Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doggie Door - sheet vinyl

I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

Thx,
Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

Thx,
Puddin'

Got a yellow pages phone book? Look under "plastic".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

I couldn't find anything when I looked last year. I ended up buying a
set of clear auto floor mats at Target, K-mart, or Menards -- I don't
recall which. It took a few minutes to slice off the carpet spikes, but
that wasn't a big deal. They've held up well.

If you need bigger pieces, you might want to try an online custom
auto/truck floor mat store. They're likely to have stock which would
work for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 8:36?pm, Mike Paulsen wrote:
Puddin' Man wrote:
I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

I couldn't find anything when I looked last year. I ended up buying a
set of clear auto floor mats at Target, K-mart, or Menards -- I don't
recall which. It took a few minutes to slice off the carpet spikes, but
that wasn't a big deal. They've held up well.

If you need bigger pieces, you might want to try an online custom
auto/truck floor mat store. They're likely to have stock which would
work for you.

a regular doggie door will seal better and replacement flaps are
always available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

go to a flooring place, they will probably give you scraps of lineoleum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote:

I tried that. A large name brand door was ~$80.00 and lasted ~6
months. The seal only worked when it was relatively warm and calm.
Replacement flaps weren't stocked locally and the frame was starting
to wear out. It might have faired better if I didn't have labs
charging through it dozens of times a day. I'm sure they make more
expensive doors which function better, but that gets too pricey.

Saw a Far Side cartoon with that very scenario. Large dog, tongue hanging
out, running full speed for the doggie-door. Inside, the door was barricaded
shut with a 2x4. In the corner was a cat, paws over its mouth to keep from
laughing out loud.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ITS CRITICAL to buy a door a good bit larger than the user. otherwise
the flap must bend too much and fails prematurely.

we got a slightly larger dog and I was always replacing flaps which
would break on the top.

installed larger door flap now 3 years old

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/8/2007 7:50 PM Puddin' Man said the following:
I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

That's a pretty large door. No burglars where you live?
How about this:
http://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/Pet...Doors-s/20.htm

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 09:25:42 -0500, willshak wrote:

on 11/8/2007 7:50 PM Puddin' Man said the following:
I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

That's a pretty large door.

Just a liberal material estimate ...

No burglars where you live?

I've had a medium Johnson doggie door for about 20 years. One
time a cat got in, knocked some stuff off a shelf ...

How about this:
http://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/Pet...Doors-s/20.htm

Took a peek yesterday. I'd rather build my own flaps for the
old Johnson frame.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:36:53 -0600, Mike Paulsen wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

I couldn't find anything when I looked last year. I ended up buying a
set of clear auto floor mats at Target, K-mart, or Menards -- I don't
recall which. It took a few minutes to slice off the carpet spikes,

Toenail clipper?

but
that wasn't a big deal. They've held up well.

Thanks. You're the 2nd person I've heard of using carmats.

Seems the vinyl'd be a bit too thin ...

If you need bigger pieces, you might want to try an online custom
auto/truck floor mat store. They're likely to have stock which would
work for you.

Yeah, but could I specify thickness? Maybe I'll take a peek ...

Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 05:00:53 -0800, " wrote:

ITS CRITICAL to buy a door a good bit larger than the user. otherwise
the flap must bend too much and fails prematurely.

Especially in cold weather when the vinyl is less flexible.

Good advice.

we got a slightly larger dog and I was always replacing flaps which
would break on the top.

installed larger door flap now 3 years old

Good move.

Talked with a guy had a 150 lb Great Dane the other day. I'm
betting he don't got noooooo doggie door (unless he had a
custom "big" (i.e. storm) door made). :-)

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
Posted to alt.home.repair

neighbors kids would come over to play with our dogs, usually by
climbing 6 foot chain link fence. I had told them and their parents
they might fall and get hurt.

one day I came home and found the 3 kids all under 6 running thru our
house.

Really I didnt care, but feared for their safety, one never knows they
could of sneaked in a child molesters home.

So I said I wasnt mad but they should go home and tell their parents
what they did it was unsafe.

those kids are now getting ready or in college time does fly.

I was always concerned about a raccoon getting in but I guess the dogs
keep them out of the yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Talked with a guy had a 150 lb Great Dane the other day. I'm
betting he don't got noooooo doggie door (unless he had a
custom "big" (i.e. storm) door made). :-)

I pet sit a friends black lab 145 pounds, he squeezes thru our medium
dog door just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Pudding Dot Man At Gmail Dot Com wrote:

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

It's a short drive for me but I love the folks at
Tap Plastics. I believe they offer mail order service
too.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

The folks in their Fremont, CA store, know their stuff
and are very helpful. I've used them many times and
recommend them highly (with the caveat that I've never
had cause to use their mail order services).

My only affiliation with the company is in my role as
a highly satisfied customer.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 23:15:04 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

In article , Pudding Dot Man At Gmail Dot Com wrote:

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl?
Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am
in Saint Louis, MO.

It's a short drive for me but I love the folks at
Tap Plastics. I believe they offer mail order service
too.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

I took a peek, didn't see anything like 1/4 " sheet vinyl.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Pudding Dot Man At Gmail Dot Com wrote:

It's a short drive for me but I love the folks at
Tap Plastics. I believe they offer mail order service
too.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

I took a peek, didn't see anything like 1/4 " sheet vinyl.

Well, if you mean PVC:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=343&

But, in my experience, they're really good at helping you
choose the best (plastic) material for a given task. So it
may be worth a call anyway.

They're also generous with good advice on how to cut,
drill, machine, glue and perform other operations with
the different materials. I learn something every time
I visit their store.