Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

OT Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach
front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the
same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. (Most of
those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Maybe she had never rode in the backseat of a convertible before and
didn't think it was a problem. If that is the case, she learned
something didn't she?

Or, she is a controlling bitch that figured you would obey her
demands.

She is 30 y.o. and single, she obviously has issues.

Since there were others in the car, I would've taken a vote to see
what the others wanted.

What did you do?

Hank ~~~~~ believes in a democracy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:55 am, mm wrote:
[...]

Andy comments:
If you didn't want to do it, then you could have just said " The
mechanism
is broken and it won't go up. Would you like for me to drop you off
somewhere ?"

Lying is a good way to dismiss someone's request without saying
anything overt to cause a disagreement. Politicians do it all the
time...

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.

Maybe her hair was blowing in her face. Maybe she'd never been in a
convertible before, and didn't realize the backwash you get when riding in
one with the top down.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:

I said, "Sure. *I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

This is a basic lack of communication or different logic
interpretation. "Sure. I drive a convertible." can be interpreted as
"Let's do it in the back-seat" (or I'm trying to impress you).
If you would have said, "I drive with the top-down and you may not
find it pleasant in the back-seat" it may have been clearer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

It's special to know that when you extend a courtesy to someone you
only extend it so far.

The world would probably have stopped revolving if you had put up the
top, life would have lost meaning, and you would have become a bitter
old man. You dodged a bullet there, Sparky.

BTW, actions like that are a reason why you're going to singles
events.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

I take it that you have a car where the top goes down. I also take it that
on a nice day, you will have the top down. I've owned a couple of
convertibles and the top was down if the temperature was above 60 and it was
not raining.

These days, I'm far more likely to have the AC on and windows closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2011 3:55 AM, mm wrote:
OT Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach
front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the
same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. (Most of
those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

As words of someone trying to make points?

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

Which would be meaningless to someone who never rode in one and never
experienced a ride in turbulent wind tunnel. I owned one convertible in
my life and wouldn't buy another.

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Beggars can't be choosers.

And... Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency
on my part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

"I'll put my top up if you take yours down"(?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Maybe if you had put your top up, she would have let her top down.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jun 25, 1:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

==
What this has to do with "home repair" has yet to be explained but I
don't expect an acceptable answer.

My opinion of the situation is: The passenger didn't like the
turbulence of the wind so unless you HAD to have the top down for some
vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate
for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and
continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science.
Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with
the top up didn't kill you...grow up.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote the following:
mm wrote in
:

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.

Maybe her hair was blowing in her face. Maybe she'd never been in a
convertible before, and didn't realize the backwash you get when riding in
one with the top down.

Of the two convertibles I owned back in the late '50s ('56 and '57
Fords), I found that in order to prevent back seat passenger's hair from
blowing in their face, you had to do 70 MPH so that the air stream off
the windshield fell behind the rear seat. If no rear passengers, 50 MPH
was enough to keep front seat driver and passenger's hair from blowing
in their face.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I
own the car and I want it down.
Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate
for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and
continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science.
Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with
the top up didn't kill you...grow up.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Why in the hell did you go to a singles event then?

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote in news:a27be3db-a19d-4824-92c8-
:

On Jun 25, 1:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

The acceptable answer as far as I'm concerned, whether you accept it or
not, is the first two letters in the subject.

My opinion of the situation is: The passenger didn't like the
turbulence of the wind so unless you HAD to have the top down for some
vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate
for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and
continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science.
Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with
the top up didn't kill you...grow up.
=

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

OT Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach
front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the
same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. (Most of
those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

"The top is down so complainers can exit at will. I highly recommend
waiting until we're stopped at an intersection though."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Tell me, Grasshoppah. What did you learn from this experience?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I
own the car and I want it down.
Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

A perfectly good reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:

I said, "Sure. *I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

This is a basic lack of communication or different logic
interpretation. "Sure. I drive a convertible." can be interpreted as
"Let's do it in the back-seat" (or I'm trying to impress you).

