Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On Jan 27, 3:37*pm, Doug wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:45:45 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

wrote in news:a949g8p7fatqaffk23cq48p5vnfoqn6q7v@
4ax.com:

*2 minutes would likely be safe. 5 would definitely be pushing your
luck.

Even 30-seconds is not safe if there is no coolant in the head. The rad
being missing is NOT the same as simply having low coolant-level in a
complete system.

Combustion temperatures are around 1,500-2,000 degrees F. That heat builds
in seconds if it can't be carried away; without coolant, the surrounding
metal will overheat /very/ quickly, creating the strong probability of the
head warping, which will cause head-gasket failure and poor valve sealing.

I don't know but my hunch is you are correct. *That said since this
newsgroup seems indecisive about exact amount of time (understandable
IMO), I think he is well advised not to take a chance because I
think?? he has more to lose than to gain. *Of course ultimately he
will make that decision. *- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure all the deep knowledge you've demonstrated
about the actual topic will be of great comfort to him on
his 5 minute journey.