Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

OT Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach
front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the
same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. (Most of
those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Maybe she had never rode in the backseat of a convertible before and
didn't think it was a problem. If that is the case, she learned
something didn't she?

Or, she is a controlling bitch that figured you would obey her
demands.

She is 30 y.o. and single, she obviously has issues.

Since there were others in the car, I would've taken a vote to see
what the others wanted.

What did you do?

Hank ~~~~~ believes in a democracy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:23*am, Hank wrote:
On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:

[...]

"...obviously has issues..." ????

Disgusting, patronizing, opaque, egotistical. Never heard of a woman
aged 30 and single BY PREFERENCE?! You need to widen your macho
horizon

[...]

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:23*am, Hank wrote:
On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:

[...]

Maybe she had never rode

"...had never ridden"

in the backseat of a convertible before and
didn't think it was a problem. If that is the case, she learned
something didn't she?

Or, she is a controlling bitch that figured you would obey her
demands.

She is 30 y.o. and single, she obviously has issues.

Since there were others in the car, I would've taken a vote to see
what the others wanted.

What did you do?

Hank ~~~~~ believes in a democracy

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:23*am, Hank wrote:
On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:

[...]

Who elected you to decide when a woman (or a man) "has issues" if they
are not married by the time Your Majesty decides they should?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

She is 30 y.o. and single, she obviously has issues.

Who elected you to decide when a woman (or a man) "has issues" if they
are not married by the time Your Majesty decides they should?

Well, have you ever seen a 30 year-old unmarried woman who DIDN'T have
issues?

Come to think on it, the "unmarried" qualifier is not really needed...

Never mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote

Well, have you ever seen a 30 year-old unmarried woman who DIDN'T have
issues?

Come to think on it, the "unmarried" qualifier is not really needed...

Never mind.

Another foolish thing is hooking up with someone that has had two or more
relationships. Don't think it is going to be permanent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote

Well, have you ever seen a 30 year-old unmarried woman who DIDN'T
have issues?

Come to think on it, the "unmarried" qualifier is not really
needed... Never mind.

Another foolish thing is hooking up with someone that has had two or
more relationships. Don't think it is going to be permanent.

I dunno. I think wives (or husbands) are like children and pancakes. You
have to throw the first one away.

Personally, I tell women who plaintively moan: "Why are all the good men
married?" that it's marriage that makes them good!

A woman should look at a potential mate as a source of raw material, not a
finished product.

Men CAN be trained (with, admittedly, varying degrees of success) to not
throw their socks on the floor, make rude bodily noises in a public venue,
ogle large-breasted waitresses, and bathe regularly.

A woman who knows this trick will test the applicant during the courtship
phase. She might say: "Darling, it really frustrates me when you're late
picking me up" and see how he reacts on subsequent get-togethers. If he
continues to be tardy, he's probably not EASILY trainable. If, on the other
hand, the issue never comes up again, she can rightfully conclude that he'll
be equally pliant when it comes to cities to live in, asking for raises,
buying her a dog that will fit in her purse, dressing in pastel suits, and
other little things that please her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote

Well, have you ever seen a 30 year-old unmarried woman who DIDN'T have
issues?

Come to think on it, the "unmarried" qualifier is not really needed...

Never mind.

Another foolish thing is hooking up with someone that has had two or more
relationships. Don't think it is going to be permanent.

You're joking, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:55 am, mm wrote:
[...]

Andy comments:
If you didn't want to do it, then you could have just said " The
mechanism
is broken and it won't go up. Would you like for me to drop you off
somewhere ?"

Lying is a good way to dismiss someone's request without saying
anything overt to cause a disagreement. Politicians do it all the
time...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.

Maybe her hair was blowing in her face. Maybe she'd never been in a
convertible before, and didn't realize the backwash you get when riding in
one with the top down.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote the following:
mm wrote in
:

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.

Maybe her hair was blowing in her face. Maybe she'd never been in a
convertible before, and didn't realize the backwash you get when riding in
one with the top down.

Of the two convertibles I owned back in the late '50s ('56 and '57
Fords), I found that in order to prevent back seat passenger's hair from
blowing in their face, you had to do 70 MPH so that the air stream off
the windshield fell behind the rear seat. If no rear passengers, 50 MPH
was enough to keep front seat driver and passenger's hair from blowing
in their face.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:59:58 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Tegger wrote the following:
mm wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, it's really not that windy back there. It surprised me when I
found out, riding in the back seat myself. The windshield shields all
the seats from most of the wind. I thought it was like riding a
horse, because without the steering wheel to hold on to all I had was
the seat.

