Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

On Jun 27, 8:01*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:52:04 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

wrote:

"Robert Green" wrote
Yeah, but you probably would have missed the wife. Doubt it was the KG
he was looking at- they were quite common back then.

They may have been common but they certainly were different than almost
any
other car on the road at the time and very eye-catching. * I learned to
drive a stick in one. *Came with miserable heaters, as almost all VW's

did

Wish I had a miserable heater. *The heat ducts were rusted out so nothing
came to the passenger compartment. *I used to carry an ice scraper in

winter
to use on the inside when the windshield froze up.

My brother had one in Minneapolis. *I remember visiting him over the new

year
holiday '73-'74. *It was cold enough to freeze the battery but I fixed

that
(got rear-ended on I94).

That'll fix it. *They were not built to survive accidents. *I can still see
the headlight popped out of its frame, rolling across the hood and up over
the windshield and roof when we hit that Chevy.

My boss was driving his new Accord home from the showroom when he got hit
from behind by a dumptruck. *The whole rear end was gone and he was pushed
into the car ahead of him but he had no injuries, amazingly. *We called it
the Honda Accordian. *His insurance company balked at totalling the thing
until he contacted the state's insurance commissioner. *After that, they
paid the whole thing off and then cancelled him! *What companies are hated
more than insurers?

VW definitely improved both heaters and crashworthiness over the
years. I was never afraid to drive anywhere in my watercooled VWs and
took my Scirocco to northern VT over new years' Y2K.

I lost track of the number of times I was rear-ended in both the
roccet and my GTI 16V... never any damage to *my* car (hee hee hee)

nate