Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:00:10 -0400, mm wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:

I said, "Sure. *I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

This is a basic lack of communication or different logic
interpretation. "Sure. I drive a convertible." can be interpreted as
"Let's do it in the back-seat" (or I'm trying to impress you).

LOL. Definitely wasn't trying to impress her, only to warn her. It
never occurred to me until you said it that she might have thought
that. I meant it as a synonym for top being down, but maybe she
didnt' take it that way.

If you would have said, "I drive with the top-down and you may not
find it pleasant in the back-seat" it may have been clearer.

For sure. I regret that I didn't say that, but I'm trying to figure
out how unclear I was.

I wish I had also said, "I'm glad to have your company, but if you
don't want the top down, you also have two days to find a ride that's
not a convertible." See again, it comes out with no specific
reference to the top being down. I guess to be sure I would have had
to say, "to find a ride with someone who won't put the top down."

Tell her that you're going topless and that if she wants to come along, she
has to go topless too!

I appreciate your answering the question. It's the only question I
asked and the only one I gave full background for. There's a lot I
left out that's needed to answer any other question.

And I'll add this for the other postsrs, that the reason I was willing
to use my car on the trip instead of my male friend's, do all the
driving, and pay for all the gas was that no matter what the rest of
the trip is like, I know I'll enjoy the drive each way. My friend
knew the top would be down, but I don't remember how I said it. Maybe
he brought it up first, wanted me to take my car with the top down.
Yes, I think he suggested it.

She had sunglasses, and I offered her one of those cloth-covered
rubber bands uses for pony-tails, which I keep in the car specifcally
for those with long hair. I also carry spare sunglasses. And I think
convertibles are famous for being windy, and most people think they
are more windy than they really are. She may have said something
about the sun on her skin, but it was 4PM and getting later.

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me any money.
;-)