Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:13:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

This time of year, it should be OK. Watch the dash gages in case it warms
up, or the temp light comes on. If that happens, shut off the engine, lift
the hood till it cools down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take
several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to
move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5
minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine
without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl
engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount
of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.

Without coolant the guage will in all likelihood never go up - or the
light come on. Bothe measure COOLANT temperature, not engine
temperature. No coolant, no indication.