Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawnmower cylindrical air-filter *really* dirty -- but Sears has none. Clean it?

I've got this old Sears lawnmower. Problem is that the air-filter
is really filthy. REALLY filthy.

Went over to Sears yesterday -- lots of filters, mostly oblong
cross-section, or if cylindrical, too short and too fat.

Yes, they know about mine, Sears does *carry* them, but right now
they're (the store) out of stock. And it's a pain to drive over
there, especially in this heat and traffic (don't use A/C --
my glasses fog-up for maybe 10 minutes once I get out of the car!
no, cleaning them doesn't help -- they got too cold.)

Anyway, maybe I can clean the existing filter *somewhat* -- just
enough to make a difference. And order the filter by mail -- except
Sears parts woman (phone) can't find my model. Maybe I should take
a picture of with a ruler and email it to them?

So for at least a week or two, gotta cut the grass, so will try
to clean the one I have a bit.

First idea is to get my leaf blower and starting at low power and
at a distance, see what that does, blowing into the inside of
the thing, just the opposite of the normal flow of air (and dirt).

Here's my question: is there something I can spray on it first that
might loosen up the dirt?

Or maybe soak it in, then wait til super-dry, and try the leaf-blower
then (gently, builting up)?

Oh, and no, HD has only the oblong cross-section type, which won't
fit.

----

Oh, where's the serial number of the lawn mower?

I searched around and found a small metal plate on which were
stamped two things:

247-384260

E291L1 (ie eee 29-ONE uppercase ell, and another digit ONE.)

No notation naming those two things, just the naked number-things.

She said that the 247-starting-thing was the model number.

Had no idea what the E-thing was.

Insisted that I find the SERIAL NUMBER.

Question: any idea where it might be?

THANKS!