Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default doggie door

On Jul 17, 7:44*am, willshak wrote:
on 7/17/2009 12:33 AM (ET) nefletch wrote the following:

I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. *I do have a favor to ask. *My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. *We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. *Any suggestions will
be appreciated. *thx

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you
know, get up and let it out.
A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used
by burglars to unlock doors.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out"

We have a bell hanging from the handle of our sliding door to the
deck. The cat rings it when she wants to go out. Might work for a dog
also. (It's kind of fun to ignore it sometimes. She'll actually hit it
harder if we don't move quick enough.)

When she wants to come in, she jumps up on the screen* and drops to
the deck. We hear the thump and let her in. That could be an issue for
a dog.

When we put the dogs out front on the leash, they'll drag their claws
down the bottom panel of the aluminum storm door when they want to
come back in. You can't miss that racket! We can usually tell when
they want to go out, so we don't need a bell. Besides, they get walked
regularly, so the "out-front leash time" is more for just hanging out.

* We use the pet-proof screening. The cat has been doing this for over
2 years and there is not one imperfection showing on the material.