Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need help how to remove felt backing from old sheet vinyl

Hi.

We're taking up old felt backed sheet vinyl flooring. Ugh. Trying to
get down to the luan layer that we can see beneath.

The vinyl part of the sheet vinyl is peeling up fine, but the felt
backing is pretty tough and doesn't want to come up.

We've tried scraping with pretty dismal results.

Any ideas as to what the solvent might be? This was probably installed
in the 70s or 80s.

All help appreciated!!!

geo

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi.

We're taking up old felt backed sheet vinyl flooring. Ugh. Trying to
get down to the luan layer that we can see beneath.

The vinyl part of the sheet vinyl is peeling up fine, but the felt
backing is pretty tough and doesn't want to come up.

We've tried scraping with pretty dismal results.

Any ideas as to what the solvent might be? This was probably installed
in the 70s or 80s.

All help appreciated!!!

geo

You dont, new floor would never be smooth. You rip up the luan and put new
down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 28, 9:57 am, "Brian V" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi.

We're taking up old felt backed sheet vinyl flooring. Ugh. Trying to
get down to the luan layer that we can see beneath.

The vinyl part of the sheet vinyl is peeling up fine, but the felt
backing is pretty tough and doesn't want to come up.

We've tried scraping with pretty dismal results.

Any ideas as to what the solvent might be? This was probably installed
in the 70s or 80s.

All help appreciated!!!

geo

You dont, new floor would never be smooth. You rip up the luan and put new
down.

Second the motion. The old luan or whatever is probably nailed down
and should come up easily. And the new stuff is really pretty cheap.
HTH

Joe