Matt

Default PLONK!

As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about this
action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

killfiled.

Now, here is what is hilarious: The 'Plonker' ALWAYS lets the 'Plonkee'
know they have been 'Plonked', by responding to a post that they don't
agree with by using the phrase 'Plonk', sometimes 'Plonk!', or, my
personal favorite - '*Plonk*'.

Why would the plonker feel the need to do this? Could they not, for
example, simply killfile the person and then remain silent? Or, is this
the usenet equivelant of 'Nanny nany boo boo, I can't hear you - and
now I told you'?

Am I really supposed to care that I've been 'plonked'? Does the fact
that someone I don't know, and will never know has claimed that they
are ignoring me - supposed to cause me some sort of pain?

Here is the funny part though: Plonkers RARELY, if EVER, actually
'plonk' anyone. Oh sure, they tell you they did... but it's not long
before someone who is supposedly ignoring me comes back with a lame
attempt at an insult sooner or later.
I don't understand it, but I do think it's hilarious.

Non-Starter

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I really supposed to care that I've been 'plonked'? Does the fact
that someone I don't know, and will never know has claimed that they
are ignoring me - supposed to cause me some sort of pain?

Based upon this bizarre and pathetic topic that you have posted, they have
succeeded in causing you pain.

zxcvbob

Matt wrote:
As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about this
action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

killfiled.

Now, here is what is hilarious: The 'Plonker' ALWAYS lets the 'Plonkee'
know they have been 'Plonked', by responding to a post that they don't
agree with by using the phrase 'Plonk', sometimes 'Plonk!', or, my
personal favorite - '*Plonk*'.

Why would the plonker feel the need to do this? Could they not, for
example, simply killfile the person and then remain silent? Or, is this
the usenet equivelant of 'Nanny nany boo boo, I can't hear you - and
now I told you'?

Yes. It's an infantile way of having the last word on some topic.

Am I really supposed to care that I've been 'plonked'? Does the fact
that someone I don't know, and will never know has claimed that they
are ignoring me - supposed to cause me some sort of pain?

You are supposed to be emotionally devastated. ;-)

Here is the funny part though: Plonkers RARELY, if EVER, actually
'plonk' anyone. Oh sure, they tell you they did... but it's not long
before someone who is supposedly ignoring me comes back with a lame
attempt at an insult sooner or later.
I don't understand it, but I do think it's hilarious.

When I do killfile someone, I don't make a big production out of it, and
I usually unkillfile them after a couple of weeks. Maybe the plonkers
are also using their killfile as a "penalty box" rather than a death
sentence... but I doubt it.

Best regards,
Bob

Matt

Ah!

I was wondering how long it would be before the resident psychiatrist
came out with his evaluation!

Damn, I've been found out, my charade is ended.
Well, non-starter, all I can say to you is: PLONK!

Matt

Thanks Bob!

willshak

On 1/26/2005 2:11 PM US(ET), zxcvbob took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Matt wrote:

As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about this
action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

[...]

I am with you. I currently have 15 usernames killfiled in this a.h.r. group.
No one knows who they are, because I haven't made a big announcement
about who they are, like that is supposed to influence anyone else.

--
Bill
Kathy

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Bob!

Actually Matt, I have considered "plonking" you but your gibberish is
entertaining sometimes.

Matt

Well, I try! Thanks for the kind words!

Matt

Here ya go, Non-Starter.
http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w.../therapist.htm

Matt

Well, I've never plonked anyone, so I'm not a plonker.

I think... I'm a Plonkee.

But, I can't be sure because Effi didn't really plonk me (you see, the
brain surgeon responded to a post of mine - _after_ she claims to have
plonked me).... so it's difficult to say.

I think the real problem here is that it's been FAR TOO LONG since
anyone plonked Effe. In fact, I'd be surprised if Effe even remembered
how to plonk anymore........

John Doe

"Matt" wrote:

As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about
this action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

killfiled.

That's supposed to be the intent.

Now, here is what is hilarious: The 'Plonker' ALWAYS lets the
'Plonkee' know they have been 'Plonked', by responding to a post
that they don't agree with by using the phrase 'Plonk', sometimes
'Plonk!', or, my personal favorite - '*Plonk*'.

Not always.

Why would the plonker feel the need to do this? Could they not, for
example, simply killfile the person and then remain silent? Or, is
this the usenet equivelant of 'Nanny nany boo boo, I can't hear you
- and now I told you'?

That is correct. Kill filing doesn't work well enough for them, so
they attempt to intimidate the person they are trying to squelch. It
still doesn't work.

Am I really supposed to care that I've been 'plonked'? Does the
fact that someone I don't know, and will never know has claimed
that they are ignoring me - supposed to cause me some sort of pain?

Yes. And some will plonk you several times.

Here is the funny part though: Plonkers RARELY, if EVER, actually
'plonk' anyone. Oh sure, they tell you they did... but it's not
long before someone who is supposedly ignoring me comes back with a
lame attempt at an insult sooner or later.

Kill filing is a clumsy workaround. The author stumbles over all of
the replies to you. Besides, you never know who (among regulars) is
going to provide useful information or choose to flame you.

Subject based filtering is best. The only filter I need is Ignore
Subthread (ignore thread branch). That is an exceptionally useful
filter which takes care of the trolls and those who reply to them.
Unfortunately, some of the more popular newsreaders do not include
the ability to ignore a thread branch (Ignore Subthread). It just
"ignores from here down", so it works for ignoring the whole thread
as well as thread branches.

Have fun.

I don't understand it, but I do think it's hilarious.

willshak

On 1/26/2005 4:53 PM US(ET), John Doe took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

"Matt" wrote:

As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about
this action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

[...]

Subject based filtering is best. The only filter I need is Ignore
Subthread (ignore thread branch). That is an exceptionally useful
filter which takes care of the trolls and those who reply to them.
Unfortunately, some of the more popular newsreaders do not include
the ability to ignore a thread branch (Ignore Subthread). It just
"ignores from here down", so it works for ignoring the whole thread
as well as thread branches.

Have fun.

My criteria for a 'plonk' is different.
Does the plonkee post some useful information at times, or is he/she
always an asshole?
Is the 'plonkee' just testing his/her standup routine for a possible gig
at 'The Comedy Club" or "Carolines", and is the routine worthy of me
paying to see their show?
Is the plonkee just a knuckle dragging, foul mouthed, neanderthal posing
as a 'professional' from another group claiming to be only for members
of a certain profession?

--
Bill
Matt

Damn! I'm glad none of those criteria apply to me!

Kern

"Matt" wrote in message
As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about this
action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

[...]

I need a good Plonking. Guess I'm just going to have to go Plonk myself.
DN B

'The 'Plonker' ALWAYS lets the 'Plonkee' know they have been 'Plonked',
by responding to a post that they don't agree with by using the phrase
'Plonk', sometimes 'Plonk!', or, my personal favorite - '*Plonk*'.
Why would the plonker feel the need to do this?'

I dont know....Plonk etiquette perhaps ?!

Jim B

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:50:32 GMT, "Kern" wrote:

If you need a good Plonking, you should go to the BEST Plonkee available in this
ng. By the way who is the best Plonkee, Plonker, Plonkler? (I am Ponfusse)

I need a good Plonking. Guess I'm just going to have to go Plonk myself.

Rich

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ah!

I was wondering how long it would be before the resident psychiatrist
came out with his evaluation!

Damn, I've been found out, my charade is ended.
Well, non-starter, all I can say to you is: PLONK!

Since your not talking about home improvement all I can say is, well PLONK.

I would appreciate if you would do the same for me Matt.

John Doe

"Rich" wrote:

Since your not talking about home improvement all I can say is,
well PLONK. I would appreciate if you would do the same for me
Matt.

And give up saying nasty things about you behind your back?

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

Matt wrote:

As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about this
action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

[...]

Will someone please take the time to coach me in successfully kill
filing someone. I'm not concerned with the chameleons who change
identities to bypass such blocking but rather with marking as read the
users that I don't ever find with anything helpful to say. I'm using
mozilla thunderbird as my newsreader.
--
Tom H
zxcvbob

Matt wrote:

As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about this
action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

[...]

When the offending message is open, click on the Message pulldown, then
select "Create filter from message...". In the actions box, check
"delete the message". It won't really delete the message, but it will
deleted the downloaded headers for any further message from that sender.
HTH :-)

Bob
KissHanksAss

"DN B" wrote in message

Why would the plonker feel the need to do this?'

I dont know....Plonk etiquette perhaps ?!

You are the expert Asshole! having been plonked so many times by so many
people!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" wrote in message
Why would the plonker feel the need to do this? Could they not, for
example, simply killfile the person and then remain silent? Or, is this
the usenet equivelant of 'Nanny nany boo boo, I can't hear you - and
now I told you'?

In most cases, the Plonker has an orgasm doing it. It is electronic
masturbation.

If I'm not interested in a thread, I just ignore it. If I disagree with
something said, I may debate it. A good debate is usually educational for
both parties.
Ed

Yuban Hadd

Well, of course you doin't know dave, because you're a trolling
uneducated webtv asshole.....you never will understand Plonk, killfile,
or PC's cause you're too ****ing stupid....so let me explain

An e-mail killfile means than when you send me your religious garbage
it goes right into the trashcan I NEVER SEE IT

MUADIB®

On 26 Jan 2005 12:12:06 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Here ya go, Non-Starter.
http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w.../therapist.htm

That's Some Funny S#!&!!!!
Where do people come up with this stuff??

LMAO!

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
MUADIB®

On 26 Jan 2005 13:40:01 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Well, I've never plonked anyone, so I'm not a plonker.

I think... I'm a Plonkee.

But, I can't be sure because Effi didn't really plonk me (you see, the
brain surgeon responded to a post of mine - _after_ she claims to have
plonked me).... so it's difficult to say.

I think the real problem here is that it's been FAR TOO LONG since
anyone plonked Effe. In fact, I'd be surprised if Effe even remembered
how to plonk anymore........

For some reason, I am having a problem with Angelfire letting me
change the file name on this one, So instead of it saying "Effi" it
says Singleton

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ssterile/SINGLETON.html

I tried....................LOL

( effi, get some really thick Skin. It'll help with the fun stuff.)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
David Combs

In article ,

Subject based filtering is best. The only filter I need is Ignore
Subthread (ignore thread branch). That is an exceptionally useful
filter which takes care of the trolls and those who reply to them.
Unfortunately, some of the more popular newsreaders do not include
the ability to ignore a thread branch (Ignore Subthread). It just
"ignores from here down", so it works for ignoring the whole thread
as well as thread branches.

Off topic, maybe, but I find the newsreader "trn4" just wonderful.

Runs on unix,linux, probably mac osx, and *maybe* there's a
version that will run on windows -- or maybe not.

Re threads (trn stands for threaded news reader), trn (trn4 is
just version 4 of it) can produce a ascii-char drawn lying-on-its-side
tree, showing where you are now in the thread, how many followups (you
can see them), subthread offshoots, etc.

Really neat.

Like this one:

[1] on the fritz
[2] Resume' (two accents or one?)
[3] biscotti and biscuits
[4] Biscotti and pastas (was plural of "curriculum vitae")
[5] Troll-in-the-box.
[6] "Civil War" (was biscotti & biscuits)
[7] Biscotti and pastas and basta already!
[8] Onomatopoetic Names; was on the fritz
[9] oats (was biscotti and biscuits)
[A] plural of "curriculum vitae"

-(1)
( )--( )+-( )+-( )--(A)--(A)--(A)--(5)
| |-( )--( )--(2)--(2)--(2)
| |-( )--( )+-( )--[A]
| | |-( )--(A)
| | |-(A)--(A)
| | \-(A)
| \-( )--( )+-( )+-(A)--(A)--(4)--(4)--(4)--(4)--(4)+-(4)
| | | |-[4]--[4]--7]
| | | \-[4]
| | |-[A]+-[A]
| | | \-[A]
| | \-[3]+-[3]--[3]
| | |-[3]--[3]--[3]
| | |-[3]
| | |-[3]--[3]
| | |-[3]--[3]--[3]
| | |-[3]--[3]+-[3]--[3]+-[3]+-[3]--[6]--[6]+- | | | | | | | | | | | | | \-(Mail) E
| | | \-[3]
| | |-[3]
| | |-[3]+-[3]
| | | \-[3]--[3]+-[3]
| | | |-[3]+-[3]
| | | \-[3]
| | \-[3]--[3]--[A]
| \-[A]--[A]
\-( )--( )--[1]--[1]
[3]
[3]
-[3]
-[3]

That's the FULL picture, nice when you need it.

But automatically, for every post, it'll show just a small local part
of the tree.

Really nice!

Oh -- note the little table at the top, keying the numbers to the
various subjects convered in this particular *single* thread.

David