LOL. Definitely wasn't trying to impress her, only to warn her. It
never occurred to me until you said it that she might have thought
that. I meant it as a synonym for top being down, but maybe she
didnt' take it that way.

If you would have said, "I drive with the top-down and you may not
find it pleasant in the back-seat" it may have been clearer.

For sure. I regret that I didn't say that, but I'm trying to figure
out how unclear I was.

I wish I had also said, "I'm glad to have your company, but if you
don't want the top down, you also have two days to find a ride that's
not a convertible." See again, it comes out with no specific
reference to the top being down. I guess to be sure I would have had
to say, "to find a ride with someone who won't put the top down."

I appreciate your answering the question. It's the only question I
asked and the only one I gave full background for. There's a lot I
left out that's needed to answer any other question.

And I'll add this for the other postsrs, that the reason I was willing
to use my car on the trip instead of my male friend's, do all the
driving, and pay for all the gas was that no matter what the rest of
the trip is like, I know I'll enjoy the drive each way. My friend
knew the top would be down, but I don't remember how I said it. Maybe
he brought it up first, wanted me to take my car with the top down.
Yes, I think he suggested it.

She had sunglasses, and I offered her one of those cloth-covered
rubber bands uses for pony-tails, which I keep in the car specifcally
for those with long hair. I also carry spare sunglasses. And I think
convertibles are famous for being windy, and most people think they
are more windy than they really are. She may have said something
about the sun on her skin, but it was 4PM and getting later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:59:58 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Tegger wrote the following:
mm wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, it's really not that windy back there. It surprised me when I
found out, riding in the back seat myself. The windshield shields all
the seats from most of the wind. I thought it was like riding a
horse, because without the steering wheel to hold on to all I had was
the seat.

Another indication is the rain. At highway speeds the rear seats
don't get wet. not even the backs of the rear seats. There is some
breeze, and if a light-weight piece of paper gets caught in it, it
will blow but not very fast, from the front seat to the back, then
down and back towards the front seat again, and around in circles.

In the glove compartment, I kept a couple of the cloth covered rubber
bands just so a woman could tie her hair up. I offered her one and
she didn't want it. I don't think she complained about her hair. She
also didn't say anything about not realizing the top would be down,
either because she thought I should just do what she wanted, or
because she did understand me in the first place when I said
convertible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess is is a "Yo" thread?

I thought it was a bad decision for (presumably male) person
to offer a female a ride from a singles activity. Too much
risk of appearance of evil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
Roy wrote in
:

=What this has to do with "home repair" has yet to be
explained but I
don't expect an acceptable answer.

The acceptable answer as far as I'm concerned, whether you
accept it or
not, is the first two letters in the subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 1:59*pm, willshak wrote:
Tegger wrote the following:

mm wrote in
:

[...]

"Gee, Officer, no - there's no fire. I was doing 70 as a courtesy to
my passengers in the rear."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
OT *Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach
front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the
same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. *(Most of
those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. *I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

Well, after I read that line I assumed the rest of the post was going
to be about how she thought you were trying to impress her, which is
at least as reasonable of an interpretation, especially for anyone
who's never ridden in a convertible with the top down (if you've only
seen it on TV or in the movies, you might think your hair wouldn't
move). Not to mention that this is a singles event where she's had
guys trying to impress her for the last 3 days...

You probably could have spared another 3 seconds to be more clear...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
OT *Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach
front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the
same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. *(Most of
those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. *I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

Well, after I read that line I assumed the rest of the post was going
to be about how she thought you were trying to impress her, which is
at least as reasonable of an interpretation, especially for anyone
who's never ridden in a convertible with the top down (if you've only
seen it on TV or in the movies, you might think your hair wouldn't
move). Not to mention that this is a singles event where she's had
guys trying to impress her for the last 3 days...

