Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default lawnmower cylindrical air-filter *really* dirty -- but Searshas none. Clean it?

On 7/9/2011 12:46 AM, David Combs wrote:
I've got this old Sears lawnmower. Problem is that the air-filter
is really filthy. REALLY filthy.

Went over to Sears yesterday -- lots of filters, mostly oblong
cross-section, or if cylindrical, too short and too fat.

Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. ...

Anyway, maybe I can clean the existing filter *somewhat*...

Dry paper or foam? Makes all the difference in what/how...

Assuming dry paper, just tap it on a hard surface (relatively gently) to
remove loose stuff then use compressed air from the inside out (only)
and it'll be "good enough". Don't get it wet, it'll turn the dust to
mud and plug it for good.

If it's a B&S or other name engine, I'd bet any small engine repair shop
locally will have the filter. If it's really, really old (like 30+ yr),
Tecumseh used round cartridge filters in a lot of theirs altho only have
experience directly w/ 8+ hp which no clue whether you're talking a
pusher or small rider or what. JD green used the Tecumseh's and they
have them locally at least in stock for the ones I need for the 112
small garden tractor.