Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears Craftsman Lawnmower Breaks on Third Use

I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower (the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could cause
this kind of damage.

South Carolina mom

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower (the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could cause
this kind of damage.

Is it a LAWN mower or a ROOT mower?

Remember... you get what you pay for! (or better phrased... You don't get
what you didn't pay for.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower (the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could cause
this kind of damage.

South Carolina mom

Call them. All you have to lose is the time even if later you have to buy
parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

just take it back and start crying. Say it was just running along and BAM!
then it stopped. ANd you don't know what to dooooooo .... wahhhhhh
waaahhhhh..

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower (the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could cause
this kind of damage.

South Carolina mom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Aug 3, 8:36?pm, wrote:
I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower (the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could cause
this kind of damage.

South Carolina mom

Son is a teenager? I'm glad it was root and plastic casing, not foot
and plastic surgeon. Kind of like driving, it just takes continuous
attention, which young people are not wired for IMHO. I'd bet Sears
will make you whole, one way or another- perhaps store credit toward
a better mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sev" wrote:
Son is a teenager? I'm glad it was root and plastic casing, not foot
and plastic surgeon. Kind of like driving, it just takes continuous
attention, which young people are not wired for IMHO.

I started mowing when I was 11, and unsupervised at that, just like all the
other kids in the neighborhood. Of course, this was back when teachers
would spank misbehaving students in the front of the class, and you didn't
get the police knocking on your door giving you a ticket for catching your
kid riding his bicycle without a helmet.

I feel bad for the youth of today, they don't have a choice but to turn into
chumps.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:48:11 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote Re Sears Craftsman

"Sev" wrote:
Son is a teenager? I'm glad it was root and plastic casing, not foot
and plastic surgeon. Kind of like driving, it just takes continuous
attention, which young people are not wired for IMHO.

I started mowing when I was 11, and unsupervised at that, just like all the
other kids in the neighborhood. Of course, this was back when teachers
would spank misbehaving students in the front of the class, and you didn't
get the police knocking on your door giving you a ticket for catching your
kid riding his bicycle without a helmet.

I feel bad for the youth of today, they don't have a choice but to turn into
chumps.

Really.

No wonder the Muslims are kicking our ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bent cranks from hitting stumps isnt under warranty. its your sons fault
for hitting the root.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it would help everyone if you would tell how large the
root was. If this is Cypress knee or a Silver Maple surface root
would be quite different than a piece of roof the size of a pencil
from planting a flower bed.

You can always take the unit to Sears to see what they say.
Driving a car into a telephone pole is not a warranty item.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower
(the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the
blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and
stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It
seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could
cause
this kind of damage.

South Carolina mom

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bring it back with receipt. Most of the dimwits who work retail today
will issue credit or echange-- Get a gas mower!!!!!

On Aug 4, 8:46 am, "DanG" wrote:
I think it would help everyone if you would tell how large the
root was. If this is Cypress knee or a Silver Maple surface root
would be quite different than a piece of roof the size of a pencil
from planting a flower bed.

You can always take the unit to Sears to see what they say.
Driving a car into a telephone pole is not a warranty item.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message

oups.com...

I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower
(the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the
blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and
stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It
seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could
cause
this kind of damage.

South Carolina mom- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

electric lawnmowers (LMAO!!) don't have crankshafts.

wrote in message
bent cranks from hitting stumps isnt under warranty. its your sons fault
for hitting the root.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
ELECTRIC lawn mower!!1 LMMFAO!!!.

steve

Yea...
Me too
*snikker*

--
Kate
______

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boy Jon, you must be my age.
I made all of my money every summer mowing lawnd. Never tore up a mower.

I remember those paddles. Never got whacked, they scared the ornery out of
me!

--
Kate
______

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Sev" wrote:
Son is a teenager? I'm glad it was root and plastic casing, not foot
and plastic surgeon. Kind of like driving, it just takes continuous
attention, which young people are not wired for IMHO.

I started mowing when I was 11, and unsupervised at that, just like all the
other kids in the neighborhood. Of course, this was back when teachers
would spank misbehaving students in the front of the class, and you didn't
get the police knocking on your door giving you a ticket for catching your
kid riding his bicycle without a helmet.

