Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default vinyl siding door trim problems, retrofix to install storm door?

On Sep 23, 8:52*pm, B wrote:
Vinyl sided house, the back door was trimmed out in a very, um,
unusual manner. *Looks like the opening for the door didn't get any of
that J-channel stuff, and instead they just screwed 3/4" x 3 1/2"
boards as trim pieces over the siding up to the door opening. *Now I'd
like to install a storm door, and I can see that I might have to rip
out the old trim and try to make that right, before I can get a storm
door installed.

Is it going to be possible to do it right? *I can't really figure out
how to install J channel on siding that 's already installed, because
the siding would need to be cut back somehow to accomodate new trim/
molding. *Maybe it might be expedient to remove the trim boards, and
just do a "best possible" install of brick mold over it? *Who do I
call for help with this? *A good carpenter? *A good siding
installer?

I'll see if I can post some photos tomorrow.

Siding installers are pretty clever people, especially those crews
working at long established shops. They routinely do minor finish
carpentry as part of their installations. Look over the firms in the
yellow pages and give one a call. They will send out a field estimator
to give you a quote and you can decide whether it is fair to your
budget.

Joe