Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT Why plonk?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/26/2010 5:35 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

There are some posters who consistently provoke, rude, or insulting,
or confrontational, or just no useful content. It's much easier to
plonk, than to have to delete the messages every day.

[all previous contents of thread lost because of Stormy's totally
nonstandard posting method]

It looks like only one message got "derailed" - and what's with META? Call
it what it is, OT, or you risk being thought of as a US Terrorist Control
Network Designerwith Code Oranges, Blues, Pinks, Yellow with Purple stripes,
light green and blue dots, etc. K.I.S.S.

What do you mean "delete the messages"? This is a newsgroup--you can't
delete anything.

Delete or mark as read, it's the same thing. David, you're a smart guy and
I agree with you on a wide range of subjects, but you're running the risk of
being what my Army bud calls "a needle dicked bug raper" meaning someone
who's obsessing over very tiny things with less than honorable intentions.

Using the letters OT at the beginning of the subject line says "I am at
least respectful enough of my fellow posters to make the effort to add two
stinking letters to my OT posts." What's wrong with being considerate? I
find nothing wrong with trying to make it easy for the OT-adverse to avoid
creating filters to work around that which they do not wish to see.
Although I come down now on the OT's "right to live" I was not always in
that camp. I am well aware that having to scan over unrelated crap really
does bother people and wastes their time. Worse, it puts them in a foul
enough mood to bite the heads off newbies when perhaps they didn't mean to.

So much good can come out of being respectful enough of others to use OT at
the beginning of a subject heading that I can't imagine why anyone
*wouldn't* do it. Your couple of keystrokes can save others a hell of a lot
of frustration and the need to make dozens of "N" pushes for NEXT. It's a
bother, a very legitmate bother, and one with an absurdly simple solution.
If the OT-adverse complain even after OT threads are religiously marked,
then the crown of "needle-dicked bug raper" can be put on *their* heads.

--
Bobby G.