Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Smart" Meters made them sick

On 2/15/2013 9:41 AM, harry wrote:
On Feb 15, 3:03 pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:25 am, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 14, 7:59 pm, "
wrote:

On Feb 14, 2:31 pm, wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:22:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:12:32 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
Unfortunately we just trade the old dependence on foreign oil we had
for a dependence on foreign solar collectors right at the time when
we
have a fossil energy surplus here. Coincidence? Maybe but I smell
rich
people manipulating a market.

Surplus. Uh-huh.

If there's such a surplus then why are prices going up-up-up?

Natural gas prices at the wholesale levels are going down. If your
supplier is raising the price that is another problem.

We're supposed to be on the "cheaper" winter blend right now and prices
are creeping back to $4 a gallon.

That is gasoline, electric plants don't use gasoline.

Frankly I'd rather pay the Chinese for solar panels than the greedy old
white men manipulating the gas prices.

So you prefer greedy old chinese people and their US partners ... OK

Not to mention all the govt borrowed and printed money that
went down rat holes like Solyndra. How much nat gas could
you buy with $500mil?

#
# A fixed amount. There is no limit on sunshine.
#

Only true if you ignore the limits on the output of the sun and the amount
of surface area available to capture it,- Hide quoted text -

Or the cost and life of whatever it is that turns the sun into useful
energy.
harry doesn't understand that part of the equation.

And you don't understand that fossil fuels are a finite resource.

everything, including the sun power, is a finite resource.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default computer trojan destroys hard drives

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 05:59:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Not likely, as I lost three drives on the same day.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Not the same brand and model from the same batch??
I bought 5 WD black 500gb drives on the same day. 3 failed that day. 2
stayed on my shelf and failed within 3 months - either on installation
or shortly after.
They were within 100 in production sequence according to the serial
number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2013 11:08 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:15:58 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:57:51 -0500,
wrote:

The C: drive is harder to restore because of the way
Windoze installs software. You really need a cloned drive.
This allows you to restore to a new drive quickly - but if the
microcode on a drive goes bad, it is going to be pretty difficult to
get the clone back onto the dead drive. There are likely programs
available similar to the old "low level format" used on MFM and RLL
drives - but they will be VERY specific - kinda like the low level
format was specific to both drive and controller back in the early
days.

Has anyone actually seen a drive with a virus clobbered firmware?
I think if I see a corrupted drive I am thinking deer, not unicorn.

I've seen drives fail from bad microcode - but there was no virus
involved - and the drives were not field recoverable. The MPG series
Fujitsu comes to mind. The earlier Japanese Fujitsu drives were
bulletproof. They started building the MPG series in Thailand and the
failure rate within warrantee went up to aproxemately 75%, and one
year out of warranty closer to 90%. It put Fujitsu out of the desktop
computer hard drive business in a rather spectacular fashion.

Back in the 90's I was building and selling a lot of white box computers
and one of my suppliers started selling a very inexpensive
line of hard drives manufactured in India. I don't remember the name
of the darn things but an unusual amount of curse words often drowned
out the actual name whenever anyone dared mention the accursed things. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 5:19*pm, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 15, 3:03 pm, "
wrote:

On Feb 15, 6:25 am, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Are they ?
On what do you base this claim ??

Because they are accreted at a miniscule/zero rate compared with
extraction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:25 am, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

The difference is that sun power is being "expended" whether we
utilise it or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 11:02*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:00:00 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Harry Johnson wrote in
:

Where I live, we are running out of fossil fuels.

You obviously don't live on Earth. Earth currently has a glut of fossil
fuels, and prices are declining.

Maybe we should capture free energy from the sun?

Not if that energy costs many times the price of fossil fuels.

He will, even if it means *you* living in a cave. *That's the lefty
way.

When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living in a
cave. Unless we have a substitute.

