Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:33:14 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

wrote in news:sbr8g8pv719vtlr5i8l4afmf4e12c17tht@
4ax.com:

I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this?

Absolutely not. You WILL fry something in the top end, either valves or
rings, possibly both.

If you must move the car, tow or push. Do NOT run this engine.

2 minutes would likely be safe. 5 would definitely be pushing your
luck.