Posted to alt.home.repair

Default META: Why plonk?

[META = meta-discussion. Similar to OT in that no on-topic material to
a.h.r in message]

Apropos the ongoing discussions in various places here about killfiling,
plonking, etc., a serious question to y'all:

Why killfile or plonk at all?

I'm asking this earnestly and hoping to get some good answers to this
question.

My take on the whole situation is this: There's no good reason to use a
killfile at all. Even if there are lots of objectionable messages in a
newsgroup, meaning messages that you don't want to read.

Why do I say this? Well, it's because even if one uses a killfile to
remove such objectionable messages from one's sight, one *still* has to
exercise judgment--that is, actually use one's brain--in deciding which
messages to read.

Especially in a group as active as this one. Look at it this way: let's
say for the sake of discussion that somehow, by some miracle, all the
spam, all the off-topic messages, etc., just disappeared from here
overnight. All that's left are postings that are on-topic to a.h.r.

So what now? Even in this new utopian situation, you're *still* gonna
have to decide which messages to read and which to skip (well, unless
you're some kind of total home repair omnivore or something). To me,
most of the threads here are of little interest to me, so I don't bother
reading them. Obviously, they're of interest to someone else, so I have
no problem with their being here; I just choose to skip over them. Simple.

I do the same with spam, which is very easy to recognize, and a lot of
the off-topic threads. And some of our resident trolls, like Harry, even
make this very easy by thoughtfully labeling such threads "OT".

So what's the big problemo? Simply read what you want and ignore the
rest. No need to rant and rave, to complain about all the people abusing
the group, etc., etc. Hey, folks, this is Usenet, not the Algonquin
Round Table, for chrissakes.

As I've stated elsehere, this group is nowhere near "wrecked" as some
claim. I've seen wrecked newsgroups, and this one is a long way away
from that sorry state. Sure, the spam gets a bit thick here--that's
because it's one of the more active groups around, and spammers like
traffic--but it could be much worse. And surprisingly, there's little of
the really malicious types of postings, where people impersonate other
posters and post really vile crap under their names (for an example,
check out recent postings in sci.electronics.repair). These sorts of
concerted attacks occur in various groups from time to time, but we've
been spared for the time being.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why plonk?

There are some posters who consistently provoke, rude, or insulting,
or confrontational, or just no useful content. It's much easier to
plonk, than to have to delete the messages every day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2010 5:35 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

There are some posters who consistently provoke, rude, or insulting,
or confrontational, or just no useful content. It's much easier to
plonk, than to have to delete the messages every day.

[all previous contents of thread lost because of Stormy's totally
nonstandard posting method]

What do you mean "delete the messages"? This is a newsgroup--you can't
delete anything.

Or do you have some nonstandard way of reading this group as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[META = meta-discussion. Similar to OT in that no on-topic material to
a.h.r in message]

Apropos the ongoing discussions in various places here about killfiling,
plonking, etc., a serious question to y'all:

Why killfile or plonk at all?

It is wasted motion, IMO. Pretty much like thumbing your nose at
someone...simpler to just end the discourse if someone bothers you. I
rarely get upset at posts to newsgroups, unless someone goes out of
their way to be personally insulting.

One regular "plonker" tends to take issue with others' waste of
webspace, but that is all that a plonk is.

I would argue that this ng is getting too loaded with junk, especially
when certain individuals routinely post only political junk. I have
seen another ng go that way, constant trolling, arguing with insults on
arcane political issues, the regulars went away and then the ng finally
disappeared.

I wonder if the economy has reduced the amount of posts here...folks
just aren't doing home repair?

I dislike people insulting religions in any n.g....
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
[snipped]

PDFTFT!

(Please Don't Feed The F**king Trolls)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , " wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[snipped]

PDFTFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
snip

Why killfile or plonk at all?

snip
There are some groups that have cross posting trolls. If post are
cross posted to certain groups, I have set my news reader to ignore
all of those post. I also have a rule that ignores post that contain
a combination of words and/or symbols. I subscribe to over 100 groups
and just don't have the time or desire to individually ignore all of
those messages.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[META = meta-discussion. Similar to OT in that no on-topic material to
a.h.r in message]

Apropos the ongoing discussions in various places here about killfiling,
plonking, etc., a serious question to y'all:

Why killfile or plonk at all?

