Posted to alt.home.repair

Default computer trojan destroys hard drives

On Feb 16, 12:08*am, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:15:58 -0500, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:57:51 -0500, wrote:

The C: drive is harder to restore because of the way
Windoze installs software. You really need a cloned drive.
This allows you to restore to a new drive quickly - but if the
microcode on a drive goes bad, it is going to be pretty difficult to
get the clone back onto the dead drive. *There are likely programs
available similar to the old "low level format" used on MFM and RLL
drives - but they will be VERY specific - kinda like the low level
format was specific to both drive and controller back in the early
days.

Has anyone actually seen a drive with a virus clobbered firmware?
I think if I see a corrupted drive I am thinking deer, not unicorn.

I've seen drives fail from bad microcode - but there was no virus
involved - and the drives were not field recoverable. The MPG series
Fujitsu *comes to mind. The earlier Japanese Fujitsu drives were
bulletproof. They started building the MPG series in Thailand and the
failure rate within warrantee went up to aproxemately 75%, and one
year out of warranty closer to 90%. It put Fujitsu out of the desktop
computer hard drive business in a rather spectacular fashion.- Hide quoted text -

How do you know the failure was specifically from microcode?