Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default doggie doors

nefletch wrote:
I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my
hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the
net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double
doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap,
(excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie
door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door?
thanks in advance

Yep, $270 is obscene. You can get (some) doggie doors at the box store and
install them yourself.

What's the garage mde of? Is is brick veneer over fiberboard over studs and
insulation over sheetrock? Or is it bare studs on the inside and a clapboard
exterior? Or are you planning on putting the doggie door in either the car
or human door?

Usually a doggie door is a pretty simple device. A hole, a flap and you're
done.

Ideas:

* Wooden flap with magnets at the bottom to hold it shut, like used on curio
cabinets.
* Rubber sheet flap the animals can squeeze through.
* Plan on some locking mechanism to keep the animals wherever you want them
to be.

Problems:

* If big enough - and the dogs are friendly enough - a burglar can squeeze
in.
* Other animals can use the door (raccoons, cats, opossums, foxes, etc.),
but most can't (frogs, turtles, grackles, salamanders).