Posted to alt.home.repair

Default doggie door

I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

My experiences with about six doggie doors: There are no airtight doggie
doors. The next best thing is two doors that are separated by at least
three feet, as one would have in a porch or enclosed foyer situation.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

My experiences with about six doggie doors: There are no airtight doggie
doors. The next best thing is two doors that are separated by at least
three feet, as one would have in a porch or enclosed foyer situation.

Steve

Correct, there is no airtight doors, altho keeping the sun off the flap
helps it to maintain it's shape. Add some astro turf inside the two doors.
That will help clean their feet. And the first time it's too cold, too hot
or raining, guess where they'll do their business. So be ready for a bit of
training.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote:

I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

I haven't looked at them myself- but I would certainly check out the
doors with electronic locks so only *your* dog can use it. Even if
the neighbor's dog doesn't wander into your yard, there are curious
squirrels, possums and raccoons who do.

I have never seen one that said 'designed for northern climates' so I
suspect you will have a cold spot wherever you put it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/17/2009 12:33 AM (ET) nefletch wrote the following:
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you
know, get up and let it out.
A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 7:44�am, willshak wrote:
on 7/17/2009 12:33 AM (ET) nefletch wrote the following:

I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. �I do have a favor to ask. �My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. �We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. �Any suggestions will
be appreciated. �thx

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you
know, get up and let it out.
A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

have had doggie doors for 13? years, over 12 for sure with a fenced in
yard.

they come and go as they want, and go out top go pottie even if we
dont get home. best thing I ever added here.

there are double seal doors but having them go thru 2 doors is
better.

racoons etc avoid our yard, and dont leave food outdoors to attract
them

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-snip-

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you
know, get up and let it out.
A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

I forgot about that one. A couple was arrested this week. They
had been using their 11 yr old to gain entrance to houses through
doggie doors for 5-6 years.

Google 'doggie door burglary' for some eye opening stories and videos.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

We have a bell hanging from the handle of our sliding door to the
deck. The cat rings it when she wants to go out. Might work for a dog
also. (It's kind of fun to ignore it sometimes. She'll actually hit it
harder if we don't move quick enough.)

When she wants to come in, she jumps up on the screen* and drops to
the deck. We hear the thump and let her in. That could be an issue for
a dog.

When we put the dogs out front on the leash, they'll drag their claws
down the bottom panel of the aluminum storm door when they want to
come back in. You can't miss that racket! We can usually tell when
they want to go out, so we don't need a bell. Besides, they get walked
regularly, so the "out-front leash time" is more for just hanging out.

* We use the pet-proof screening. The cat has been doing this for over
2 years and there is not one imperfection showing on the material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-snip-

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you
know, get up and let it out.
A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

I forgot about that one. A couple was arrested this week. They
had been using their 11 yr old to gain entrance to houses through
doggie doors for 5-6 years.

Google 'doggie door burglary' for some eye opening stories and videos.

Jim

When I got my new house I made sure the laundry room had an outside door so
I could put in a doggie door and, if they were muddy etc, they would at
least have a place to enter the house before they got to the carpet. After
a lot of consideration I have not yet installed a doggie door. I just
figure that we'd end up with rats, squirrels, rattlesnakes, spiders, and who
knows what else (coyotes maybe) in the house.

I'm kinda surprised that there are many burglaries via doggie doors. Don't
most doggie doors have a dog on the other side of them? I'd also think that
many, if not most, dogs would be likely to attack a kid coming through the
doggie door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-snip-

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you
know, get up and let it out.
A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

I forgot about that one. A couple was arrested this week. They
had been using their 11 yr old to gain entrance to houses through
doggie doors for 5-6 years.

Yet another reason to put double cylinder deadbolts on all exterior
doors. I want my burglars to break a window, and carry my stuff out
through the broken window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Wouldn't a big enough dog discourage raccoons, squirrels, sheep, and
similar?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out"

We have a bell hanging from the handle of our sliding door to the
deck. The cat rings it when she wants to go out. Might work for a dog
also. (It's kind of fun to ignore it sometimes. She'll actually hit it
harder if we don't move quick enough.)

