Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:39:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz

I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

I think 15-20 seconds would be max.

Greg

Depends on the car and engine - what thermal mass does it have? Some
engines will run at low power for HOURS with no coolant. Others are
scrap in 5 minutes. The important thing is how long it takes to get
the critical parts of the engine heated up to the critical
temperature. If you are not stupid enough to pour cold water into it,
most engines can stand 300 degrees F without damaging the valves,
rings, cyls, bearings, block, heads or gaskets under light load.

HOWEVER - I would at least block the hoses and fill it with water, and
better yet short circuit the rad hoses. The water in the block will
take more than 5 minutes to heat to the point the thermostat would
open.