct my simplification above, I'd be
glad to be the recipient of your largess.

that qualifies as understanding?
cut & past from wikipedia?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 12:17*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 10:56:22 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
Now that Oren has divined that you are retired .....all I can say is
"oh goodie".

I like Oren. I really do. But he still scares me!

I respect Oren's contributions... he in no way scares me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 12:21*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:37:13 -0700, Oren wrote:
Upon retirement; he took up DIY home repair, not a bad thing, though.

I never worked on a home before.

In the beginning, I rented. Later on, I didn't have the time, so I paid.
Then I left my life-long profession (good riddance) and bought a run-down
fixer-upper hidden deep in the mountains, so now I've got the three
incredible ingredients for DIY home repair:

I. An old house
II. No money
III. Lots of time!

If you didn't have the first, there'd be nothing to fix; if not the
second, I'd just pay someone else to have all the fun; and the third
is a prerequisite to spending more time learning how to do the job
than doing the job itself.

PS: The fourth thing you need is an nntp newsreader & server and
* * good friends who care about and understand you!

Bummer about spending your life doing something you hated......

"left my life-long profession (good riddance)"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:49:54 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

but you have seem to have no problem attempting to reveal all sorts of
information (correct or incorrect) about others.

Trust me, I could have revealed quite a lot more ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:51:07 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

that qualifies as understanding?
cut & past from wikipedia?

I took Calculus in high school, and in college.
As did you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:51:53 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I respect Oren's contributions... he in no way scares me

You must be Aspergers. Oren gets the joke. You don't.
Oren helps. You don't.
I like Oren.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:54:03 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

Bummer about spending your life doing something you hated......

I should have been an engineer - and - have just finished
auditing a semester's worth of classes at the local college.

Passed it all (Pass/Fail grade only) and loved designing
MOSFET and BJT amplifiers; but had a tough time with poles
and zeroes....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:51:07 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

that qualifies as understanding?

BTW, on purpose, I had purposefully described the Fourier series,
and not the Fourier transform (which converts that series into an
algebraic equation).

And you didn't even mention that!

It was a test. Just like yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 19:10:25 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:05:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

You really (really) scare me!

Why?!

I strive to be totally anonymous on the net, giving out only the
information needed to solve the problem.

Good luck with that.

You seem to be able to discern more than I intended others to
know about me and my personal life...

I only comment on what you say or do, Danny.

BOO!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:54:03 -0700 (PDT), DD_BobK
wrote:

Bummer about spending your life doing something you hated......

I fairness, employees do experience "Burnout". Some say on the job it
may be at 9 or 15 years; perhaps twice over a career. I've
experienced burnout over 25 years on a job.

I finally quit and told them to send my pension to the house. G

Not to mentioned me being in the "penalty box" a couple of times. I
got past that and the burnout. Checks still show up

I got the last laugh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 19:21:40 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:37:13 -0700, Oren wrote:

Upon retirement; he took up DIY home repair, not a bad thing, though.

I never worked on a home before.

You never twisted the end of mom's butter knife? Shame on you.

Retirement allows time for refreshers in DIY.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 14:42:48 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

I should have been an engineer - and - have just finished
auditing a semester's worth of classes at the local college.

Passed it all (Pass/Fail grade only) and loved designing
MOSFET and BJT amplifiers; but had a tough time with poles
and zeroes....

....now ya done got past my learning level

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:52:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

BOO!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 14:36:24 +0000, Danny D wrote:

I took Calculus in high school, and in college.

BTW, I don't think I've *ever* needed Calculus in my
daily life.

For example, I've never taken the derivative of
anything in order to do something; nor have I calculated
the integral of anything for practical purposes.

I'm sure *you* have, given your theoretical &
practical background; but I just never needed it.

Still, it's nice to know the simplest things, e.g.,
the integral is the area under the curve and the
derivative is the change of the output given a
change in (usually) time.

That's just about all *I* need to know about Calculus
(but now we're straying far too much away from the topic).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:45*am, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:51:07 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
that qualifies as understanding?

BTW, on purpose, I had purposefully described the Fourier series,
and not the Fourier transform (which converts that series into an
algebraic equation).

And you didn't even mention that!

It was a test. Just like yours.

DDD-

That's why I figured it was a "cut & paste"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:35*am, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:49:54 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
but you have seem to have no problem attempting to reveal all sorts of
information (correct or incorrect) about others.

Trust me, I could have revealed quite a lot more ...

as people could of you but they just go on what your writing reveals.

Of course I knew that...

But you didn't comment on the duplicity of your desires vs your own
behavior.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:39*am, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:51:53 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
I respect Oren's contributions... he in no way scares me

You must be Aspergers. Oren gets the joke. You don't.
Oren helps. You don't.
I like Oren.

I tried to help...but you waste people's time.
I try to return favors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:42*am, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:54:03 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
Bummer about spending your life doing something you hated......

I should have been an engineer - and - have just finished
auditing a semester's worth of classes at the local college.

Passed it all (Pass/Fail grade only) and loved designing
MOSFET and BJT amplifiers; but had a tough time with poles
and zeroes....

Maybe you should have been...might have injected some logic into your
problem solving methods.
Those labs & report writing can have amazing influence.

Suggestion:
Stick with ME courses....more applicable to DIY home repair.
Though, welding, wood shop & basic electrical would be more helpful.