I feel bad for the youth of today, they don't have a choice but to turn into
chumps.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote
Give son credit for being creatively incompetent. Mine did that when I
made them cut the grass. Also Sears stuff may do the function it is
designed for but products are generally bottom line.
Frank

Frank has a point here.
Maybe he figures if he does it wrong often enough, you'll stop making him do
it.
My husband tries that now and then.... but I'm finally on to him.

--
Kate
______

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
ELECTRIC lawn mower!!1 LMMFAO!!!.

steve

Yea...
Me too
*snikker*

Now, now. For some people and some lawns, they make a lot of sense.
Pre-1960s, 40 or 50 foot wide, 100 foot deep urban lots with lots of
plantings barely have any actual lawn, anyway. If lawn is flat, and less
than 1/4 acre, the care and feeding of a gas mower may be overkill. On my
semi-rural lumpy hilly 2/3 acre, where buying a tractor is tempting but not
justified, an electric would die in a month. But if you only have a little
square out front, a stripe down each side of house, and most of backyard is
taken up with alley driveway and seperate garage, it'd probably work fine.

aem sends.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
ELECTRIC lawn mower!!1 LMMFAO!!!.

steve

Yea...
Me too
*snikker*

Now, now. For some people and some lawns, they make a lot of sense.
Pre-1960s, 40 or 50 foot wide, 100 foot deep urban lots with lots of
plantings barely have any actual lawn, anyway. If lawn is flat, and less
than 1/4 acre, the care and feeding of a gas mower may be overkill. On my
semi-rural lumpy hilly 2/3 acre, where buying a tractor is tempting but not
justified, an electric would die in a month. But if you only have a little
square out front, a stripe down each side of house, and most of backyard is
taken up with alley driveway and seperate garage, it'd probably work fine.

aem sends.....

Out here we're mowing 6-7 acres of just grass, not to mention all of the
bush-hogging we have to do.
We use a 48" Huski rider - wish it was a Zero turn! and a Kubota tractor...
When we had postage stamp lawns, and I DO mean postage stamp.. we still had
a small gas mower.

Kate

--
Kate
______

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
"Kate" wrote...
"Steve Barker" wrote...
ELECTRIC lawn mower!!1 LMMFAO!!!.

steve

Yea...
Me too
*snikker*

Now, now. For some people and some lawns, they make a lot of sense.

Why did the aggie use an electric lawn mower?
So he could find his way back home by following the cord.

--
somebody had to say it

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 05:30:38 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

We use a 48" Huski rider - wish it was a Zero turn! and a Kubota tractor...

Zero turn. Here in Montana, if the mower can make a turn in two
miles, that's plenty.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"Sev" wrote:
Son is a teenager? I'm glad it was root and plastic casing, not foot
and plastic surgeon. Kind of like driving, it just takes continuous
attention, which young people are not wired for IMHO.

I started mowing when I was 11, and unsupervised at that, just like all the

Me, too.

other kids in the neighborhood. Of course, this was back when teachers
would spank misbehaving students in the front of the class, and you didn't

I'm 60 and the teachers would never have done that. Nor would my
parents.

get the police knocking on your door giving you a ticket for catching your
kid riding his bicycle without a helmet.

I agree with you here.

I feel bad for the youth of today, they don't have a choice but to turn into
chumps.

Really.

No wonder the Muslims are kicking our ass.

Hey, they don't know how to mow lawns either. All they have is
sand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a Sears Craftsman 19" Electric Lawnmower (the
type with a cord). On its third use (my son was mowing), the blade
hit a root and tore into the plastic housing, stuck there and stopped.

Is this type of disaster eligible for warranty repair? It seems
pretty poor design if a small irregularity like a root could cause
this kind of damage.

South Carolina mom

I would say yes. I did the same with a sears craftsman gas mower and hit a
big rock head-on and pushed part of the housing into the blade and it locked
up solid. Sears fixed it free of charge. But it was in the shop for a week.
They even washed the unit and cleaned the filter etc..

Lesley