Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawnmower cylindrical air-filter *really* dirty -- but Sears has none. Clean it?

I've got this old Sears lawnmower. Problem is that the air-filter
is really filthy. REALLY filthy.

Went over to Sears yesterday -- lots of filters, mostly oblong
cross-section, or if cylindrical, too short and too fat.

Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. And it's a pain to drive over
there, especially in this heat and traffic (don't use A/C --
my glasses fog-up for maybe 10 minutes once I get out of the car!
no, cleaning them doesn't help -- they got too cold.)

Anyway, maybe I can clean the existing filter *somewhat* -- just
enough to make a difference. And order the filter by mail -- except
Sears parts woman (phone) can't find my model. Maybe I should take
a picture of with a ruler and email it to them?

So for at least a week or two, gotta cut the grass, so will try
to clean the one I have a bit.

First idea is to get my leaf blower and starting at low power and
at a distance, see what that does, blowing into the inside of
the thing, just the opposite of the normal flow of air (and dirt).

Here's my question: is there something I can spray on it first that
might loosen up the dirt?

Or maybe soak it in, then wait til super-dry, and try the leaf-blower
then (gently, builting up)?

Oh, and no, HD has only the oblong cross-section type, which won't
fit.

----

Oh, where's the serial number of the lawn mower?

I searched around and found a small metal plate on which were
stamped two things:

247-384260

E291L1 (ie eee 29-ONE uppercase ell, and another digit ONE.)

No notation naming those two things, just the naked number-things.

She said that the 247-starting-thing was the model number.

Had no idea what the E-thing was.

Insisted that I find the SERIAL NUMBER.

Question: any idea where it might be?

THANKS!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

mineral spirts should clean it pretty good. Soak it for a few hours, rinse
with water, and then redip in mineral spirts for another fresh soaking.
Then rinse good with water and let dry.

James

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote
Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. And it's a pain to drive over
there, especially in this heat and traffic (don't use A/C --
my glasses fog-up for maybe 10 minutes once I get out of the car!
no, cleaning them doesn't help -- they got too cold.)

I've been wearing glasses for 58 years and driving air conditioned cars for
over 40 years. Never had my glasses fog up from the AC making them too
cold. If they did, I'd wear a second pair rather than drive in the heat. I
cannot image what is causing yours to fog. Maybe you ned a different lens
material. Are they glass or polycarbonate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-09, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

If they're out of stock, they know the part number...have them order it and ship
it to you free for the inconvenience

Yep. Go to their website and look for parts. I jes bought a part for
a Sears vacuum cleaner that's almost 30 yrs old. Get on the phone, if
need be. If you have a part number, their parts support is hard to
beat. Shipped right to my door.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2011 8:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"David Combs" wrote
Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. And it's a pain to drive over
there, especially in this heat and traffic (don't use A/C --
my glasses fog-up for maybe 10 minutes once I get out of the car!
no, cleaning them doesn't help -- they got too cold.)

I've been wearing glasses for 58 years and driving air conditioned cars
for over 40 years. Never had my glasses fog up from the AC making them
too cold. If they did, I'd wear a second pair rather than drive in the
heat. I cannot image what is causing yours to fog. Maybe you ned a
different lens material. Are they glass or polycarbonate?

Flimsy excuse anyway. OTOH, I've got three pairs of glasses in the car
- one prescription sun glasses for driving, one matching regular
prescription and one old pair of prescription safety glasses.

As for op's original question, I used to clean off old sponge air
filters with gasoline, dry and lightly oil. I've been washing the cabin
air filters in my Subaru's with soap and water as dealer wants over $50
for a new filter.

As for part shopping, nothing beats the internet. You can even check
local store inventories in some cases. I just had a great experience
with Moen where I could not find a replacement part on line, emailed
Moen with problem and they called me up and I was able to order part
while on the phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/09/2011 08:35 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

flimsy? happens to me every morning on the way to work. fortunately
they clear up after going into the (air conditioned) office. Coming
from an A/C'd car into 90+ degree, 90+ RH air can't help but fog them
up. and the A/C in my car kinda sucks, so it's still even warmer than
comfortable inside.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/9/2011 12:46 AM, David Combs wrote:
I've got this old Sears lawnmower. Problem is that the air-filter
is really filthy. REALLY filthy.

Went over to Sears yesterday -- lots of filters, mostly oblong
cross-section, or if cylindrical, too short and too fat.

Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. ...

Anyway, maybe I can clean the existing filter *somewhat*...

Dry paper or foam? Makes all the difference in what/how...

Assuming dry paper, just tap it on a hard surface (relatively gently) to
remove loose stuff then use compressed air from the inside out (only)
and it'll be "good enough". Don't get it wet, it'll turn the dust to
mud and plug it for good.

