Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car coolant question

I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:32*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:02:56 -0600, wrote:
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. *That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. *I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. *It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. *Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? *It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. *I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. *I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

Yet another troll from HomoGay.

Yeah, sure looks like it. 5 mins to move it on his property?
In 5 mins you could go 2.5 miles at 15mph.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:44*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:32*pm, wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:02:56 -0600, wrote:
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. *That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. *I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. *It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. *Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? *It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. *I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. *I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

Yet another troll from HomoGay.

Yeah, sure looks like it. *5 mins to move it on his property?
In 5 mins you could go 2.5 miles at 15mph.

Correction, make that 1.25 miles, but the same troll
principle applies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:44:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 26, 7:32*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:02:56 -0600, wrote:
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. *That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. *I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. *It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. *Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? *It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. *I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. *I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

Yet another troll from HomoGay.

Yeah, sure looks like it. 5 mins to move it on his property?
In 5 mins you could go 2.5 miles at 15mph.

Hey dickhead, I'm sure I'm not the first person who has had to wait for
auto parts and needed to move a vehicle. I'm asking a serious question.
I do not have another way to move it. It's assholes like you that ruin
newsgroups. just went into my kill file.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:33:14 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

wrote in news:sbr8g8pv719vtlr5i8l4afmf4e12c17tht@
4ax.com:

I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this?

Absolutely not. You WILL fry something in the top end, either valves or
rings, possibly both.

If you must move the car, tow or push. Do NOT run this engine.

2 minutes would likely be safe. 5 would definitely be pushing your
luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

I think 15-20 seconds would be max.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
wrote:
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

I think 15-20 seconds would be max.

Greg

How long is your garden hose ?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

This time of year, it should be OK. Watch the dash gages in case it warms
up, or the temp light comes on. If that happens, shut off the engine, lift
the hood till it cools down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:13:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

This time of year, it should be OK. Watch the dash gages in case it warms
up, or the temp light comes on. If that happens, shut off the engine, lift
the hood till it cools down.

Dash light is controlled by a sensor in the water. No water, no
sensing. ooops, too late

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oil also cools engine. But I don't know how long the oil alone can keep
the temp in safe range.

True, but some area's like around exhaust valve seats become very hot
very rapidly without aggressive coolant circulation. Oil circulation
alone will provide little if any cooling around these 'hotspots'.

Even full of coolant without circulation, these area's will quickly boil.

Personally, were it mine, I'd limit dry runtime to 20 seconds or less,
and then only under light loads. If I 'had' to move it further, I'd give
it 10 or 15 minutes between runs.

Keep in mind that even during normal operation, said hotspots are
'pushing' localized thermal shock limits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_shock

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 3:37*am, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:32:48 -0500, wrote:
Hey dickhead, I'm sure I'm not the first person who has had to wait for
auto parts and needed to move a vehicle. *I'm asking a serious question.
I do not have another way to move it. *It's assholes like you that ruin
newsgroups. just went into my kill file.

He's been in mine (and a lot more) a LOOONG time.

That's good to know.

Yes CL has been taken to the woodshed too many
times by me for some of the dumb things he's posted.
Seems he's in a bit of a spat with Bud and Robert Macy
right now too, in the thread about lightning rods. Posting links
that prove himself wrong and doesn't even realize it.
So, yeah, no surprise he has me in his kill file. I'm in
good company there. And I think I'll join in the fun in
the other thread now too....
Posted to alt.home.repair

If a tree falls in the woods, and everyone has it
killfiled, did it make a sound?

What is the sound of two killfiled posters,
posting?

Is this an exclusive club, or can just anyone be
killfiled by Home Guy? Do I need to wear a
tux and bowtie to be killfiled?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Posting links
that prove himself wrong and doesn't even realize it.
So, yeah, no surprise he has me in his kill file. I'm in
good company there. And I think I'll join in the fun in
the other thread now too....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 8:40*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
If a tree falls in the woods, and everyone has it
killfiled, did it make a sound?

What is the sound of two killfiled posters,
posting?

Is this an exclusive club, or can just anyone be
killfiled by Home Guy? Do I need to wear a
tux and bowtie to be killfiled?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I don't know. But just for grins, this killfiled poster will
bring up something no one else has apparently thought
about. Cooling the engine isn't the only function of
coolant. It also lubricates the water pump. And I'd be
a lot more worried about running that dry for 2 mins,
than I would be about damaging the engine. But then
he needs 5 mins to go across his vast estate.....
I wonder if that's at 15 mph or 75?
Most of us with connected brain cells only take
radiators out of cars where they are not 5 mins away
from where they can be left for a few days to begin with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:39:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz

I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

I think 15-20 seconds would be max.

Greg

Depends on the car and engine - what thermal mass does it have? Some
engines will run at low power for HOURS with no coolant. Others are
scrap in 5 minutes. The important thing is how long it takes to get
the critical parts of the engine heated up to the critical
temperature. If you are not stupid enough to pour cold water into it,
most engines can stand 300 degrees F without damaging the valves,
rings, cyls, bearings, block, heads or gaskets under light load.

