Posted to alt.home.repair

Default doggie doors

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 4:11*pm, "nefletch" wrote:
I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. *I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? *Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. *Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

I cant recommend a cheaper one. but I have 2, so i speak from
experience.

if you want to keep hot and cold where they belong build a dog house,
attach to wherever your putting it, with 2 seperate single dog doors.
this creates a vestibule. thats more effective than a double seal
door.

both me and my dogs love our doggie doors, and fenced in yard
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

This question is directed at the OP known as "nefletch".

I'm just curious: After the dogs go out the doggie door, where do they go
next? Do you have a fenced yard to keep them on your property?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jul 5, 2:31*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"nefletch" wrote in message

scommunications...

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. *I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? *Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. *Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

This question is directed at the OP known as "nefletch".

I'm just curious: After the dogs go out the doggie door, where do they go
next? Do you have a fenced yard to keep them on your property?

==
Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs
entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My
opinion...others may differ.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roy" wrote in message news:990108b6-25d0-4359-b6cb-

Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs
entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My
opinion...others may differ.
==

I definitely do not want my dog running in and out at will, but mine is a
house dog with outside privileges when she's home. During the day she's at
work with DH and outside most of the day with him. People that have dog
doors swear by them though.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:54:11 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:

On Jul 5, 2:31*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"nefletch" wrote in message

scommunications...

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. *I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? *Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. *Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

This question is directed at the OP known as "nefletch".

I'm just curious: After the dogs go out the doggie door, where do they go
next? Do you have a fenced yard to keep them on your property?

==
Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs
entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My
opinion...others may differ.

You could look at it the other way dogs demanding your assistance to go in and
out own you. ;-) Having only cats now, there is no question in our house.

Dogs have owners
Cats have staff
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

This question is directed at the OP known as "nefletch".

I'm just curious: After the dogs go out the doggie door, where do they go
next? Do you have a fenced yard to keep them on your property?

Joe, if you are going to become an animal enforcement officer, you must
first surrender your netnanny badge.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roy" wrote in message
==
Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs
entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My
opinion...others may differ.
==

Do you include garages in your opinion? Just curious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

Yep, $270 is obscene. You can get (some) doggie doors at the box store and
install them yourself.

What's the garage mde of? Is is brick veneer over fiberboard over studs and
insulation over sheetrock? Or is it bare studs on the inside and a clapboard
exterior? Or are you planning on putting the doggie door in either the car
or human door?

Usually a doggie door is a pretty simple device. A hole, a flap and you're
done.

Ideas:

* Wooden flap with magnets at the bottom to hold it shut, like used on curio
cabinets.
* Rubber sheet flap the animals can squeeze through.
* Plan on some locking mechanism to keep the animals wherever you want them
to be.

Problems:

* If big enough - and the dogs are friendly enough - a burglar can squeeze
in.
* Other animals can use the door (raccoons, cats, opossums, foxes, etc.),
but most can't (frogs, turtles, grackles, salamanders).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roy" wrote in message
==
Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs
entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My
opinion...others may differ.

==

Don't know anything about dogs, but when we had outdoor cats the cat door
was set up for out only. When they could come back in on their own we had no
control over was "presents" they would bring in. Dead critters are fine, but
"mostly dead" animals can provide far more excitement than I need in my
life. All incoming cats MUST be checked for a mouth full of chipmunk!

I'm quite happy that none of my current cats are former ferals, who just
MUST. GO. OUT. no matter how bad the weather. I doubt any of my
dumped-at-the-shelter kitties have ever been outside. My yard misses the
ferals patrolling the rodents, but I don't miss the worry about their
safety.

My opinion about all pets is that if you don't want to have them in your
house, why have them at all?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jul 5, 5:51*pm, "Gloria" wrote:
"Roy" wrote in message

==
Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs
entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My
opinion...others may differ.
==

Do you include garages in your opinion? Just curious.

==
I can't imagine that the dogs will be too good for what is stored in
most garages (and vice verso) but if the garage is just a shell then a
doggy door wouldn't matter anyway. Go for it.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
==
[...]

Maybe because many of them aren't happy staying indoors all the time.
They're not designed for that sort of thing. You may imagine that they've
been domesticated, but it ain't true.

The pets which APPEAR happy indoors are faking it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance
Caution about doggie doors. Be sure you can lock the door when leaving
home. A friend had a door for a large dog and some small person came
through while she was not home and stole computer and other items. One of
our sons had 2 large dogs and one night a large racoon came in the door.
Mean things, fought with the dogs until son could beat it with a broom and
it departed. No longer has a doggie door. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Roy" wrote in message
==
[...]

It might be a bit inconvenient to keep a llama in the house. They
hog the tv remotes.
Rural people probably have different standards. Dogs stay outside.
Ditto for cats. A horse kept just for pleasure riding is a pet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
h wrote:
Rural people probably have different standards. Dogs stay outside.
Ditto for cats.

