Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

" wrote in
:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:56:06 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:57:45 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:33:52 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote the following:
" wrote in
:

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save
me any money. ;-)

I'd never own a convertible;they can be cut,they are noisy,and
they rot. No security when the top is down.

Even worse is when the top is up. Not only can they steal your
stuff, but you'll have to buy a new top.
DAMHIK.

How is that different than breaking the glass?

you can cut open a soft top quietly. you probably would not even set
off any alarm.

Do you think anyone would notice either way? Alarm? What alarm?

Some people DO notice.
It helped me one time when thieves came to break into my car.

Didn't work for us (apartment, either).

essentially,the alarm is to alert YOU,not anyone else.
and you have to be prepared to confront the thieves
yourself(armed,IOW),because police may not arrive in time to catch them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:49:19 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Han" wrote

I think that I've done pretty well with my first and only. Met in '62,
married in '67, took her to the US in '69. So what works for you (the
"discarding") might have been because you needed more patience in
training

For us it was '62 and '66. Still keeping her. May discard the kids
though.

Are they *still* living in your basement?! ;-)

One just moved back in. At least she is employed and plans to contribute
some $.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 10:56 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
z wrote in
:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:57:45 -0500, Jim wrote:

z wrote in
:

wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote the following:
z wrote in
:

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me
any money. ;-)

I'd never own a convertible;they can be cut,they are noisy,and they
rot. No security when the top is down.

Even worse is when the top is up. Not only can they steal your stuff,
but you'll have to buy a new top.
DAMHIK.

How is that different than breaking the glass?

you can cut open a soft top quietly. you probably would not even set off
any alarm.

Do you think anyone would notice either way? Alarm? What alarm?

Some people DO notice.
It helped me one time when thieves came to break into my car.

I used to install a lot of vehicle alarms and I would install several
very loud piercing high frequency sirens inside the cab of the vehicle.
I set them to put out different tone patterns so they were often out of
phase which made you feel like someone was pulling your brains out
through your ears. I often installed several sirens on the outside of
the vehicle too along with a module to flash the lights. The folks I
installed them for said the darn things would wake the whole
neighborhood at night when some dobad messed with their vehicle with
the dobad running like hell when the beast of an alarm went off. Some
of the vehicle alarms I installed had a pager to go along with them and
the customer could catch a thief or the jerk in the parking lot who
bumped his car.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2011 10:11 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
z wrote in
:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:56:06 -0500, Jim
wrote:

z wrote in
:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:57:45 -0500, Jim
wrote:

z wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Not to mention dealing with your ****ed-off neighbors who had to listen
to the alarm until it reset itself, if it gets tripped when you aren't home.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:36:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Han" wrote

I think that I've done pretty well with my first and only. Met in '62,
married in '67, took her to the US in '69. So what works for you (the
"discarding") might have been because you needed more patience in
training

For us it was '62 and '66. Still keeping her. May discard the kids
though.

Are they *still* living in your basement?! ;-)

One just moved back in.

I'm sorry to hear that.

At least she is employed and plans to contribute
some $.

After my son dropped out of college, we had him pay us rent. We banked it
(paying the bills wasn't the point), and later gave it to his him and his wife
as part of their wedding present.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:11:38 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:56:06 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:57:45 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
om:

wrote:

[...]

How does that work when you're somewhere else. Neighbors just get ****ed at
the noise. How many people even look when a car alarm goes off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote

Well, have you ever seen a 30 year-old unmarried woman who DIDN'T have
issues?

Come to think on it, the "unmarried" qualifier is not really needed...

Never mind.

Another foolish thing is hooking up with someone that has had two or more
relationships. Don't think it is going to be permanent.

You're joking, right?

Nope, look at the statistics. I'm not talking a bad date or two, I'm
talking a live together type relationship. Anyone can end up in a bad
marriage (or shack up), but when someone has two, three, or four or more,
you are asking for problems.

****, I've had 8 long-term serious relationships, but I hardly consider
myself non-permanent material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

For the record, I did not invite her. She asked if she could come and
I said sure or maybe okay.

Same thing, in my book. One way or another, she ended up in your car.
That makes her your guest.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:58:23 -0400, aemeijers

Not to mention dealing with your ****ed-off neighbors who had to listen
to the alarm until it reset itself, if it gets tripped when you aren't home.

I found out years into it that whenever someone rang my doorbell when
I wasn't home, usually the mailman, it set off my burglar alarm. Most
people weren't home and no one complained. It just came up in
conversation.

