Suzie-Q

Default Dirty Gas for Lawnmower

As I was refilling the gas can with gas for my lawnmower I noticed
specks of dirt (or something) in the bottom of the gas can. I probably
should have gotten a new gas can, but didn't think of it at that
moment.

I'm thinking that pouring the gas through some sort of filter into a
new can would help. But what can I use as a filter? Would panty hose
work? Or should I just play it safe and use a piece of metal screen?
I'd like to filter as much as possible, of course, so the finer panty
hose would be my first choice.

Thanks for your help.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Pop

Suzie-Q wrote:

As I was refilling the gas can with gas for my lawnmower I noticed
specks of dirt (or something) in the bottom of the gas can. I probably
should have gotten a new gas can, but didn't think of it at that
moment.

I'm thinking that pouring the gas through some sort of filter into a
new can would help. But what can I use as a filter? Would panty hose
work? Or should I just play it safe and use a piece of metal screen?
I'd like to filter as much as possible, of course, so the finer panty
hose would be my first choice.

Thanks for your help.

Panty hose, even regular hosiery will work fine. I keep a cover
of it over my funnel and use the funnel for fueling; works great,
and if foreign material shows up in the can, it's noticeable.
Toe pieces make the best funnel cover. Be sure to allow it to
sink in the middle of the funnel so gas has a "low" place to
collect in as it goes thru it; less spillage that way. That also
keeps foreign dirt from getting into the funnel during storage.

The gas can: Get it used up and empty, then take it outside and
completely empty it of the last few drops. Add about a pint of
kerosene, slosh well, dump quickly. REpeat as necessary until the
dirt inside is washed out. No need to buy another can if that one
is in good condition.
Gas/kero will kill grass etc: be careful. And don't let
anyone SMOKE nearby while you're doing it! Do NOT use gas to
clean the can! Kero or clean fuel oil only.
Metal screen: If you go that route, you should get copper or
something that wont' rust or react to gasoline. It'll last longer
but a nylon usually lasts a good three months for me, then I make
a new filter. Nylons have a smaller mesh though. Either, BTW,
will also catch water in the gas as you pour. A gas can should be
rinesed out each season.

Cheers,

Pop
Albert Thrower

"Suzie-Q" wrote

Would panty hose
work?

Yes, but don't try this while still wearing them.

Andy Hill

Suzie-Q wrote:
As I was refilling the gas can with gas for my lawnmower I noticed
specks of dirt (or something) in the bottom of the gas can. I probably
should have gotten a new gas can, but didn't think of it at that
moment.

I'm thinking that pouring the gas through some sort of filter into a
new can would help. But what can I use as a filter? Would panty hose
work? Or should I just play it safe and use a piece of metal screen?
I'd like to filter as much as possible, of course, so the finer panty
hose would be my first choice.

Thanks for your help.

A chamois cloth will do the best job, but pantyhose or cheesecloth will be
better than nothing.

How about a coffee filter in a funnel?

toller

A gas can should be rinesed out each season.

I haven't rinsed mine since I bought it 17 years ago. No problems so far!