Do you have this problem?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...-open-door.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 11:52*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out"

We have a bell hanging from the handle of our sliding door to the
deck. The cat rings it when she wants to go out. Might work for a dog
also. (It's kind of fun to ignore it sometimes. She'll actually hit it
harder if we don't move quick enough.)

Do you have this problem?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...unny-pictures-...

I'll have to wait until I get home to see what you've
offered...corporate servers with content blockers, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak wrote:

A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

There's all kinds of considerations to be made, i.e. if your property
looks wealthy and you have a large dog, the door could get you burgled
in some areas.

I gotta piddlin' little bungalow in a densely populated part of a midwest
US city, have kept spaniel-size hunting dogs for years, doggie door
installed in an old wood storm door in back. About 23 years and the
only thing "foreign" thru the door was the neighbors cat (once only).
A few 'possums, a very rare racoon, and a zillion gray squirrels in the
neighborhood, sometimes in the yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:33:46 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-snip-

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you
know, get up and let it out.
A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

I forgot about that one. A couple was arrested this week. They
had been using their 11 yr old to gain entrance to houses through
doggie doors for 5-6 years.

Google 'doggie door burglary' for some eye opening stories and videos.

Jim

"Our dog loves the flavor of fresh burglars."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doggie doors belong on doggie houses.

most people with dogs know they are a member of the family, their home
a dog house

only those with dogs will understand

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Ulysses wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Yea, but the dog has to be there at the right time. Sheep might have a
little trouble sneaking in but mice seem to be waiting for someone to open
the regular door so I figure a doggie door would be too easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have this problem?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...unny-pictures-...

I'll have to wait until I get home to see what you've
offered...corporate servers with content blockers, etc.

What kind of cruel corporation blocks pictures of cats with funny captions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 8:34�pm, "Ulysses" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Ulysses wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:44:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-snip-

[...]

the regular door so I figure a doggie door would be too easy.- Hide quoted text -

never had a mouse leak in, although our dog susie would take care of
all intruders
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hipupchuck" wrote in message
nefletch wrote:
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

Doggie doors belong on doggie houses.

I agree..They are a PITA...A big heat loss..Leak...Other animals use them ,
Ect....Get off your ass and let it in and out....

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

Think cat - the self-cleaning pet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will
be appreciated. thx

Doggie doors belong on doggie houses.

I agree..They are a PITA...A big heat loss..Leak...Other animals use them ,
Ect....Get off your ass and let it in and out....

You can easily do this even when asleep, out of town, taking a bath,
etc....

No, that pile of sh*t doesn't exist. I let the dog out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:25:05 -0400, Hipupchuck wrote:

nefletch wrote:
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and I thank them for
it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife wants me to put in a doggie
door from the living area to the outside, not just from the garage. We
have 6 months of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will be
appreciated. thx

Doggie doors belong on doggie houses.

We consider our recently installed doggy-door to be one of the best
purchases we have ever made. Better than having a kid move out IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 9:19�pm, Hipupchuck wrote:
nefletch wrote:
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. �I do have a favor to ask. �My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. �We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. �Any suggestions will
be appreciated. �thx

Get an electric opener for the door with a button the dog can push with
his nose. Then he can open the door and go in and out as he wishes but
other animals can't. He can be trained to do this.

they have automated versions of this, pet wears a special collar that
unlocks door.

having had multiple dogs over last 12 years the doggie door is
awesome.......

no worry of getting home late pet must be let out etc. its all
automatic.

we have gone on vacation for a week without concerns, just have a
friend check food and water daily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out"

We have a bell hanging from the handle of our sliding door to the
deck. The cat rings it when she wants to go out. Might work for a dog
also. (It's kind of fun to ignore it sometimes. She'll actually hit it
harder if we don't move quick enough.)

Do you have this problem?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...unny-pictures-...

