Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default doggie doors

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:11:08 -0600, nefletch wrote:

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my hounds can let
themselves in and out. I was cruising the net, and I seen one that will
install in the wall, has double doors, and does look pretty nice, but $
270.00 ? Crap, (excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice
doggie door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door? thanks in advance

I got one from HD and I think it was less than $100, but only just -
they're pretty expensive for what they are.

I think the "thick wall mounting kit" (or whatever they call it) was
about another $90, so I just bought some threaded rod, washers and acorn
nuts for a few bucks and lined the space "inside" the wall with some ply
that I had laying around from another job. Painted it all and sealed it,
and I expect it'll need a little maintenance every few years (the
downside of not having the plastic-fantastic kit :-)

I'm yet to do a winter with it. I've noticed that sometimes one of the
rubber doors doesn't quite close fully despite the magnets if the dog
goes through by pushing the door at the side rather than the bottom, so
that's going to cause some problems during cold season.

cheers

Jules