If you, and others, thought of that, I guess it might well be what she
thought of. Convertibles are only about 15% more money than other new
cars, iirc, and by the time I buy the car several years old, that's
not a lot of money. So I've never thought of it as a way to impress
anyone**, but my older brother, who had two of them for maybe 8 years
total told me stories of girls who didn't like them, because of their
hair and the wind, so that's what I was trying to call attention to,
and that's what I thought she heard.

My first convertible was a loan, then a gift, from my brother when he
was in the army in Viet Nam. It had ongoing mechanical problems which
the dealer (soon to be out of business) coudln't fix, and so he bought
another new convertible when he got back from Viet Nam, which worked
fine. So I didnt' even pick out the first car and I liked it mostly
because it was only 2 years old, compared to my previous car that was
15 y.o. It took me a whole year to really get hooked on having the
top down. And this is all part of why I don't think of a convertible
as a way to impress anyone. For me it's about the vista and the breeze
and the relaxation. It still suprpises me but even if everything I'm
looking at would be visible through the windows of a hardtop, it looks
so much better with the top down.

You probably could have spared another 3 seconds to be more clear...

I wish I had.

**I don't think of the car as a way to impress people, though whem the
top is down, I've gotten unsolicited compliments, even once by a
65-year old man when I stopped at a yard sale and hadn't said a word
about my car, and the car was 15 years old. With the top down,
Chryslers and some others have a very sleek line that even hard top
sports cars may not have. But the soft top is a pain in the neck.

Thanks and thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

**I don't think of the car as a way to impress people, though whem the
top is down, I've gotten unsolicited compliments, even once by a
65-year old man when I stopped at a yard sale and hadn't said a word
about my car, and the car was 15 years old. With the top down,
Chryslers and some others have a very sleek line that even hard top
sports cars may not have. But the soft top is a pain in the neck.

My first convertible was a '64 Karmann Ghia that I paid $15 for. Took
another $150 to rebuild the engine. Lots of rust, dull paint, etc. One
sunny day I was driving with the top down and my wife, who was wearing a
rather summery outfit was next to me. I pulled up along side a big Mercedes
driven by a guy about 60. He just looked and looked. I bet I could have
swapped places with him and taken his car home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2011 7:37 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"mm" wrote

**I don't think of the car as a way to impress people, though whem the
top is down, I've gotten unsolicited compliments, even once by a
65-year old man when I stopped at a yard sale and hadn't said a word
about my car, and the car was 15 years old. With the top down,
Chryslers and some others have a very sleek line that even hard top
sports cars may not have. But the soft top is a pain in the neck.

My first convertible was a '64 Karmann Ghia that I paid $15 for. Took
another $150 to rebuild the engine. Lots of rust, dull paint, etc. One
sunny day I was driving with the top down and my wife, who was wearing a
rather summery outfit was next to me. I pulled up along side a big
Mercedes driven by a guy about 60. He just looked and looked. I bet I
could have swapped places with him and taken his car home.

Yeah, but you probably would have missed the wife. Doubt it was the KG
he was looking at- they were quite common back then.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I
own the car and I want it down.
Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

One of the first things I learned as a young adult was ALWAYS take YOUR car.
That way if the situation went into a ditch, you had wheels, and were king
of the universe.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:53:17 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

As for melanoma, it's moving up fast as one of the top killer cancers in the
country. As a convertible owner, the OP is far more likely to die of
melanoma than a hardtop driver. As an intransigent convertible owner, that
death is also more likely to occur without a significant other to care. Was

And don't forget rain, another common killer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote
Marriage, like politics, is a
series of compromises.

Not true. In my house, I'm the Supreme Commander and what I say goes. See
below:

Hi,
This is Ed's wife. Yes, we obey him and our goal in life is to make him
happy.
Sincerely,
Ed's wife.

See, I'd not lie about that. She just went back to reading her book now so
don't bother asking her for details.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Robert Green" wrote
Marriage, like politics, is a
series of compromises.