The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people in America
don't even have a cave and must live in tents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sorry that happened to you, but what are the odds of me having a desk
top drive and two external drives from the same batch? Not in my life time.
Why not go with my explaination which is that I picked up a malware trojan
that destroyed my drives? Is that answer unacceptable for some reason?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Not likely, as I lost three drives on the same day.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Not the same brand and model from the same batch??
I bought 5 WD black 500gb drives on the same day. 3 failed that day. 2
stayed on my shelf and failed within 3 months - either on installation
or shortly after.
They were within 100 in production sequence according to the serial
number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2013 6:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sorry that happened to you, but what are the odds of me having a desk
top drive and two external drives from the same batch? Not in my life time.
Why not go with my explaination which is that I picked up a malware trojan
that destroyed my drives? Is that answer unacceptable for some reason?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

There was news about two weeks or so ago, about a really bad virus
hiding out in one of the universally used software thingies....Java? I
didn't bother with it because my computer is mechanically sick anyway
and whatever is out there has always been snagged by my friend, Norton.
My former family of computer professionals (four of them) each, at
some time or another, sent me a virus which Norton caught. They all
claimed Norton was junk, but I'm happy with it. Looking for a 'puter
not made in China. My first was a Micron, gift from my brother, with
quality we'll never see again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
I'm sorry that happened to you, but what are the odds of me having a desk
top drive and two external drives from the same batch?

I don't know enough to speculate on the combination of desktop and
external, but the time I lost multiple drives in one day it turned out
to be a drive controller on the way out that was frying drives as they
were connected.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry Johnson wrote:
On 2/13/2013 2:50 AM, Tegger wrote:

Where I live, such solar panels are often installed immediately under
existing power lines. For example, those flashing lights that sit
atop certain traffic signs; until recently, those lights simply had
a short drop of cable from the overhead power, but now have a solar
panel. Abominably stupid and expensive, but in keeping with the
current tyrant's Green dreams.

Where I live, we are running out of fossil fuels.

Maybe we should capture free energy from the sun?

Free? Well, if you are on the government dole, perhaps.

The amount of the sun's energy falling on the earth is about 1300 watts/sq
meter. At the equator. At noon. With no clouds.

Assuming 50% efficiency of a photovalactic converter, to supply enough
electricity for California (~50GW) and adjusting for latitude, 12 hours
(average) of darkness, and cloud cover, you would need a solar farm of
approximately 1,200 sq miles.

This is about the size of the Los Angeles basin.

Can you imagine the cost to construct and maintain such a behemoth?

This idea can, however, be improved by moving the orbit of the earth closer
to the sun, which is just as practicle.

The good news about the plan, though, is that everybody in Los Angeles would
be living in the shade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living in a
cave. Unless we have a substitute.

The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people in America
don't even have a cave and must live in tents.

Oh, bother.

Rome denuded North Africa for wood to make charcoal. The wood ran out.
Later, Europeans did the same to Europe. The forests disappeared. But a
substitute was found.

Coal powered the Industrial Revolution and coal is still a big player. But
oil was found to be more convenient and cheaper.

Nuclear power is a possible long-term substitute, but it's still in its
infancy.

IF - and that's a BIG "if" - we come close to running out of petroleum,
something else will come along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 15, 5:19 pm, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 15, 3:03 pm, "
wrote:

On Feb 15, 6:25 am, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Is that so ?
And on what do you base this claim ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:25 am, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

poor harry
Somehow imagines that stating a followed by by, automatically connects them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 15, 11:02 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:00:00 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Harry Johnson wrote in
:

Where I live, we are running out of fossil fuels.

You obviously don't live on Earth. Earth currently has a glut of fossil
fuels, and prices are declining.

Maybe we should capture free energy from the sun?

Not if that energy costs many times the price of fossil fuels.

He will, even if it means *you* living in a cave. That's the lefty
way.

#
# When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living
# in a cave. Unless we have a substitute.
#
# The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people
# in America don't even have a cave and must live in tents.

Why should they
They know how to build houses
Don't they do that over their in the UK ??
Build houses

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
harry wrote:

When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living in a
cave. Unless we have a substitute.

The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people in America
don't even have a cave and must live in tents.

Oh, bother.

Rome denuded North Africa for wood to make charcoal. The wood ran out.
Later, Europeans did the same to Europe. The forests disappeared. But a
substitute was found.

Coal powered the Industrial Revolution and coal is still a big player. But
oil was found to be more convenient and cheaper.

Nuclear power is a possible long-term substitute, but it's still in its
infancy.

IF - and that's a BIG "if" - we come close to running out of petroleum,
something else will come along.

And let's not forget that it's the pinky greenies who want to stop using
nuclear, coal, oil, whatever..
All for our own good naturally..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Pete C.:

3. Offsite offline backup - Encrypted USB3 portable disk in safe deposit
box at bank

I like it.

Instead of the fire safe, I stash one copy in the garden shed and
another in my car.