I'm asking this earnestly and hoping to get some good answers to this
question.

There is a couple of good reasons to killfile people. One is the
troll (There is one floating around the cruises Usenet group now) who
never adds anything to the conversation, calls people names, makes lewd
comments, curses, etc. I don't even want to take the time to see if this
idiot is around.
Another is the idiot who you try to have a conversation with, but if
you don't agree with him, he starts to go off. Again, if you can't be
civil, I have no desire to even invest enough time in you to see your
name and then hit a button.
The last one is any post from Google Groups. Google does nothing to
stem the flow of spam and I just don't want to deal with it.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2010 6:56 PM Doug Miller spake thus:

In article ,
" wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[snipped]

PDFTFT

So you have such a sensitive hair-trigger that even a (meta-) discussion
of killfiling makes you say "troll"? WTF?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
There are some posters who consistently provoke, rude, or insulting,
or confrontational, or just no useful content. It's much easier to
plonk, than to have to delete the messages every day.

^^ What he said. On another group I read frequently (the metal group),
there exist certain individuals whose s/n approaches a very small number.
By plonking enough of them, I end up with some conversations (specifically
the political bickering topics) not appearing *at all* in my newsreader.

AHR isn't as bad as that group *yet*, but it makes a sizeable difference in
some groups.

Unfortunately, I do lose some on topic contributions by very intelligent
individuals, which is my loss, but this comes at the benefit of a little
more sanity.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

AHR is so broad that it's as if everything here is crossposted. Each
thread will be seen by many who may not be knowledgeable or even
interested but still want to be heard, and there will be plenty to
follow suit. (Congressman Felix Walker was like that, demanding to be
heard when he had nothing to say. That's where the term "bunkum" came
from.)

What if AHR split into several groups?
AHR structure
AHR appliances
AHR small engines/auto
AHR wiring/plumbing/hvac
AHR misc

Wishing to be entertained but not informed, I'd subscribe to AHR misc.
If I went to one of the other forums to be informed, I'd probably find
fewer uninformative posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 26, 7:41*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

SNIP

Exhibit one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , J Burns wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

How about adding alt.home.repair.off-topic-politics? That appears to
me to be easy enough to do for an alt.* newsgroup. AHR posters wanting
to talk about politics would then merely post pointers into AHR for
political discussions by AHR-posting people.

Heck, I seem to think that sci.electronics.design needs to have a
related political discussion group. However, sci.* is one of the "Big 8"
and that means more and taller hurdles for creating a "recognized"
newsgroup.

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why plonk?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/26/2010 5:35 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

There are some posters who consistently provoke, rude, or insulting,
or confrontational, or just no useful content. It's much easier to
plonk, than to have to delete the messages every day.

[all previous contents of thread lost because of Stormy's totally
nonstandard posting method]

It looks like only one message got "derailed" - and what's with META? Call
it what it is, OT, or you risk being thought of as a US Terrorist Control
Network Designerwith Code Oranges, Blues, Pinks, Yellow with Purple stripes,
light green and blue dots, etc. K.I.S.S.

What do you mean "delete the messages"? This is a newsgroup--you can't
delete anything.

Delete or mark as read, it's the same thing. David, you're a smart guy and
I agree with you on a wide range of subjects, but you're running the risk of
being what my Army bud calls "a needle dicked bug raper" meaning someone
who's obsessing over very tiny things with less than honorable intentions.

Using the letters OT at the beginning of the subject line says "I am at
least respectful enough of my fellow posters to make the effort to add two
stinking letters to my OT posts." What's wrong with being considerate? I
find nothing wrong with trying to make it easy for the OT-adverse to avoid
creating filters to work around that which they do not wish to see.
Although I come down now on the OT's "right to live" I was not always in
that camp. I am well aware that having to scan over unrelated crap really
does bother people and wastes their time. Worse, it puts them in a foul
enough mood to bite the heads off newbies when perhaps they didn't mean to.