Not true. In my house, I'm the Supreme Commander and what I say goes.
See below:

Hi,
This is Ed's wife. Yes, we obey him and our goal in life is to make
him happy.
Sincerely,
Ed's wife.

See, I'd not lie about that. She just went back to reading her book
now so don't bother asking her for details.

Good one. You made Afina giggle. Or maybe it was the way I read it to my
sweetie.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2011 12:15 PM, Roy wrote:
On Jun 25, 1:55 am, wrote:
[...]

he didn't say anything about putting it up and I wouldn't have either.
If i had a convertible, it would be down or not driven.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:55 am, wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't BUY a convertible if he didn't want the top down. hELLO!!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As for melanoma, it's moving up fast as one of the top killer cancers in the
country. As a convertible owner, the OP is far more likely to die of
melanoma than a hardtop driver. As an intransigent convertible owner, that
death is also more likely to occur without a significant other to care. Was

And don't forget rain, another common killer.

AND POP TARTS

and used motor oil

and eggs

and

and

and

and

It's amazing that mankind was able to make it 6000 years working in the sun.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 07:37:52 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote

**I don't think of the car as a way to impress people, though whem the
top is down, I've gotten unsolicited compliments, even once by a
65-year old man when I stopped at a yard sale and hadn't said a word
about my car, and the car was 15 years old. With the top down,
Chryslers and some others have a very sleek line that even hard top
sports cars may not have. But the soft top is a pain in the neck.

My first convertible was a '64 Karmann Ghia that I paid $15 for. Took

A good price.

another $150 to rebuild the engine. Lots of rust, dull paint, etc. One
sunny day I was driving with the top down and my wife, who was wearing a
rather summery outfit was next to me. I pulled up along side a big Mercedes
driven by a guy about 60. He just looked and looked. I bet I could have
swapped places with him and taken his car home.

Where would your wife fit into this trade?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As for melanoma, it's moving up fast as one of the top killer cancers
in the
country. As a convertible owner, the OP is far more likely to die of
melanoma than a hardtop driver. As an intransigent convertible owner,
that
death is also more likely to occur without a significant other to
care. Was

And don't forget rain, another common killer.

AND POP TARTS

and used motor oil

and eggs

and

and

and

and

It's amazing that mankind was able to make it 6000 years working in the
sun.

1. More than 6000 years. Not sure what the current best estimate is, but
lots higher than that.

2. Until 100 years or so ago, only a small percentage of population made
it past 60. And of the ones that did, few were field workers. Sadly, due
to sloth and bad dietary choices and lack of exercise, we are headed
that direction again. We got a temporary spike from modern medicine and
sanitation and large-scale farming making food cheap, but most people
can't be bothered to even learn how to maintain their own bodies as well
as they do their cars.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote
Marriage, like politics, is a
series of compromises.

Not true. In my house, I'm the Supreme Commander and what I say
goes. See below:

Hi,
This is Ed's wife. Yes, we obey him and our goal in life is to make
him happy.
Sincerely,
Ed's wife.

See, I'd not lie about that. She just went back to reading her book
now so don't bother asking her for details.

You could share decisions.

My ex-wife made all the minor decisions, like where we should live, what
school the kids would attend, and whether I should ask for a raise.

I, on the other hand, made the major decisions: whether Red China should be
admitted to the U.N., whether Nixon should resign, and if the U.S. should
join the International Monetary Fund.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:40:49 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:59*pm, willshak wrote:
Tegger wrote the following:

mm wrote in
:

[...]

70?? If you were just going 70 they'd be scraping you out of the ditch (just
back from a 3000mi vacation). ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:

[...]

Tell her that you're going topless and that if she wants to come along, she
has to go topless too!

[...]

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me any money.
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:55:21 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

That's only fair. You wouldn't want her to make such a big mistake. Besides,
it's for the children.