Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default doggie door

benick wrote:

"Hipupchuck" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:19�pm, Hipupchuck wrote:
nefletch wrote:
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and
I thank them for it. �I do have a favor to ask. �My wife
wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to
the outside, not just from the garage. �We have 6 months
of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good
quality airtight type doggie door. �Any suggestions will
be appreciated. �thx
Get an electric opener for the door with a button the dog can push with
his nose. Then he can open the door and go in and out as he wishes but
other animals can't. He can be trained to do this.

they have automated versions of this, pet wears a special collar that
unlocks door.

having had multiple dogs over last 12 years the doggie door is
awesome.......

no worry of getting home late pet must be let out etc. its all
automatic.

we have gone on vacation for a week without concerns, just have a
friend check food and water daily.

On another note; Why have animals if they are alone all the time? I do
not have animals nor do I miss them. These compassion neurotics cause
animal loneliness for nothing.

I agree...Now that we have an empty nest and the wife is back at work
(used to be a stay at home mom)we no longer have a pet since our last
dog passed on...It would be alone 8-10 hours a day...Not fair to the
pet....

Another pet peeve of mine is job site mutts...Some IDIOTS think it is ok
to bring their mutt to the jobsite to be under foot and beg for food at
lunch and break or even steal your lunch if you leave it where said mutt
can get it...They think everyone on the job will look out for their
mutt...A MAJOR PITA...Leave them home....

Agreed on the pets for people that aren't at home most of the time-
unless you have a huge yard and an outside pen, and multiple animals so
they can socialize, it isn't fair to the animal. As to the job site
mutts- let the boss wearing the tie and/or the insurance company guy
and/or the DOL safety inspector be the bad guy. Having a dog around
when you are using power tools or heavy equipment or chemicals, or even
just standing up a wall, is like having a toddler around. They don't
mean to cause harm, to themselves or others, but they are curious and/or
bored. The animal will get hurt at some point, or cause a worker to get
hurt tripping over it or watching out for it. The guy that signs the
checks should be told, and signs posted if necessary. Of course, if the
guy that signs the checks is the one bringing the dog, you are probably SOL.

--
aem sends...