Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default lawnmower cylindrical air-filter *really* dirty -- but Searshas none. Clean it?

On 7/9/2011 8:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"David Combs" wrote
Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. And it's a pain to drive over
there, especially in this heat and traffic (don't use A/C --
my glasses fog-up for maybe 10 minutes once I get out of the car!
no, cleaning them doesn't help -- they got too cold.)

I've been wearing glasses for 58 years and driving air conditioned cars
for over 40 years. Never had my glasses fog up from the AC making them
too cold. If they did, I'd wear a second pair rather than drive in the
heat. I cannot image what is causing yours to fog. Maybe you ned a
different lens material. Are they glass or polycarbonate?

Flimsy excuse anyway. OTOH, I've got three pairs of glasses in the car
- one prescription sun glasses for driving, one matching regular
prescription and one old pair of prescription safety glasses.

As for op's original question, I used to clean off old sponge air
filters with gasoline, dry and lightly oil. I've been washing the cabin
air filters in my Subaru's with soap and water as dealer wants over $50
for a new filter.

As for part shopping, nothing beats the internet. You can even check
local store inventories in some cases. I just had a great experience
with Moen where I could not find a replacement part on line, emailed
Moen with problem and they called me up and I was able to order part
while on the phone.