Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On 1/27/2013 12:44 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:36:47 -0600,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:29:49 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:20:39 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:02:56 -0600,
wrote:

I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

I wouldn't do it. Might have no use for the repaired radiator.
Leave it, or find another way to move it.
I would not run it f minutes. But you can easily make a "short
circuit pipe" to fit between the rad hoses, fill it with coolant, move
it and drain it.

Now that is a great idea.
I probably have a pipe for that too.
Sometimes posting on here is well worth it.

Thanks!

A bit of PVC and a pair of elbows works fine. Don't even need to glue
it together - just a wrap of tape to hold it together. Put the pipe in
the lower hose, fill from top of pipe, pop the top hose on, and start
it up.

That said -

My daughter's '82 Colt 200 blew the rad one cold and nasty night about
10 miles from home. I went out with 2 gallons of water and tried to
fill the rad. Water ran out as fast as I could pour it in. I gave my
daughter the keys to my car and told her to follow me. I started the
colt, took it up to 100kph and shut it off, letting it coast. When it
got down to about 30 or 40 I turned on the ignition, popped the
clutch, and took it up to 100 again, then coasted it down. Took 3 or 4
cycles to get it home to my driveway - where we put in a new rad the
next day. No harm done to the engine

I remember Cadillac advertizing from some time back that their engine
control system would allow the vehicle to run in limp home mode without
coolant in the engine's cooling system. Of course I recall top fuel
dragsters run without a cooling system at all but they rebuild the
engine after every run or two. ^_^

TDD