So much good can come out of being respectful enough of others to use OT at
the beginning of a subject heading that I can't imagine why anyone
*wouldn't* do it. Your couple of keystrokes can save others a hell of a lot
of frustration and the need to make dozens of "N" pushes for NEXT. It's a
bother, a very legitmate bother, and one with an absurdly simple solution.
If the OT-adverse complain even after OT threads are religiously marked,
then the crown of "needle-dicked bug raper" can be put on *their* heads.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote the following:
[META = meta-discussion. Similar to OT in that no on-topic material to
a.h.r in message]

Apropos the ongoing discussions in various places here about
killfiling, plonking, etc., a serious question to y'all:

Why killfile or plonk at all?

Because when someone comes into the dance hall and takes a **** in the
middle of the floor, you want to clean it up rather than dancing around
it, or stepping in it and spreading it.around. Simple enough for you?

[...]

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Touch delete, and click on the confirm "YES" box. And then the message
disappears. Very simple.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

What do you mean "delete the messages"? This is a newsgroup--you can't
delete anything.

Or do you have some nonstandard way of reading this group as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , J Burns wrote:

What if AHR split into several groups?
AHR structure
AHR appliances
AHR small engines/auto
AHR wiring/plumbing/hvac
AHR misc

Wishing to be entertained but not informed, I'd subscribe to AHR misc.
If I went to one of the other forums to be informed, I'd probably find
fewer uninformative posts.

No, because trolls such as David and harry would simply cross- or multi-post
to *all* of the groups.

PDFTFT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jim Rusling wrote:

[snip]
PDFTFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[snip]
PDFTFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ron wrote:

[snip]
PDFTFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , willshak wrote:

[snip]
PDFTFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Robert Green" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

[snip]
PDFTFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:41:02 -0700, David Nebenzahl ǝʇoɹʍ:

I'm asking this earnestly and hoping to get some good answers to this
question.

*PLONK*

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message
[...]

There are a lot of political and social dick heads around here who have good
info on home repairs. But when they post stuff and not mark it OT, I tend
to delete their submissions. (Notice I did not use the P word.) So, some
valuable help and information is possibly lost. But when I come here, I
don't want to sift through all the debris to find the nuggets, and when
people mark OT OT, it surely helps, it keeps their credibility, it keeps
them on my screen, and it doesn't get them labeled as some spewing loony.

My two pennies, anyway.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Robert Green"
wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com...

[snip]
PDFTFT

What does that mean? I went to four Google returns, and did not find out.
I'm busy here. Is it secret code? Can I make up stuff that only I know
what it means, like IDKWTFYATA? (I don't know what the f you are talking
about.)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Touch delete, and click on the confirm "YES" box. And then the message
disappears. Very simple.

In OE, you can also hit "CTRL T" to mark an entire thread as "read", so if
you have ViewCurrentView set to "HideReadMessages", it disappears.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Usually it is just a troll, by someone who is unskilled or someone
who enjoys playing with an imaginary kill file friend that comes
and goes.

The only real filter is Ignore SubThread. If you see a troll
reply, you just hit the Ignore SubThread key/function and that
takes care of the problem and any replies to that problem, like
pruning the branches of a tree. It is the filter of filters. But,
unfortunately, not all newsreaders include Ignore SubThread. I
guess what sort of filters you need depends on what you use UseNet
for.

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:41:02 -0700
From: David Nebenzahl nobody but.us.chickens
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: META: Why plonk?

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
[META = meta-discussion. Similar to OT in that no on-topic material to
a.h.r in message]

Apropos the ongoing discussions in various places here about
killfiling,
plonking, etc., a serious question to y'all:

Why killfile or plonk at all?

I'm asking this earnestly and hoping to get some good answers to this
question.