I foudn a nicer doorbell on sale for 60% off, so I bought it and put
the other one in the basement. Then it turned out I needed a bigger
doorbell transformer to run both, and when I got the bigger one it
rang the main floor bell louder than the previous bell had rung, which
set off the glass/wood breakage detector, and the alarm.

Didn't want to make the two detectors less sensitive, so I put a
resistor in the power supply to the main floor bell. Used a
potentiometer until I got a good value, measured the value of the pot
at that point, and replaced it with a fixed resistor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:11:38 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:57:45 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
news:5ibi07pcb4e5bs4t2khhvra71q3jjkdf5c@4ax. com:

wrote:

[...]

it doesn't. Unless you have a paging alarm.

Neighbors just get
****ed at the noise.

Yeah,and if it were their car being broken into or stolen,they'd bitch and
whine. GOOD neighbors look out for each other.

How many people even look when a car alarm goes
off?

I do. Even at 3 AM.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 27, 10:46*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:51:35 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"mm" wrote
I insisted they go to the hospital, and I was glad it was MY car.

We were there an hour or two, and the doctor didn't really do
anything, so my "friend" argued that he was right, all the way back

Baltimore.

We were in Virginia and coming home through Baltimore. *My wife was not
feeling well the past couple of day. *They she said she wanted to see a
doctor NOW! *Ended up at Chesapeake Medical Center where she stayed for

6
days. * Had we continued, maybe she would not be here.

My ex-boss *didn't* listen to his own "inner voice" telling him that
something was wrong as he pushed himself to make a cross-country drive in
record time. *Cost him dearly as a blood clot formed in his leg from lack

of
motion, broke off and became a pulmonary embolism. *Proof that people's

need
to "get there fast" can sometimes mean getting to a very bad place. *When

my
dad had his first stroke I drove 12 hours from Asheville, NC to DC after
being awake all day to arrive in rainy rush hour. *Nearly killed myself

in a
spin-out I was so tired. *Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! *Glad to hear

you
made the right choice. *It's very easy and tempting not to, some times.

Twelve hours from Asheville to DC? *That's ~500miles or only 40MPH. *We

just
drove from E. Alabama to N. Vermont (1300Mi) and back in a little over 22
hours each way (over two days - two weekends), including stops (but not
counting a side trip down Skyline Drive).

Seemed like 12 hours once I hit I-95 northbound rush hour traffic in the
rain. The last 50 miles took longer than the rest of the trip. *DC area rush
hour traffic has been consistently recognized as some of the worst in the
nation. *Stop and start traffic after hours of "free running" is pure
torture for the over-tired. *It's like being rocked to sleep. *Going 5 to 10
mph for the last leg of the trip will really screw up the average.

Yup yup yup

similar trip I will go 50+ miles out of my way to avoid the DC area
entirely. Seems like you barely get past Richmond before it starts to
back up.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 27, 8:01*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:52:04 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

wrote:

"Robert Green" wrote
Yeah, but you probably would have missed the wife. Doubt it was the KG
he was looking at- they were quite common back then.

They may have been common but they certainly were different than almost
any
other car on the road at the time and very eye-catching. * I learned to
drive a stick in one. *Came with miserable heaters, as almost all VW's

did

Wish I had a miserable heater. *The heat ducts were rusted out so nothing
came to the passenger compartment. *I used to carry an ice scraper in

winter
to use on the inside when the windshield froze up.

My brother had one in Minneapolis. *I remember visiting him over the new

year
holiday '73-'74. *It was cold enough to freeze the battery but I fixed

that
(got rear-ended on I94).

That'll fix it. *They were not built to survive accidents. *I can still see
the headlight popped out of its frame, rolling across the hood and up over
the windshield and roof when we hit that Chevy.

My boss was driving his new Accord home from the showroom when he got hit
from behind by a dumptruck. *The whole rear end was gone and he was pushed
into the car ahead of him but he had no injuries, amazingly. *We called it
the Honda Accordian. *His insurance company balked at totalling the thing
until he contacted the state's insurance commissioner. *After that, they
paid the whole thing off and then cancelled him! *What companies are hated
more than insurers?

VW definitely improved both heaters and crashworthiness over the
years. I was never afraid to drive anywhere in my watercooled VWs and
took my Scirocco to northern VT over new years' Y2K.

I lost track of the number of times I was rear-ended in both the
roccet and my GTI 16V... never any damage to *my* car (hee hee hee)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote

How many people even look when a car alarm goes
off?

I do. Even at 3 AM.

I don't. A few weeks ago I did though. The third time the alarm went off I
went outside, as did my neighbor across the street. The guy that owned the
truck never heard anything when we told him a few days later. He had
electrical problems, now fixed.