HOWEVER - I would at least block the hoses and fill it with water, and
better yet short circuit the rad hoses. The water in the block will
take more than 5 minutes to heat to the point the thermostat would
open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This time of year, it should be OK. Watch the dash gages in case it warms
up, or the temp light comes on. If that happens, shut off the engine, lift
the hood till it cools down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

Without coolant the guage will in all likelihood never go up - or the
light come on. Bothe measure COOLANT temperature, not engine
temperature. No coolant, no indication.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2013 9:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

On Jan 26, 7:32 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Oil also cools engine. But I don't know how long the oil alone can keep
the temp in safe range.

I'm not reading everything in thread, but water could function as
temporary coolant, drained and disposed of. What's the big deal? I'm
old enough to remember when just water was used in warm months and
methanol added as antifreeze in the winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:36:47 -0600, wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:29:49 -0500,
wrote:

wrote:

I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

I wouldn't do it. Might have no use for the repaired radiator.
Leave it, or find another way to move it.

I would not run it f minutes. But you can easily make a "short
circuit pipe" to fit between the rad hoses, fill it with coolant, move
it and drain it.

Now that is a great idea.
I probably have a pipe for that too.
Sometimes posting on here is well worth it.

Thanks!

A bit of PVC and a pair of elbows works fine. Don't even need to glue
it together - just a wrap of tape to hold it together. Put the pipe in
the lower hose, fill from top of pipe, pop the top hose on, and start
it up.

That said -

My daughter's '82 Colt 200 blew the rad one cold and nasty night about
10 miles from home. I went out with 2 gallons of water and tried to
fill the rad. Water ran out as fast as I could pour it in. I gave my
daughter the keys to my car and told her to follow me. I started the
colt, took it up to 100kph and shut it off, letting it coast. When it
got down to about 30 or 40 I turned on the ignition, popped the
clutch, and took it up to 100 again, then coasted it down. Took 3 or 4
cycles to get it home to my driveway - where we put in a new rad the
next day. No harm done to the engine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:45:45 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

wrote in news:a949g8p7fatqaffk23cq48p5vnfoqn6q7v@
4ax.com:

2 minutes would likely be safe. 5 would definitely be pushing your
luck.

Even 30-seconds is not safe if there is no coolant in the head. The rad
being missing is NOT the same as simply having low coolant-level in a
complete system.

Combustion temperatures are around 1,500-2,000 degrees F. That heat builds
in seconds if it can't be carried away; without coolant, the surrounding
metal will overheat /very/ quickly, creating the strong probability of the
head warping, which will cause head-gasket failure and poor valve sealing.

Are you a mechanic???
I am. 30 seconds will not hurt ANYTHING. Period. The thermal mass is
highe enough to take a minute of no or light load running without harm
- even on a lightweight aluminum engine. - in most cases significantly
longer.

The Ccadillac Northstar can be driven 50 miles with absolutely no
coolant, without harm - and it is a FRAGILE engine. They do it by
rotating shutdown of cyls and reducing power output.

I would not run a dry engine for 5 minutes - but I have posted a
solution that works very well and is totally safe for a 5 minute run.
- short circuit pipe..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The problem with some here is that they take everything so literally.
He probably just said 5 minutes to be conservative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in news:a949g8p7fatqaffk23cq48p5vnfoqn6q7v@
4ax.com:

2 minutes would likely be safe. 5 would definitely be pushing your
luck.

Even 30-seconds is not safe if there is no coolant in the head. The rad
being missing is NOT the same as simply having low coolant-level in a
complete system.

Combustion temperatures are around 1,500-2,000 degrees F. That heat builds
in seconds if it can't be carried away; without coolant, the surrounding
metal will overheat /very/ quickly, creating the strong probability of the
head warping, which will cause head-gasket failure and poor valve sealing.

I don't know but my hunch is you are correct. That said since this
newsgroup seems indecisive about exact amount of time (understandable
IMO), I think he is well advised not to take a chance because I
think?? he has more to lose than to gain. Of course ultimately he
will make that decision.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

First, I am not a mechanic but I question the 5 minutes. I don't know
the outside temps his engine will be started but my experience shows
my engine reaching operating temps in less than 5 minutes. If this is
correct, then his engine will get pretty hot for a minute or so with
no liquid. As I said I'm no mechanic or mechanical engineer but this
sounds on the verge of dangerous to me. I sure hope he gets
confirmation on what you said, if he thinks you are correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just read your post you were referring to I think and in that post,
you did refer to running it with liquid ... therefore not dry. In
that case I agree if it's not much more than 5 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

will make that decision. *- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure all the deep knowledge you've demonstrated
about the actual topic will be of great comfort to him on
his 5 minute journey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I remember Cadillac advertizing from some time back that their engine
control system would allow the vehicle to run in limp home mode without
coolant in the engine's cooling system. Of course I recall top fuel
dragsters run without a cooling system at all but they rebuild the
engine after every run or two. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yeah ok.
Now I understand why some put you in their kill file.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Be interesting to see if he's got us both killfiled.

If so, I can go back to watching my gerbils have sex.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..