Gotta wonder how many people lost all copies of their backup to Sandy.
--
Pete Cresswell

Tornado threat around here, I figure even if the bank building is gone
the vault will still be there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 12:08*am, wrote:
[...]

computer hard drive business in a rather spectacular fashion.- Hide quoted text -

How do you know the failure was specifically from microcode?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I remember those abortions as well - and have forever deleted the name
from my memory. About half the price of it's next competition, and
about (being really optimistic hear) 1/10 the quality. Made by Tata
perhaps??? The first "nano-drive"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 00:26:52 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 15, 11:02*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:00:00 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Harry Johnson wrote in
:

Where I live, we are running out of fossil fuels.

You obviously don't live on Earth. Earth currently has a glut of fossil
fuels, and prices are declining.

Maybe we should capture free energy from the sun?

Not if that energy costs many times the price of fossil fuels.

He will, even if it means *you* living in a cave. *That's the lefty
way.

When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living in a
cave. Unless we have a substitute.

I won't live to be 10000 years old, dumbass. There will be
replacements by then (there already are but you lefties don't care).

The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people in America
don't even have a cave and must live in tents.

harry, we all know you're an idiot. You can turn off the beacon on
your head now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:31:32 -0600, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
harry wrote:

[...]

Of course. It's not about pollution at all. It's about control.
harry likes to be controlled. Some people (lefties) don't have the
brains to live on their own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 23:12:27 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 01:41:00 -0500, wrote:

I have seen lots of bad drives. Far more than half are W/D Caviar.

WD drives do fail. Just like any other drive. My experience is they
fail after the warranty. Those that failed earlier were replaced with
no questions asked. Cross shipped from WD before the return was sent.

In September I put in a 1GB WD Black that has a 5 year warranty. WD
drives used to be 3 year warranty.

I still trust them better than some brands I've had -- Maxtor,
Seagate, et al. Seagate Barracuda SCSI was a good drive when I ran
SCSI.

Personally I don't careHOW good the WARRANTY is - it is the quality
of the drive that matters. The cost to the customer of restoring even
a good backup is generally higher than the cost of the drive - and if
there is any problem with the restore - - - .Or if the backup is a
couple days old and data is lost- - - - -.

I'd rather have a drive (or just about anything else) that has a
reputation for long life and high quality with no warranty than a
piece of crap with a 15 year warranty with no-questions asked next day
replacement.

Lifetime warranty car batteries that get replaced every 2 years are a
pet peeve of mine - along with "lifetime" mufflers that last a year
and a half - and you end up paying to replace all the pipes every
second time, as well as the labour. Much rather head off to the local
custom bender and have a custom bent stainless system installed for
less than the price of OEM, just slightly more than aftermarket jobber
parts, and have it last 15 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:44:57 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Harry Johnson wrote:
[...]

OTOH, can you imagine a better use for the Los Angeles basin?

This idea can, however, be improved by moving the orbit of the earth closer
to the sun, which is just as practicle.

Speaking of "Global Warming"!

The good news about the plan, though, is that everybody in Los Angeles would
be living in the shade.

Everyone in California is living in the dark now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:44:05 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm sorry that happened to you, but what are the odds of me having a desk
top drive and two external drives from the same batch? Not in my life time.
Why not go with my explaination which is that I picked up a malware trojan
that destroyed my drives? Is that answer unacceptable for some reason?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

In 20 some years as a computer tech I haven't seen it. I've seen the
drives rendered unreadable, or unbootable, but not un-restorable. Not
saying it CAN.T happen - but I've never seen it or heard of it being
substantiated. 5 years of that with what at that time was the largest
distributor of hard drives in Canada.

.. .
wrote:

Not likely, as I lost three drives on the same day.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Not the same brand and model from the same batch??
I bought 5 WD black 500gb drives on the same day. 3 failed that day. 2
stayed on my shelf and failed within 3 months - either on installation
or shortly after.
They were within 100 in production sequence according to the serial
number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:12:44 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

[...]

Norton IS a virus!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2013 12:06 PM, harry wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:34 pm, Robert wrote:
On Feb 13, 4:16 am, Harry Johnson wrote:

Where I live, we are running out of fossil fuels.

Maybe we should capture free energy from the sun?

Not if it takes more fossil fuel to excavate, refine,
manufacture and distribute a solar panel than the
energy the panel can produce during it's working life.

It is a toy for people who can get government subsidies.

Here's a real world example:

A 25 watt panel costs about $125 . That is the cost
to produce the panel and get it into the hands of a
homeowner -- i.e. the selling price, typically.