If it's a B&S or other name engine, I'd bet any small engine repair shop
locally will have the filter. If it's really, really old (like 30+ yr),
Tecumseh used round cartridge filters in a lot of theirs altho only have
experience directly w/ 8+ hp which no clue whether you're talking a
pusher or small rider or what. JD green used the Tecumseh's and they
have them locally at least in stock for the ones I need for the 112
small garden tractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

James wrote:
mineral spirts should clean it pretty good. Soak it for a few hours,
rinse with water, and then redip in mineral spirts for another fresh
soaking. Then rinse good with water and let dry.

Um, mineral spirits and water won't mix. I'd suggest alcohol.

If you're going to start with water, add a little fabric softener first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/9/2011 7:45 AM, bud-- wrote:

Someone once posted
http://vintagemachinery.org/Craftsma...rs.aspx?sort=1
It gives the manufacturer from the first three digits - in this case
MTD. You may be able to get the filter from MTD or a MTD dealer. Google
has MTD sources.

OK, my guess on Tecumseh for ancient was off...

What engine did MTD use would be the question...does the list give it?
It should be available from any decent small engine service outfit in
any locality of any size one would think...

But, if the mower will even run, simply tapping and removing some of the
dirt is probably all that's needed for the immediate moment; the user
manuals and stickers all say only that air cleaner needs
cleaning/changing "when power drops". By that time, it visually is
generally going to be essentially to point can't find it, what more
think it's "dirty"...

#1 - Tell the twit on the 'phone that the lawnmower was stolen and you
bought it from the thief. While it was in his possession, he obliterated the
serial number, so you can't really help with that.

#2 - Does the mower work WITH the existing filter in place? If so, you're
good to go while you wait for the mail to deliver a new one. Failing that,
does the mower work WITHOUT an air-filter? If so, you should be able to
fashion a temporary substitute (a handkerchief, coffee filter, etc.). Be
sure to strap the replacement down - small engines super-suck. You wouldn't
want a doily stuffed in the engine's cylinder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote
It gives the manufacturer from the first three digits - in this case
MTD. You may be able to get the filter from MTD or a MTD dealer. Google
has MTD sources.

OK, my guess on Tecumseh for ancient was off...

What engine did MTD use would be the question...does the list give it? It
should be available from any decent small engine service outfit in any
locality of any size one would think...

Put the engine model number in Google and it may come up. I did that with a
B & S to find parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

#3 - Snow blowers don't use air filters. Remove the air filter and mow
the grass when there is snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
I've got this old Sears lawnmower. Problem is that the air-filter
is really filthy. REALLY filthy.

Went over to Sears yesterday -- lots of filters, mostly oblong
cross-section, or if cylindrical, too short and too fat.

Any decent mower repair shop should have the filter. Just take yours in and show
it to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Jul 2011 01:46:05 -0400, David Combs wrote:

[...]

Try automotive stores or farm supply store. How about a small engine repair
shop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

Let's see, google lawnmower air filters, tap, 1.31 million websites
come up, this one looks OK,
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...r-filters.aspx
tap, this looks like it, tap,
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...er-631005.aspx
You can handle it from here......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 08:15:17 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"David Combs" wrote
Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. And it's a pain to drive over
there, especially in this heat and traffic (don't use A/C --
my glasses fog-up for maybe 10 minutes once I get out of the car!
no, cleaning them doesn't help -- they got too cold.)

I've been wearing glasses for 58 years and driving air conditioned cars for
over 40 years. Never had my glasses fog up from the AC making them too
cold. If they did, I'd wear a second pair rather than drive in the heat. I
cannot image what is causing yours to fog. Maybe you ned a different lens
material. Are they glass or polycarbonate?

When I first get in the car, mine can fog for a few seconds when the blower
first comes on (generally when the windows have been closed). It reminds me
to take them off. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Assuming dry paper, just tap it on a hard surface (relatively gently) to
remove loose stuff then use compressed air from the inside out (only) and
it'll be "good enough". Don't get it wet, it'll turn the dust to mud and
plug it for good.

Compressed air can drive particles of dirt thru the filter leaving holes in
the filter for dirt to enter the engine. I tap mine gently to knock off the
loose stuff. Then I wash with soap and water. I repeat this several times
before buying a new filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 8:46*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
flimsy? *happens to me every morning on the way to work. *fortunately
they clear up after going into the (air conditioned) office. *Coming
from an A/C'd car into 90+ degree, 90+ RH air can't help but fog them
up. *and the A/C in my car kinda sucks, so it's still even warmer than
comfortable inside.