Yeah, that's an occasional issue, but more annoying is when she
follows you into the garage or up the deck or porch stairs so you can
let her in just so she can walk across the house to some other door so
you can let her out.

She has literally - many, many times - done nothing more than walk in
the front and right out the back. I guess it's shorter than going
*around* the house!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out"
We have a bell hanging from the handle of our sliding door to the
deck. The cat rings it when she wants to go out. Might work for a dog
also. (It's kind of fun to ignore it sometimes. She'll actually hit it
harder if we don't move quick enough.)

Do you have this problem?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...unny-pictures-...

Yeah, that's an occasional issue, but more annoying is when she
follows you into the garage or up the deck or porch stairs so you can
let her in just so she can walk across the house to some other door so
you can let her out.

She has literally - many, many times - done nothing more than walk in
the front and right out the back. I guess it's shorter than going
*around* the house!

Methinks that in their tiny little cat minds, outside via front door and
outside via back door, lead to two different places. I've lived with
several cats over the years, and a couple of them would only use one
door to go in and out, even if you happened to be at the other end of
the house in front of the other door. They all would vocalize to get
out, and being a non-catbox house, you ignored their request at your
peril. As soon as a human would stand up, they would lead them to the
door THEY wanted to go out of, looking over their shoulder the whole
way, to make sure their staff-with-opposable-thumbs was following them.

Now of course if they were staring out a window right before demanding
to be let out, you also had to look out the window to see what they were
staring at. Had one cat that liked to hunt rabbits from inside, and it
always got ****ed off if you flipped on outside lights and made a racket
opening the door, to scare the bunny off, before you let it out.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

if the people who post negative about pet doors trierd one for awhile
they would like them too

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
[...]

On another note; Why have animals if they are alone all the time? I do not
have animals nor do I miss them. These compassion neurotics cause animal
loneliness for nothing.

I agree...Now that we have an empty nest and the wife is back at work (used
to be a stay at home mom)we no longer have a pet since our last dog passed
on...It would be alone 8-10 hours a day...Not fair to the pet....

Another pet peeve of mine is job site mutts...Some IDIOTS think it is ok to
bring their mutt to the jobsite to be under foot and beg for food at lunch
and break or even steal your lunch if you leave it where said mutt can get
it...They think everyone on the job will look out for their mutt...A MAJOR
PITA...Leave them home....

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
[...]

Agreed on the pets for people that aren't at home most of the time-
unless you have a huge yard and an outside pen, and multiple animals so
they can socialize, it isn't fair to the animal. As to the job site
mutts- let the boss wearing the tie and/or the insurance company guy
and/or the DOL safety inspector be the bad guy. Having a dog around
when you are using power tools or heavy equipment or chemicals, or even
just standing up a wall, is like having a toddler around. They don't
mean to cause harm, to themselves or others, but they are curious and/or
bored. The animal will get hurt at some point, or cause a worker to get
hurt tripping over it or watching out for it. The guy that signs the
checks should be told, and signs posted if necessary. Of course, if the
guy that signs the checks is the one bringing the dog, you are probably SOL.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
[...]

Not a problem on jobsites that the guy that signs the check wears a
tie...It's the residential sites where a gray longhaired hippy or other lib
moonbat is in charge of building a house for another moonbat which is pretty
common here in The Peoples Republic of Maine...They think it's so cool and
complaints get met with frowns and I'm called a animal hater even if
bitching while trying to clean dog **** out of the deep treads of work
boots...As is the case with all libs...Disagree and you're a
hater/bigot...And I'm SOL , but it helps to rant once in a while..LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have almost always had more thjan one dog, I am self employeed so
around a good bit.

Better the dogs can get outdoors when they want with their playmates,
watch the wildlife, like rabbits on other side of fence and neighbor
kids come to visit.

with at least 2 dogs they are never bored but always happy to see us
come home
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tell her to get off her ass and just let the dam dog go take a ****.
JUST KIDDING !!!