Another indication is the rain. At highway speeds the rear seats
don't get wet. not even the backs of the rear seats. There is some
breeze, and if a light-weight piece of paper gets caught in it, it
will blow but not very fast, from the front seat to the back, then
down and back towards the front seat again, and around in circles.

In the glove compartment, I kept a couple of the cloth covered rubber
bands just so a woman could tie her hair up. I offered her one and
she didn't want it. I don't think she complained about her hair. She
also didn't say anything about not realizing the top would be down,
either because she thought I should just do what she wanted, or
because she did understand me in the first place when I said
convertible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 1:59*pm, willshak wrote:
Tegger wrote the following:

mm wrote in
:

[...]

"Gee, Officer, no - there's no fire. I was doing 70 as a courtesy to
my passengers in the rear."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:40:49 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:59*pm, willshak wrote:
Tegger wrote the following:

mm wrote in
:

[...]

70?? If you were just going 70 they'd be scraping you out of the ditch (just
back from a 3000mi vacation). ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:

I said, "Sure. *I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

This is a basic lack of communication or different logic
interpretation. "Sure. I drive a convertible." can be interpreted as
"Let's do it in the back-seat" (or I'm trying to impress you).
If you would have said, "I drive with the top-down and you may not
find it pleasant in the back-seat" it may have been clearer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:

I said, "Sure. *I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

This is a basic lack of communication or different logic
interpretation. "Sure. I drive a convertible." can be interpreted as
"Let's do it in the back-seat" (or I'm trying to impress you).

LOL. Definitely wasn't trying to impress her, only to warn her. It
never occurred to me until you said it that she might have thought
that. I meant it as a synonym for top being down, but maybe she
didnt' take it that way.

If you would have said, "I drive with the top-down and you may not
find it pleasant in the back-seat" it may have been clearer.

For sure. I regret that I didn't say that, but I'm trying to figure
out how unclear I was.

I wish I had also said, "I'm glad to have your company, but if you
don't want the top down, you also have two days to find a ride that's
not a convertible." See again, it comes out with no specific
reference to the top being down. I guess to be sure I would have had
to say, "to find a ride with someone who won't put the top down."

I appreciate your answering the question. It's the only question I
asked and the only one I gave full background for. There's a lot I
left out that's needed to answer any other question.

And I'll add this for the other postsrs, that the reason I was willing
to use my car on the trip instead of my male friend's, do all the
driving, and pay for all the gas was that no matter what the rest of
the trip is like, I know I'll enjoy the drive each way. My friend
knew the top would be down, but I don't remember how I said it. Maybe
he brought it up first, wanted me to take my car with the top down.
Yes, I think he suggested it.

She had sunglasses, and I offered her one of those cloth-covered
rubber bands uses for pony-tails, which I keep in the car specifcally
for those with long hair. I also carry spare sunglasses. And I think
convertibles are famous for being windy, and most people think they
are more windy than they really are. She may have said something
about the sun on her skin, but it was 4PM and getting later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:

[...]

Tell her that you're going topless and that if she wants to come along, she
has to go topless too!

[...]

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me any money.
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me any
money. ;-)

I'd never own a convertible;they can be cut,they are noisy,and they rot.
No security when the top is down.
Plus I was always getting caught with the top down when it began to rain.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:26:09 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
:

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me any
money. ;-)

I'd never own a convertible;they can be cut,they are noisy,and they rot.
No security when the top is down.

No security with the windows down either.

Plus I was always getting caught with the top down when it began to rain.

There is a reason they're called SWMBO. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote the following:
" wrote in
:

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me any
money. ;-)

I'd never own a convertible;they can be cut,they are noisy,and they rot.
No security when the top is down.

Even worse is when the top is up. Not only can they steal your stuff,
but you'll have to buy a new top.
DAMHIK.

Plus I was always getting caught with the top down when it began to rain.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

It's special to know that when you extend a courtesy to someone you
only extend it so far.

The world would probably have stopped revolving if you had put up the
top, life would have lost meaning, and you would have become a bitter
old man. You dodged a bullet there, Sparky.

BTW, actions like that are a reason why you're going to singles
events.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2011 3:55 AM, mm wrote:
OT Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach
front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the
same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. (Most of
those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

As words of someone trying to make points?

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left
at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the
top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she
and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top
up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

Which would be meaningless to someone who never rode in one and never
experienced a ride in turbulent wind tunnel. I owned one convertible in
my life and wouldn't buy another.