I live in Miami and have very thick glasses, so this happens to me a
lot. Usually, taking off the glasses and waving them for a maybe 10
seconds warms them up enough to solve the problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/9/2011 1:48 PM, Pat wrote:

Compressed air can drive particles of dirt thru the filter leaving holes in
the filter for dirt to enter the engine. I tap mine gently to knock off the
loose stuff. Then I wash with soap and water. I repeat this several times
before buying a new filter.

Not if blowing them from inside...then you're blowing the collected
stuff from off the outer surface and it can't/won't go thru cuz' it
going in opposite direction--leaving the surface not being forced
through the media.

I've had no luck whatsoever w/ one once it's been wet...and, ya' don't
blow w/ extremely high air pressure. All that's done is turn the former
dust into a cake that then won't come off easily or at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 06:40:14 -0400, "James"
wrote:

mineral spirts should clean it pretty good. Soak it for a few hours, rinse
with water, and then redip in mineral spirts for another fresh soaking.
Then rinse good with water and let dry.

James

Paper or foam filter???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mineral spirts should clean it pretty good. Soak it for a few hours, rinse
with water, and then redip in mineral spirts for another fresh soaking.
Then rinse good with water and let dry.

James

Paper or foam filter???

Paper, folded like the edge of an accordion.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"David Combs" wrote
Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. And it's a pain to drive over
there, especially in this heat and traffic (don't use A/C --
my glasses fog-up for maybe 10 minutes once I get out of the car!
no, cleaning them doesn't help -- they got too cold.)

I've been wearing glasses for 58 years and driving air conditioned cars for
over 40 years. Never had my glasses fog up from the AC making them too
cold. If they did, I'd wear a second pair rather than drive in the heat. I
cannot image what is causing yours to fog. Maybe you ned a different lens
material. Are they glass or polycarbonate?

Not glass. (They don't make glass bifocals anymore -- really ****es me off!)
So polycarbonate, I guess, but don't know for sure. "plastic", I call it.

Fogging-up occurs when I get OUT of the cold, low-humidity car, into the
hot humid summer air.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all!

Called Sears again an hour or so ago. This time I got
someone REALLY REALLY GOOD!

At first he said there was a Sears Parts-dept only 12 miles away,
in someplace called "college point". Never heard of it. Google maps
"Sears college point" found it for me.

Twelve miles as the crow flies. Not so bad if you're a crow.

A little different in a car. I live in New Rochelle, in
Westchester. College Park is in Queens, across a tiny inlet
from La Guardia.

That means the Whitestone Bridge with its ever-rising tolls,
then getting lost in Queens. Total time probably three hours,
at least two, and mucho traffic besides.

So I just gave him my credit card number, and they'll be here
in what, a week or so?

(Because the price was only $4.00, the shipping twice that,
I ordered three of them. At 20 or 25 years for the current
one, I think they'll last long beyond my need for them!)

I'll read over all the suggestions, both for soaking and not
soaking, and decide what to do for the interim.

THANKS!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

Does it run with the filter? Any different from without the filter? If no
different, just continue to use it with the old one until you get the new one,
or until it no longer works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/10/2011 6:00 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The *soakers* were assuming you had a foam filter. Don't ever put
anything wet on a paper filter.

I'm not so sure of that...the guy that jumped me on blowing _out_ (from
inside out, not vice versa) surely had to be aware it was paper and he
claims he washes one w/ soap and water multiple times...

On the second point, I'm in full agreement there; the only times I've
ever had one wet it has been certain it had to be replaced then instead
of later. The old oil bath style (while never seen on a small
single-cylinder B&S-type engine did have some advantage of not needing
any replacement cartridge). Even if washing were good, I don't have the
patience to let one dry and I'd definitely be nervous about using it
damp altho I suppose not enough extra water would be brought in to
matter; it would be like an extremely humid day it just doesn't have
that "feel right" feel to it...

For OP, well, you can't use this as an excuse to not mow any longer now,
can you... I know it sounds good "Hey, dear, I really _DO_ want to
get that mowed but the machine needs a new air cleaner and doggone SEARS
just doesn't have them..." vbg

From the gitgo, of course, if there was sufficient air getting into the
intake thru the filter than the engine ran w/o noticeable loss of power,
you were good to go from the beginning, anyway...as others noted as well
as I had...

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That shows great wisdom. Thank you for sharing. Glad it
worked out. Or, will work out when the package arrives.

[Honey! The package for you???? Yes, dear. Now, let me find
my scissors and open it. Lets see. Open the box. And, uh,
that looks more like a faucet valve seat. Hey, honey, did
you order three valve seats from Sears?!?!?!]

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus