Donald Gares

Default Vinyl tile over sheet vinyl residue?

Hi,

Remodeling a basement bathroom (concrete floor) that had sheet vinyl on
the floor. When I attempted to remove the vinyl some of it was stuck
tight! I am sure that it was NOT glued but at some time it must have got
wet which resulted in adhering part of it to the floor. The residue that
remains is simply part of the backing and is really stuck and cannot be
removed with even a long handled floor scraper.

Question #1: can I put self sticking vinyl tile over this residue?

Question #2: if I should not put the new tile over the residue how would
you suggest that I remove the residue (actually part of the backing of
the old sheet vinyl)? No, no, not a floor sander. :-)

Thanx to all who reply,

Don

joe

Donald Gares wrote:

Hi,

Remodeling a basement bathroom (concrete floor) that had sheet vinyl on
the floor. When I attempted to remove the vinyl some of it was stuck
tight! I am sure that it was NOT glued but at some time it must have got
wet which resulted in adhering part of it to the floor. The residue that
remains is simply part of the backing and is really stuck and cannot be
removed with even a long handled floor scraper.

Question #1: can I put self sticking vinyl tile over this residue?

Question #2: if I should not put the new tile over the residue how would
you suggest that I remove the residue (actually part of the backing of
the old sheet vinyl)? No, no, not a floor sander. :-)

Thanx to all who reply,

Don

I had similar problem used a terrazzo grinder then stained the concrete.
hope to never have to work on again.