My take on the whole situation is this: There's no good reason to use
killfile at all. Even if there are lots of objectionable messages in a
newsgroup, meaning messages that you don't want to read.

I killfile all the time, mainly because I generally use the laptop at the
kitchen table with my wife around, and often enough, grandchildren. Any
subject that contains an obscenity, and all followup messages, I killfile
the senders imediately, ditto for similar language within a message. I'm
not easily offended, really, but we do eat at this same table, and letting
these yokels in the room is akin to asking them over for a beer..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2010 3:07 PM K spake thus:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Sorry, can't resist, but why? Do your grandkids peek over your shoulder
while you're reading all those fascinating postings about nail guns and
roofing materials and flooring? Or do you read the messages aloud at the
table?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/10 7:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Touch delete, and click on the confirm "YES" box. And then the message
disappears. Very simple.

Also simple is to respond to messages correctly. And that includes
avoiding top-posting. You must be retarded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Karl" wrote in message

Also simple is to respond to messages correctly. And that includes
avoiding top-posting. You must be retarded.

That would be Stormin Moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2010 7:48 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/26/2010 5:35 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

There are some posters who consistently provoke, rude, or insulting,
or confrontational, or just no useful content. It's much easier to
plonk, than to have to delete the messages every day.

[all previous contents of thread lost because of Stormy's totally
nonstandard posting method]

What do you mean "delete the messages"? This is a newsgroup--you can't
delete anything.

Or do you have some nonstandard way of reading this group as well?

Well David, I use Thunderbird as my newsreader and I press "R" to
mark a thread as read and "K" to kill a thread so I don't see it
again. You don't have to killfile anyone if you don't like the
subject or contents of a post or thread.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2010 9:23 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:41:02 -0700, David Nebenzahl ǝʇoɹʍ:

I'm asking this earnestly and hoping to get some good answers to this
question.

*PLONK*

Plow, what the hell are you doing here? FLNF©

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:36:58 -0400, "h"
wrote:

Are the Plonksaurs? The same nym-shifter that plonkacated me?

I forget!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Karl" wrote in message
On 6/27/10 7:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Touch delete, and click on the confirm "YES" box. And then the message
disappears. Very simple.

Also simple is to respond to messages correctly. And that includes
avoiding top-posting. You must be retarded.

He top posts like that so his religious sig is always visible.

Always has since I have known him. A few ootsie cutesie words in response
to who knows what, then that religious sig. More of a reason to post his
sig than to give an answer to the discussion.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:19:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

and I press "R" to
mark a thread as read and "K" to kill a thread so I don't see it
again. You don't have to killfile anyone if you don't like the
subject or contents of a post or thread.

Nobody here can just right click a message? I seldom have to reach for
a key, if ever!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

and I press "R" to
mark a thread as read and "K" to kill a thread so I don't see it
again. You don't have to killfile anyone if you don't like the
subject or contents of a post or thread.

Nobody here can just right click a message? I seldom have to reach for
a key, if ever!

I can right click a lot of things in Thunderbird but I don't see
anything in the right click dialog box about killing a thread.
I'm an old school command line freak so keyboard strikes are often
faster for me than mouse clicks. Oh no, that just brought back
memories of 1965 and punch cards for the Univac and IBM mainframe
computers. Yikes! You could tell a computer geek by the box of
punch cards and ream of computer paper under his arm. There was
usually a slide rule hanging from his belt too.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

and I press "R" to
mark a thread as read and "K" to kill a thread so I don't see it
again. You don't have to killfile anyone if you don't like the
subject or contents of a post or thread.

Nobody here can just right click a message? I seldom have to reach for
a key, if ever!

So what do you do after you right click? 'Will' a selection?

I can 'right click' - then hit 'I' or select ignore -- or I can just
hit 'I'. [I prefer 'K', though]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Karl" wrote in message
On 6/27/10 7:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Touch delete, and click on the confirm "YES" box. And then the message
disappears. Very simple.

Also simple is to respond to messages correctly. And that includes
avoiding top-posting. You must be retarded.

Another damned net-nanny!

Plonk!!!