Use Dallas as a location. 10 cents per kwh
and a yearly average of 5.5 hours of "full sun" per day.

OK $125 means 1,250,000 watt-hours of electricity

That means 1,250,000 / (5.5 x 25) = 9091 days of
power generation at full panel ability.

That means 9091/365 = 24.9 years to break even on
cost of generated power, assuming zero maintenance
and zero damage from rain and hail.

An unsustainable scenario.......

And if you figure in the cost of external infrastructure
that's needed --- batteries, wiring, power converter,
installation costs, maintenance on the infrastructure...

..... the business decision is a no-brainer....

Solar is a TOY, unless there is no other possible
way.......Even a gasoline generator is more
cost-effective...

Clearly you have never been to Germany.
Solar panels are cost effective because they need no fuel to run
them. Their projected life is around 25 years. And they produce no
pollution once manufactured.
You have to buy gasoline to run your generator. You have to maintain
it and it has a lifetime of a few thousand hours at best. And the cost
of fossil fuels will rise.
And fossil fuels are too valuable to burn.

Government subsidies, by definition, mean not cost effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I gave the drives to two computer repair people. Both said they could do
nothing with the drives. If you want more information than that, the "more
information" is totally not available.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:44:05 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Let's be clear, was the drive destroyed or just the data on the drive?
(more likely the data was just made unavailable by wiping out the
partition table)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I instructed tech #2 to put the drives in the trash can. So, you'll have to
just wonder about it, and keep yourself awake all night, pacing the floor.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

In 20 some years as a computer tech I haven't seen it. I've seen the
drives rendered unreadable, or unbootable, but not un-restorable. Not
saying it CAN.T happen - but I've never seen it or heard of it being
substantiated. 5 years of that with what at that time was the largest
distributor of hard drives in Canada.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2013 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 00:46:49 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The memory of those things is like the memory of the time I wet my pants
in the second grade. You want such a memory to be dim and distant. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 2:30*pm, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 15, 11:02 pm, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:00:00 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Harry Johnson wrote in
:

Where I live, we are running out of fossil fuels.

You obviously don't live on Earth. Earth currently has a glut of fossil
fuels, and prices are declining.

Maybe we should capture free energy from the sun?

Not if that energy costs many times the price of fossil fuels.

He will, even if it means *you* living in a cave. That's the lefty
way.

#
# When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living
# in a cave. Unless we have a substitute.
#
# The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people
# in America don't even have a cave and must live in tents.

Why should they
They know how to build houses
Don't they do that over their in the UK ??
Build houses

Well as you seem so ignorant on the topic read here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty..._United_States
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 2:34 pm, Robert wrote:
[...]

True. But that is not the same as undesireable.

Is the US army cost effective?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:33:49 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

So were these evil people democrats or republicans?

Both

The democrats (Clinton) deregulated Wall Street, loosened lending
requirements and encouraged huge equity borrowing. The republicans
watched it go nuts, enjoying the recovery from the dot bomb recession
in 2000.

The Republicans under Bush, repeatedly tried to rein in the process, which
was resisted by Democrats such as Rangel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 15, 11:02 pm, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:00:00 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Harry Johnson wrote in
:

[...]

LOL
The only country where "poor" people are fat.
Go figure/.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:41:09 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:38:19 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Well as you seem so ignorant on the topic read here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty..._United_States

Poverty gas been defined so high in the US that our poor people live
better than 90% of the people in the world. The poverty level (those
too poor to pay income tax) is around $50,000 a year.
We have the fattest poor people on the planet.
They may live in government subsidized housing but it is far from a
tent. The only people in tents are yuppies camping, people in line for
over priced sport or concert tickets and spoiled rich kids complaining
about how their parents made the money they spend in "occupy"
protests.

Our poor have gold teeth (grills), gold jewelry, HVAC, cable TV,
Internet, IPhones, IPads, drive nice cars with spinners and not all
live in slums or tents.

I might have left something out :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 15, 11:02 pm, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:00:00 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Harry Johnson wrote in
:

[...]

They are fat because they eat McDonalds ****.
There is no nourishment and malnourishment.
Just a tiny increment between them.

I'm told Americans think McDonalds is a restaurant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use CD and DVD recordable disks for backups.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

I have started mirroring a lot of my drives. They are so cheap, why
not. Then a lot of the worry goes away. That is still no reason not to
have good backups of stuff you really don't want to lose.