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the
top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two
days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would
have looked for a ride for her, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Beggars can't be choosers.

And... Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency
on my part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

I take it that you have a car where the top goes down. I also take it that
on a nice day, you will have the top down. I've owned a couple of
convertibles and the top was down if the temperature was above 60 and it was
not raining.

These days, I'm far more likely to have the AC on and windows closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

"I'll put my top up if you take yours down"(?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Maybe if you had put your top up, she would have let her top down.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jun 25, 1:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

==
What this has to do with "home repair" has yet to be explained but I
don't expect an acceptable answer.

My opinion of the situation is: The passenger didn't like the
turbulence of the wind so unless you HAD to have the top down for some
vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate
for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and
continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science.
Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with
the top up didn't kill you...grow up.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I
own the car and I want it down.
Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate
for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and
continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science.
Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with
the top up didn't kill you...grow up.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I
own the car and I want it down.
Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

A perfectly good reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I
own the car and I want it down.
Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

One of the first things I learned as a young adult was ALWAYS take YOUR car.
That way if the situation went into a ditch, you had wheels, and were king
of the universe.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 07:08:53 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I
own the car and I want it down.
Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

One of the first things I learned as a young adult was ALWAYS take YOUR car.
That way if the situation went into a ditch, you had wheels, and were king
of the universe.

Years ago, I went camping in the mountains of North Carolina with a
friend, his girlfriend, and her 10-year old daughter. On the last
morning, the mother was delirious and delusional and had a temperature
of 102.5 and her daugher 103.5.

My friend said it would go away and he wanted to drive straight back
to Baltimore, get his car and go back to Westchester, NY (a 9 or 10
hour drive) so he could get to work Monday on time. The hospital was
an hour from the campground, but on the way home. He wanted to skip
the hospital.

I insisted they go to the hospital, and I was glad it was MY car.

We were there an hour or two, and the doctor didn't really do
anything, so my "friend" argued that he was right, all the way back to
Baltimore. You'd think a lawyer would know better. And he was mad
at me because since she was HIS girlfriend, he thought that meant he
was in charge of decisions about her.

He'd done other obnoxious things on occasion over the years, but this
was by far the worst and was the end of our friendship.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:55 am, wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't BUY a convertible if he didn't want the top down. hELLO!!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Kind of defeats the purpose of going to a singles mixer. You all
really sound like DIYers to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote in news:a27be3db-a19d-4824-92c8-
:

On Jun 25, 1:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

The acceptable answer as far as I'm concerned, whether you accept it or
not, is the first two letters in the subject.

My opinion of the situation is: The passenger didn't like the
turbulence of the wind so unless you HAD to have the top down for some
vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate
for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and
continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science.
Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with
the top up didn't kill you...grow up.
=

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess is is a "Yo" thread?

I thought it was a bad decision for (presumably male) person
to offer a female a ride from a singles activity. Too much
risk of appearance of evil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
Roy wrote in
:

=What this has to do with "home repair" has yet to be
explained but I
don't expect an acceptable answer.

The acceptable answer as far as I'm concerned, whether you
accept it or
not, is the first two letters in the subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I guess is is a "Yo" thread?

I thought it was a bad decision for (presumably male) person
to offer a female a ride from a singles activity. Too much
risk of appearance of evil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Bah, Singles need to get laid too. Besides I hear Jesus is very forgiving

"Red Green" wrote in message
Roy wrote in
:

=What this has to do with "home repair" has yet to be
explained but I
don't expect an acceptable answer.

The acceptable answer as far as I'm concerned, whether you
accept it or
not, is the first two letters in the subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2011 12:15 PM, Roy wrote:
On Jun 25, 1:55 am, wrote:
[...]

he didn't say anything about putting it up and I wouldn't have either.
If i had a convertible, it would be down or not driven.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 1:15*pm, Roy wrote:
My opinion of the situation is: The passenger didn't like the
turbulence of the wind so unless you HAD to have the top down for some
vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate
for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and
continued on your way without her.

Jeez, how the hell much "courtesy" do you want the guy to extend? He
is already giving a presumably FREE ride to a complete stranger.
Should he serve wine and cheese? Maybe he should give her an avocado
facial, and take her shoe shopping?

In this case, she's little more than self-propelled luggage, with all
the rights and privileges afforded to said luggage. Sit down, shut up,
and be glad you're getting home without having to pay for a bus ticket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:55*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Why in the hell did you go to a singles event then?

Jimmie