Tip:
Systems are unstable when poles are in the right hand plane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 23:36:11 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

But you didn't comment on the duplicity of your
desires vs your own behavior.....

You must recall that you said that you live within walking
distance of me - and that you could stop by to help me out.

So, all I did was look up where you live in response to your
offer (it only took me a few minutes - so I probably responded
to your offer within that time frame - although we could just
look back at that thread to see the turnaround time).

Turns out you don't live anywhere near me; so I wrote what
I did obfuscated, but enough for you to recognize yourself,
just to see if I had the right guy - and you didn't respond,
so I didn't expend the effort to take you up on your kind
offer.

However, I was stunned by your professional credentials.
Your technical accomplishments are simply amazing!

PS: I could use some of that explosive talent on my brush piles!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 23:30:50 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

That's why I figured it was a "cut & paste"

Naah. All I know about the Fourier series is that this
Frenchman figured out that every periodic wave was composed
of just sine waves of various frequencies. That's pretty
ingenious to figure out.

And, of transform, whew! It's a beast. I've never needed
it outside of academia; but it's great for an algebraic
reduction of complex differential equations. Luckily,
I only took the first year of college calculus, so we
really didn't deal with it other than theoretically.

It's used in the EE class I'm auditing though, but again,
only at the theoretical level.

Starting in the fall, I'm taking organic chemistry,
which should be a lot of fun!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 23:45:50 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

Though, welding, wood shop & basic electrical would be more helpful.

I have an old arc welder, and oxyacetylene tanks that I picked up
at a garage sale. It's night now, but I can snap pictures of them
in the daylight for you to see. I haven't used them though, and
I don't even know if they work. Haven't even checked the hydro
dates on the tanks - but the goal was to be able to weld when/if
I ever needed to (my steel water tanks are leaking).

Took wood shop in junior high and high school for far too many
years. Now that I'm older, I realize that it's better to take
a bunch of different classes in high school than the same class
over and over again, because you don't know what you like at that
young age.

Read all the SAMS books ages ago on basic electronics, and even
built a few 68701 Motorola microprocessor boards as a kid. This
was before PCs, of course, when you *had* to build your own
boards. But I forgot most of the assembly language stuff long
ago (load accumulator A, push and pop data off the registers,
etc.). Yuck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 2:08*am, Danny D wrote:
On Mon, 27 May 2013 23:30:50 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
That's why I figured it was a "cut & paste"

Naah. All I know about the Fourier series is that this
Frenchman figured out that every periodic wave was composed
of just sine waves of various frequencies. That's pretty
ingenious to figure out.

And, of transform, whew! It's a beast. I've never needed
it outside of academia; but it's great for an algebraic
reduction of complex differential equations. Luckily,
I only took the first year of college calculus, so we
really didn't deal with it other than theoretically.

It's used in the EE class I'm auditing though, but again,
only at the theoretical level.

Starting in the fall, I'm taking organic chemistry,
which should be a lot of fun!

I certainly hope you're a paying customer.......

I pity the instructor & students who will be sharing lecture time /
space with you.
BTDT... the S/N is going to be unbelievably panful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 2:03*am, Danny D wrote:
[...]

I need help recognizing myself?
Somehow I cannot believe that was your motivation...

The problem is....many people cannot appreciate things that they get
for free.

I mistakenly figured you lived in the foothills of Orange County based
on terrain & vegetation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 07:30:03 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I certainly hope you're a paying customer.......

Yes. You can't audit without being registered, and,
you must take all exams and do all homework.

The only difference is the grade is Pass/Fail
(and the fact I'm three times the age of the students,
and, often twice the age of the professor!).

I have one advantage over some students, in that
I have an application in mind when the professor
discusses things - and I bring that to the table.

When I show the math, I show everything, down to
the last detail - for which I've received kudos
for in these classes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:28:48 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 07:30:03 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I certainly hope you're a paying customer.......

Yes. You can't audit without being registered, and,
you must take all exams and do all homework.

The only difference is the grade is Pass/Fail
(and the fact I'm three times the age of the students,
and, often twice the age of the professor!).

Definitions differ. When I was in college (and indeed when I was an
instructor at a different, private, college) "Pass/Fail" and "Audit"
were completely separate modes. "Pass/Fail" was as you describe.
"Audit" didn't require exams, though they were voluntary. Professors
couldn't stop someone (indeed didn't know) if someone was taking the
course "Pass/Fail" but could and certainly did, if they wanted to
audit a course.

I have one advantage over some students, in that
I have an application in mind when the professor
discusses things - and I bring that to the table.

When I show the math, I show everything, down to
the last detail - for which I've received kudos
for in these classes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

IME, as well, aduit is much different than Pass/Fail......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_audit

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Danny D., Oliver Street wrote:
You did the right thing. The choices are substantially butyl rubber, nitrile
rubber, BUNA-N, and Viton. The correct choice for an application is driven by
cost vs. the resistance to whatever environmental stress is present that will
either break down the rubber or penetrate and swell the rubber until it's too
soft. Viton is between 1.5x and 2x the price, and has several times the
resistance to oxidation salt and chlorine, and swells about 1/10 to 1/4 as
much as the others in oil and grease, and less in water. The pecking order
would be Viton, Nitrile or BUNA-N, butyl, unstated elastomer.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...to-749807-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DD_BobK, makingland wrote:
You're a worthless asshole that is attempting to subverting the man's ability
to learn. Why are you here?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...to-749807-.htm