Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr. Boning

Default Pool Equipment Dilemma

I have a 7,200 gallon in-ground fiberglass pool (12x20x4). There is 2"
PVC plumbing to the pump (Hayward SP3020EE). The pump has a 2 HP motor.
There is 1 1/2" PVC plumbing from the pump to the filter (Hayward
C1100). The exit plumbing on the filter is 1 1/12" PVC which goes back
to the pool. I acquired the pool and equipment used almost 6 years ago.
The base of the filter system is now leaking and needs to be replaced.
Based on the information I am finding around on the internet, I could
downgrade to a C-250 and I would still be over the minimum requirement
for a 7,200 gallon pool. The only thing that worries me is if there
would be too much pressure from the pump for a smaller filter system. I
have asked several people working at pool stores in the area. As soon
as I let on that I currently have the C-1100, they start salivating and
assure me that I should replace the equipment with at least the same
size if not bigger. But I don't get a good feeling that their
recommendations are based on something other than greed. Is there
anyone out there that really understands the water pressure involved
that can verify if a 2 HP motor will really cause too much pressure for
the smaller filter system?

Please Advise,
Mr. Boning

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Mr. Boning" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have a 16000 gal pool The pump puts out about 10 to 12 pounds pressure.
I'll bet your pump is putting about the same. You could have a 5HP motor 10
pound of pressure. 10 pounds of pressure regardless of HP motor is 10 pounds
Pressure, The advantage of a higher HP would be a larger impeller witch
moves more volume the more water you can move in a pools filter system the
better. I'm sure the filter manufacturer could supply the information you
need. The sales people would most likely want to sell you a new motor. I
myself would think the larger motor would be better. Most people get
pressure and volume mixed up there two separate thing. 1/2" pipe with 10
psi and a 2" pipe with 10 psi witch will move more water?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

[...]

I believe that filters are rated for the volume they can handle. Similarly, pumps
are rated for output volume at given pressures. As long as the filter is designed
for the rated pump output, you should be fine.

http://www.haywardnet.com/products/d...m?ProductID=11

I did not find your filter. That pump pushes a lot of water, so a small filter might not be
a good idea.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
shawn

2HP for 7200 gallon pool? i vote no way! that is way oversized for a
new pump not to mention the amount of $$ energy you're blowin on that
unless you're running a ton of water features.

mines probably 12k-16k gallons, with at least a 100 foot rise to the
roof to enter the solar panels. I have a 1 1/2 hp and I could run a 1
1/4hp but i run a polaris sweep off it also. In the future i'm going
to bump the pump size down and use a booster for the polaris. Plumbed
2" at filters and solar, 1 1/2 to the pool.

You need to go here...
http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-pump-sizing-2.shtml

its a pretty decent tutorial when i was replumbing my pool. Also read
the docs at the pool filter and pump manufacturers sites.

You also need to keep in mind a new pump will be more efficient over a
pump 8 or 10 years ago.

-shawn

Mr. Boning wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Mr. Boning writes:

I have a 7,200 gallon in-ground fiberglass pool (12x20x4). There is 2"
PVC plumbing to the pump (Hayward SP3020EE). The pump has a 2 HP motor.

Way, way too much pump for that size pool. You've been spending $50 per
month in wasted power running that thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On 31 May 2006 15:24:52 -0700, "Mr. Boning"
wrote:

[...]

Holly Cow... my pool is 5 times the size of yours.. and I run a 1 1/2
horse power pump and have for close to 30 years..

No Idea on exactly what pump amd filter you are using BUT it sounds to
be extremely oversized for your application...

Bob G.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Mr. Boning" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm running a 1.5 Hp motor with a 450 sq.ft. filter area and the a 3/4 HP
pump for the Polaris. 16000 gal. pool.