I'm rural, and we have coyotes. When we had outdoor cats they came in at
night. I would NEVER leave anything smaller than an Irish Wolfhound out at
night around here. Plus, it's too cold to leave pets outside for 4-5 months
a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
Rural people probably have different standards. Dogs stay outside.
Ditto for cats.

I'm rural, and we have coyotes. When we had outdoor cats they came in at
night. I would NEVER leave anything smaller than an Irish Wolfhound out at
night around here. Plus, it's too cold to leave pets outside for 4-5 months
a year.

We had a barn the cats could go into. My folks let the cats take
over the old chicken coop when Mom stopped raising chickens. The dogs
liked to use a machine shed that was always left open. They liked it
better than the official dog house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
* *Rural people probably have different standards. *Dogs stay outside.
Ditto for cats.

I'm rural, and we have coyotes. When we had outdoor cats they came in at
night. I would NEVER leave anything smaller than an Irish Wolfhound out at
night around here. Plus, it's too cold to leave pets outside for 4-5 months
a year.

* * *We had a barn the cats could go into. * My folks let the cats take
over the old chicken coop when Mom stopped raising chickens. * The dogs
liked to use a machine shed that was always left open. *They liked it
better than the official dog house.

dogs are very loving creatures and belng indoors, espically in bad
weather.

but they enjoy the outdoors too....

and with doggie door never have to be let out

I can go away the entire day and they are fine Have 6 foot chainlink
fence to keep them safe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:11:08 -0600, nefletch wrote:

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my hounds can let
themselves in and out. I was cruising the net, and I seen one that will
install in the wall, has double doors, and does look pretty nice, but $
270.00 ? Crap, (excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice
doggie door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door? thanks in advance

I got one from HD and I think it was less than $100, but only just -
they're pretty expensive for what they are.

I think the "thick wall mounting kit" (or whatever they call it) was
about another $90, so I just bought some threaded rod, washers and acorn
nuts for a few bucks and lined the space "inside" the wall with some ply
that I had laying around from another job. Painted it all and sealed it,
and I expect it'll need a little maintenance every few years (the
downside of not having the plastic-fantastic kit :-)

I'm yet to do a winter with it. I've noticed that sometimes one of the
rubber doors doesn't quite close fully despite the magnets if the dog
goes through by pushing the door at the side rather than the bottom, so
that's going to cause some problems during cold season.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

one of my dogs likes to lay in the door holding it open in the coldest
weather, which is why I recommend a double door with dog house
vestibule...

she lets in so much cold air

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2010 1:11 PM nefletch spake thus:

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

Not the answer you wanted; the door I'm describing is even more
expensive ($400). I installed one of these for a client. It's an
electric door activated by a magnetic collar on the pet. Opens a clear
acrylic panel vertically to let the pet in or out. Keeps the weather
pretty much out. Pretty cool solution, but not cheap.

http://www.moorepet.com/Solo-Fully-A...-Door-s/74.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 3:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 7/5/2010 1:11 PM nefletch spake thus:

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. *I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? *Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. *Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

Not the answer you wanted; the door I'm describing is even more
expensive ($400). I installed one of these for a client. It's an
electric door activated by a magnetic collar on the pet. Opens a clear
acrylic panel vertically to let the pet in or out. Keeps the weather
pretty much out. Pretty cool solution, but not cheap.

http://www.moorepet.com/Solo-Fully-A...-Door-s/74.htm

my concern if you live where extreme weather could endager your pet a
door malfunction could kill them.

Thats why I have 2 seperate doggie doors, poodles are small and could
freeze to death in winter sometimes zero degrees.

Its not a issue currently with hoighs in the 90s.

my dogs are smart they mostly stay indoors in the AC when its hot like
this
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanwhile, the OP has yet to return to this discussion, unless he/she has a
second identity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 9:41*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Meanwhile, the OP has yet to return to this discussion, unless he/she has a
second identity.

Spoilsport!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Meanwhile, the OP has yet to return to this discussion, unless he/she has a
second identity.

Spoilsport!

You can buy the clear plastic flaps at pet stores, as replacements.

my minature poodle size costs around 20 bucks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 4:22*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
typed:

wrote:

Meanwhile, the OP has yet to return to this discussion,
unless he/she has a second identity.

Spoilsport!

You can buy the clear plastic flaps at pet stores, as
replacements.

my minature poodle size costs around 20 bucks

drsfostersmith.com is a good source.

your probably better off buying a door assembly, they seal pretty good
and include magnets to help the sealing

doggie door nefletch Home Repair 32 July 21st 09 07:03 AM
Doggie doors represent new opportunities HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 28 May 15th 09 02:55 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Ownership 0 February 19th 09 08:45 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Repair 0 February 19th 09 08:41 AM
Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM