willshak

On 1/26/2005 4:53 PM US(ET), John Doe took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

"Matt" wrote:

As Effi has so masterfully 'plonked' me, I decided to ask about
this action.

From what I understand - this is the term applied when someone is

killfiled.

That's supposed to be the intent.

Now, here is what is hilarious: The 'Plonker' ALWAYS lets the
'Plonkee' know they have been 'Plonked', by responding to a post
that they don't agree with by using the phrase 'Plonk', sometimes
'Plonk!', or, my personal favorite - '*Plonk*'.

Not always.

Why would the plonker feel the need to do this? Could they not, for
example, simply killfile the person and then remain silent? Or, is
this the usenet equivelant of 'Nanny nany boo boo, I can't hear you
- and now I told you'?

That is correct. Kill filing doesn't work well enough for them, so
they attempt to intimidate the person they are trying to squelch. It
still doesn't work.

Am I really supposed to care that I've been 'plonked'? Does the
fact that someone I don't know, and will never know has claimed
that they are ignoring me - supposed to cause me some sort of pain?

Yes. And some will plonk you several times.

Here is the funny part though: Plonkers RARELY, if EVER, actually
'plonk' anyone. Oh sure, they tell you they did... but it's not
long before someone who is supposedly ignoring me comes back with a
lame attempt at an insult sooner or later.

Kill filing is a clumsy workaround. The author stumbles over all of
the replies to you. Besides, you never know who (among regulars) is
going to provide useful information or choose to flame you.

Subject based filtering is best. The only filter I need is Ignore
Subthread (ignore thread branch). That is an exceptionally useful
filter which takes care of the trolls and those who reply to them.
Unfortunately, some of the more popular newsreaders do not include
the ability to ignore a thread branch (Ignore Subthread). It just
"ignores from here down", so it works for ignoring the whole thread
as well as thread branches.

Have fun.

My criteria for a 'plonk' is different.
Does the plonkee post some useful information at times, or is he/she
always an asshole?
Is the 'plonkee' just testing his/her standup routine for a possible gig
at 'The Comedy Club" or "Carolines", and is the routine worthy of me
paying to see their show?
Is the plonkee just a knuckle dragging, foul mouthed, neanderthal posing
as a 'professional' from another group claiming to be only for members
of a certain profession?

--
Bill